KNSD Expanding News

Bsean

KNSD has announced that starting Sept 12, there will be a noon newscast anchored by Catherine Garcia solo with Whitney Southwick on weather. Lots of stations expanding which is a good thing. Who else is expanding this fall?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice to finally have news at noon again. With KFMB cutting back its 11am newscast down to half an hour, its nice to hear that a station is adding instead of getting rid of newscasts. Now if KNSD would go back to doing weekend morning newscasts then we'd have a good option over XETV's horrible newscasts.

It's nice to finally have news at noon again. With KFMB cutting back its 11am newscast down to half an hour, its nice to hear that a station is adding instead of getting rid of newscasts. Now if KNSD would go back to doing weekend morning newscasts then we'd have a good option over XETV's horrible newscasts.

and KUSI smh

KUSI's Morning Show seems to have had a calm take over it since Dan Plante was fired.

Yeah, Dan was a bit much. Anyways, I noticed that Greg Bledsoe has been doing weather in house for NBC 7 since Tuesday I believe, and I found it interesting that the anchors did not mention that he was in for Fritz. Wonder if this means good bye to the piped in weather from L.A.?

I dont mean to turn this into an SD News thread, but who is around and not around nowadays on the SD Airwaves during the past 6-7 months? I have been traveling around the country so i havent had time to keep tabs.

Yeah, Dan was a bit much. Anyways, I noticed that Greg Bledsoe has been doing weather in house for NBC 7 since Tuesday I believe, and I found it interesting that the anchors did not mention that he was in for Fritz. Wonder if this means good bye to the piped in weather from L.A.?

I noticed the same thing. The question is was Fritz on LA airwaves on those days? Fritz is still on KNSD's website. I want the LA weather to be done though because the graphics are so much better in HD.

I dont mean to turn this into an SD News thread, but who is around and not around nowadays on the SD Airwaves during the past 6-7 months? I have been traveling around the country so i havent had time to keep tabs.

KUSI

Dan Plante left KUSI a few months ago, replaced by David Davis. KUSI expanded their morning news an extra hour after Regis & Kelly moved to KFMB. Tom Jordan moved to the weekend mornings of GMSD, John Soderman is anchoring the weekend evenings.

KGTV

Robert Santos is doing weather and anchoring alongside Itica Milanes on the weekends. Morning traffic reporter Melanie Mendez is gone. Angele Ringo left a few months ago, she was moved to reporter several months before she left.

KNSD

3 or 4 new reporters have been hired at NBC 7. Alicia Dean who was the military reporter left for a gig in Texas. The weather situation is interesting in the sense that Greg Bledsoe has been doing weather in house for the better part of last week, no mention that Fritz was out. On Saturday's newscast Carl Bell was doing weather, so I don't know what gives.

That's all I can think of right now.

I noticed the same thing. The question is was Fritz on LA airwaves on those days? Fritz is still on KNSD's website. I want the LA weather to be done though because the graphics are so much better in HD.

i dont understand how the master control in Burbank cant link an HD Feed between KNBC and KNSD. They have HD Feeds for New York and when they do live reports thru the Washington DC Bureau.

I do agree, the Weather Reports in-house in the morning in HD is awesome and crisp, but in the evenings from KNBC is horrible. its like a blurry skype/video phone quality. smh

i dont understand how the master control in Burbank cant link an HD Feed between KNBC and KNSD. They have HD Feeds for New York and when they do live reports thru the Washington DC Bureau.

I do agree, the Weather Reports in-house in the morning in HD is awesome and crisp, but in the evenings from KNBC is horrible. its like a blurry skype/video phone quality. smh

Buying satellite time for a three minute weather hit really isn't worth it. They're probably sending it over the 'net in a crappy resolution with crappy compression to save minutes of downloading/uploading.

NBC NewsChannel has HD Uplinks in New York and DC, so literally any station can go HD from these areas.

I'm not sure how KNBC puts their weather signal up for KNSD, but obviously, SD windows are cheaper and more available, or as Weeters said, it may be FTP'd if it isn't done live.

I'm not sure how KNBC puts their weather signal up for KNSD, but obviously, SD windows are cheaper and more available, or as Weeters said, it may be FTP'd if it isn't done live.

The nightside weather hits from KNBC are done live on KNSD, with the exception of those during the 7:00pm show on California Nonstop. I'd have to think that they're being fed via the usual dedicated fiber between KNSD and the master control hub in Burbank. Just seems odd that they can feed syndicated programming to KNSD in HD, yet the weather hits are in the crappiest form of 4:3 standard definition.

KUSI

Dan Plante left KUSI a few months ago, replaced by David Davis. KUSI expanded their morning news an extra hour after Regis & Kelly moved to KFMB. Tom Jordan moved to the weekend mornings of GMSD, John Soderman is anchoring the weekend evenings.

KGTV

Robert Santos is doing weather and anchoring alongside Itica Milanes on the weekends. Morning traffic reporter Melanie Mendez is gone. Angele Ringo left a few months ago, she was moved to reporter several months before she left.

KNSD

3 or 4 new reporters have been hired at NBC 7. Alicia Dean who was the military reporter left for a gig in Texas. The weather situation is interesting in the sense that Greg Bledsoe has been doing weather in house for the better part of last week, no mention that Fritz was out. On Saturday's newscast Carl Bell was doing weather, so I don't know what gives.

That's all I can think of right now.

