Unveiling of WABC-TV's New Set / Studio

Vlad

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little off-topic...but is anyone else having trouble getting on WABC's website? It's giving me the "URL cannot be found" message.

Edit: All O&O websites are down right now...maintenance, perhaps?

It's back online now.

Overall I give it a 9 out of 10. I really like the studio. The only thing that is really overpowering is the gigantic ABC 7 logo in the center of the desk, but obviously that will not change anytime soon as they would have to reconstruct the desk, lol. Also another pet peeve is the individual screens. Other than that, its really not that bad. The camera shakiness hopefully will be fixed in the near future I hope. I just wish the graphics were a tad bit cleaner, such the WPVI graphics package would've been perfect for this station.

Do they think the New York Population is blind or something? Haha. We're New Yorkers, we can see, if we walk more than any other person in the country then we certainly can see where we're going ;).

Anyway I think its outstanding. Well I guess thats it for the anticipation for WABC they've gotten New Graphics and now they've gotten a New Set, New Cameras. So now we just have to let them do their thing for the forseeable future. Now its WCBS and WNBC's turn ;)

Hi everyone

I'm brand new to the forums even though I've been lurking here for a long time and I'm a fan of this site. Watching Eyewitness News tonight propelled me to join the group because I wanted to put my 2 cents in with the new set. I really like it a lot. This is easily the most modern set I've ever seen for Eyewitness News. The colors were bright, it looked roomier than past sets I've seen and I really dig the streetside view. It makes us NYers even more connected to the news and I definately plan on making a trip to the Upper West Side to check this studio out for myself. The AccuWeather set is hot! It looks like a lab. lol The only complaint I have is the one that most of us here have and thats with the big 7 not being lit up. Some kind of light in the 7 would do a lot of wonders for how the desk looks on TV. Other than that, it's a homerun to me and I look forward to seeing how the set looks tomorrow and the rest of the week.

http://imgur.com/a/qNg8a#slZE6

They just had a fantastic jib shot.

That's the celing-mounted camera on a track you can see in some of the pictures people have posted.

The shaky cameras are probably a result of the relatively small (and therefore, lightweight) cameras they're using. Locally, when WITI switched their studio cameras from their huge SD "hard" cameras to Sony PMW-EX3's, they went through a few weeks where all their moving shots had a noticeable bobbing movement. They seem to have corrected the problem by eliminating most moving shots, though I believe it's an issue that can be fixed with proper balancing of the pedestal head.

The "soft" picture might be a camera issue. Those look a lot like the cameras WFLD is using on their new morning set, which had a similar soft picture when I was watching them a while back. Hopefully WABC can correct the issue...

I'm only 17 so this is the first time I've seen WABC debut a new set.. I have seen many of their past sets and I have a question.. Do you think the huge circle 7 on the desk is a "retro" type thing on a modern set? Cause I saw one of the sets.. I believe it was brown.. Had a huge circle 7 logo in back of the anchors.. Any chance I'm right or what do you guys think?

I'm only 17 so this is the first time I've seen WABC debut a new set.. I have seen many of their past sets and I have a question.. Do you think the huge circle 7 on the desk is a "retro" type thing on a modern set? Cause I saw one of the sets.. I believe it was brown.. Had a huge circle 7 logo in back of the anchors.. Any chance I'm right or what do you guys think?

I don't think it's a retro thing so much as it's a branding idea that wasn't carried out in the best way.

3dbfc8150879642.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is a reason that the Circle 7 in the center to the left of "AccuWeather" does not have a ABC with it. In the mid to late 90's, prior to WABC rebranding to "ABC7", the the weather portion of the news set and the header of the weather graphics had that exact look --- a Circle 7 followed by AccuWeather. Whoever was involved with the designing of the set wanted to add that flashback in there. Anybody can confirm?

--------------

Also, any news about a music change and talent openings? Nothing has been done so far...

I actually really don't like the set.

I hate the desk. It's way too massive, and the 7 logo's size (it appears to be larger than the talent) is way overpowering. I also think that the video panels on the desk and in the background make it way too bright.

The weather center looks decent, but still not my favorite.

Overall, just too much red and blue for their own good.

Just my opinion - don't be mad.

I actually really don't like the set.

I hate the desk. It's way too massive, and the 7 logo's size (it appears to be larger than the talent) is way overpowering. I also think that the video panels on the desk and in the background make it way too bright.

The weather center looks decent, but still not my favorite.

Overall, just too much red and blue for their own good.

Just my opinion - don't be mad.

I hate you! I hate you! I HATE YOU!!!

:punch:

j/k :D

I would give it a 6/10.

It's an improvement, don't get me wrong, but there's something "off" about it. The way the main desk area is set up is weird; the anchors aren't centered in front of the video wall, and the desk is slanted. The whole wall behind the anchors is also asymmetrical, as if it's incomplete.

The weather and interview sets look good, it's a shame that the main set area doesn't match the rest of it.

I wonder if the set was initially "complete" and during the weeks of tweaking they shifted it about?

I wondered also why they have the anchors off center. You're right, the main set and the rest of the areas don't really match up. And I still can't get over the huge ABC7 logo. Overall, though, I think it's a huge improvement, I love the background, and I think all the new camera shots are really awesome.

I'm sure it will be adjusted but for me the Weather Center lighting is still to dark.

The logos on the top of the walls need their own lighting like the abc7 on the front of the desk does.

One other observation, the area behind the desk on the right appears to be a background as opposed to a video screen.

Here's images from DMA, http://imgur.com/a/qNg8a#baa7r

I wonder why they did not make a video screen?

I'm sure it will be adjusted but for me the Weather Center lighting is still to dark.

The logos on the top of the walls need their own lighting like the abc7 on the front of the desk does.

One other observation, the area behind the desk on the right appears to be a background as opposed to a video screen.

Here's images from DMA, http://imgur.com/a/qNg8a#baa7r

I wonder why they did not make a video screen?

That is a video screen or at least a changing backdrop. When I first saw the set that area had an Eyewitness News logo.

The only reason I could think of the anchors being off center is for when they have the weather person on set with them.. If they want to have the weather person sit so the screen to the side of the main screen is behind them when they do a single shot and the anchors are directly in the middle they might look to far apart when they do the "3 shot".. idk how much sense that makes.

The stand-up area to the right of the green screen...you see it? Okay...the black portions on the top and bottom appear to have a marble-like finish. Does that go for the giant abc on the desk, because it seems to have some sort of texture to it?

Archived