Ginger Zee leaving NBC5 for "GMA Weekend"?

24994J

This one came out of left field:

According to this morning's Feder blog entry, NBC 5/WMAQ weekend meteorologist Ginger Zee will be leaving Chicago after her contract expires in October. Her anticipated destination? ABC News headquarters in New York. She is expected to become weather anchor on Good Morning America Weekend, effectively succeeding Marysol Castro who jumped ship late last year in order to land at the CBS Early Show in January.

http://timeoutchicag...eekend%E2%80%99

I will say that I'm quite surprised by this; she seems like a shoe-in to replace 60-something Brant Miller when he retires (sooner or later). However, with several Today show appearances under her belt, I guess it's a reasonable next step for her career. Either way, I wish her luck...no matter what happens.

BTW, she's only 30??? (I mean that in a good way.)

Doesn't surprise me at all.. She's wanted to move out to New York for a while now. She's goes out to NY alot to begin with. She's got quite alot of friends out there including a very good meteorologist friend (who was canned from WFLD but recently got a job at WABC) who may have had some input in Ginger Zee getting into the company too.. ;-)

I will say that I'm quite surprised by this; she seems like a shoe-in to replace 60-something Brant Miller when he retires (sooner or later).

No way would she have replaced Brant. WMAQ tried a female chief met before with no success. Plus, she doesn't have the authoritative demeanor needed when the time calls for it. She's like the 'Allison Rosati' of weather (too much happiness, not enough seriousness). GMA is a good fit for her.

WMAQ tried a female chief met before with no success.

What? Volkman, Taft, Coleman, Tilmon, Miller...please explain.

The only female chief met. on any of the five stations was Amy Freeze at WFLD (2007-2011).

What? Volkman, Taft, Coleman, Tilmon, Miller...please explain.

The only female chief met. on any of the five stations was Amy Freeze at WFLD (2007-2011).

Can't recall her name. Andy Avalos succeeded Jim Tilmon (WMAQ pretty much forced him to retire). Andy left, a woman took over briefly before Brant succeeded her.

There is a Cindy Preszler listed on Wikipedia that is listed as a meteorologist from '97 to '98...but I, for the life of me don't remember her. Besides, this Preszler lady was only in Chicago for a year or two, Ginger has/had 5 years to become acquainted with the viewers.

Yeah, but was she chief in Chicago?

Does it really matter? Most stations I've been to, the title "Chief Meteorologist" is nothing but a screen title. It's meaningless. Half the stations in this town don't even use the title. All the meteorologists at the station pretty much have the same "power" and decision making in their presentation. It's all just in the time/schedule they work. Most meteorologists at stations will use each others or share information. They'll put their information together if needed. The meteorologist with the "Chief Meteorologist" title won't overrule another meteorologist if their forecast prediction is slightly different from another meteorologist at the station. The "chief meteorologist" isn't a boss over the other meteorologists at a station (in this market, at least).. Each just works their scheduled shift then goes home.

Just because one is given the screen title of "Chief Meteorologist" doesn't mean that is the best or most accurate meteorologist at the station.. It's just a meteorologist the bosses chose to anchor the weather on the late evening newscasts because he/she is who management thinks will work the best with the viewers of those particular newscasts. One "Chief" in town (at a station that doesn't even use the title) wasn't technically a meteorologist until just a few years ago. Another "Chief" in town is a bigger asshole than viewers could even imagine who demands his coffee a particular way.. So really, who cares if she was "Chief" or not..

Tammie Souza would likely have been next in line for Brant Miller's spot when he decides to retire. Tammie was very professional and had a completely different demeanor before she jumped over to FOX.. As soon as she landed at Good Day Chicago a few years back, she completely let loose and changed.. She ran to Florida for a while, came back, and changed even more from the last time she was in Chicago..

• 4 weeks later...

WMAQ Channel 5 is adding not one but two new weather forecasters to take Ginger Zee's place when she leaves the station. Cheryl Scott of NBC's Knoxville affiliate, WBIR-TV, joins channel 5 next week as its new weekend meteorologist. Alicia Roman, of CBS' WISH-TV in Indianapolis, joins the station at the end of September as the new noon meteorologist.

Archived