To add, Natasha Stenbock has joined KGTV as a fill in meteorologist. Also, Byron Miranda left KGTV for KNBC. Pat Brown replaced him. Kaushel Patel joined KGTV to replace Carol Sullivan at morning co-anchor as well as fill the vacant 11a co-anchor position. At XETV, Sabrina Fein replaced Kimi Evans weekday evening meteorologist. Also, reporter Antonio Castelan is on his way to KNBC as a reporter. Heather Myers was moved from weeknight anchor to weekday mornings leaving Jim Patton to anchor solo. Lynda Martin is out, though she still fills in frequently.

The nightside weather hits from KNBC are done live on KNSD, with the exception of those during the 7:00pm show on California Nonstop. I'd have to think that they're being fed via the usual dedicated fiber between KNSD and the master control hub in Burbank. Just seems odd that they can feed syndicated programming to KNSD in HD, yet the weather hits are in the crappiest form of 4:3 standard definition.

Ah yeah, forgot the O&Os had the fiber links...it could come down to literally being "whatever is easiest" with the staff that is available, and the ability to acquire the feed in HD may take additional staff...which is a shame.

I think you guys might be overrating the O&O master control hubs. If the setup from Burbank is anything like the setup from 30 Rock, it's quite possible they don't have the capability to handle full HD feeds transmitted like that. I think there's still quite a bit of content at WCAU, at least, that is still transmitted in standard def.

As far as KNSD weather, I was browsing the NBCUniCareers.com site and they had an opening for a weather position over there. I think it's a good bet that Weather-From-LA is going away for them.

I think you guys might be overrating the O&O master control hubs. If the setup from Burbank is anything like the setup from 30 Rock, it's quite possible they don't have the capability to handle full HD feeds transmitted like that. I think there's still quite a bit of content at WCAU, at least, that is still transmitted in standard def.

Nah all their produced content is presented in HD. If it isn't, it usually because it was transmitted improperly (read: wrong AFD codes). Sadly though the master control hubs do for the most part use 2002 technology still. I've never been a fan of the setup. It takes decision making out of the station's hands, gives one guy the responsibility of keeping multiple stations on the air at once and of course there's the employment ramifications. Oh yeah nowadays the New York hub is automated which makes for some fun television when shit fucks up big time.

• 2 weeks later...

To add, Natasha Stenbock has joined KGTV as a fill in meteorologist. Also, Byron Miranda left KGTV for KNBC. Pat Brown replaced him. Kaushel Patel joined KGTV to replace Carol Sullivan at morning co-anchor as well as fill the vacant 11a co-anchor position. At XETV, Sabrina Fein replaced Kimi Evans weekday evening meteorologist. Also, reporter Antonio Castelan is on his way to KNBC as a reporter. Heather Myers was moved from weeknight anchor to weekday mornings leaving Jim Patton to anchor solo. Lynda Martin is out, though she still fills in frequently.

I'm not sure if I should just add-on to this thread or make a new one, but I'll reply here since there's already a list of casting changes. Natasha Stenbock has been serving as the weekday morning meteorologist on KGTV for a few days now, Kerstin Lindquist has left the station. Also, I found it interesting that Kimberly Hunt AND Steve Atkinson have been co-anchoring the 6PM newscast on KGTV for the last two days, no mention that they were both filing-in for Hal Clement -- which has been a single hosted newscast for the last couple years now. Robert Santos has been doing evening weather for a couple days now as well, but there's no mention that he's filling-in for Pat Brown. Please correct me if I'm wrong if they did say that they were substituting during some part of the newscast. I wonder if either disappearance is connected to the KGTV/McGraw-Hill Broadcasting buy-out.

I'm not sure if I should just add-on to this thread or make a new one, but I'll reply here since there's already a list of casting changes. Natasha Stenbock has been serving as the weekday morning meteorologist on KGTV for a few days now, Kerstin Lindquist has left the station. Also, I found it interesting that Kimberly Hunt AND Steve Atkinson have been co-anchoring the 6PM newscast on KGTV for the last two days, no mention that they were both filing-in for Hal Clement -- which has been a single hosted newscast for the last couple years now. Robert Santos has been doing evening weather for a couple days now as well, but there's no mention that he's filling-in for Pat Brown. Please correct me if I'm wrong if they did say that they were substituting during some part of the newscast. I wonder if either disappearance is connected to the KGTV/McGraw-Hill Broadcasting buy-out.

Robert Santos is the morning/midday weathercaster. When Kerstin left, she mentioned that Robert was taking her spot, but because they are short weather people he has not been able to do the morning shift too much as he still anchors on Saturdays as well. I have a feeling that they will be tight with the hiring until a new buyer is announced which should be at the end of the month. As for Hal, usually Kimberly fills in for him when he is out, its interesting that both her and Steve would anchor the 6pm news. It would not surprise me if he is let go, although he would be a better choice on the weekends alongside Itica. I will add this though, when Hal is off they usually don't mention that they are filling in for Hal.

Robert Santos is the morning/midday weathercaster. When Kerstin left, she mentioned that Robert was taking her spot, but because they are short weather people he has not been able to do the morning shift too much as he still anchors on Saturdays as well. I have a feeling that they will be tight with the hiring until a new buyer is announced which should be at the end of the month. As for Hal, usually Kimberly fills in for him when he is out, its interesting that both her and Steve would anchor the 6pm news. It would not surprise me if he is let go, although he would be a better choice on the weekends alongside Itica. I will add this though, when Hal is off they usually don't mention that they are filling in for Hal.

Hal's hanging it up at the end of the month....

http://poway.patch.com/articles/poways-hal-clement-announces-retirement-from-10news

Archived