Out & About

TexasTVNews

FCC Complaints against 11 stations were filed over lack of proper documentation of outside sources of money for political ads. The two groups behind the complaint say the stations failed to list specific individuals involved in the groups as required by law, instead merely listing the political groups name. Others include failure to list candidate and issue the ad is about. This information is kept in the public file of the stations.

They are:

WDIV Detroit (Post-Newsweek)

KNXV Phoenix (Scripps)

WTVJ Miami (NBC)

WMUR Boston (Hearst)

WFLA Tampa (Media General)

WTVT Tampa (Fox)

WWJ Detroit (CBS)

KMGH Denver (Scripps)

WCNC Charlotte, N.C. (Gannett)

KMSP Minneapolis (Fox)

WTVD Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (ABC).

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/75985/11-stations-hit-with-political-ad-complaints

Cynthia Lee is the next person leaving a San Antonio station. For the second time. Cynthia was originally there until 2009, then left to pursue other opportunities. She returned in 2012 as a weekend anchor then was bumped up in 2013 when Karen Martinez passed away from breast cancer.

Here's the article

It's unfortunate she's leaving, definitely one of the best at KABB. She may have been getting tired of having to revoice all of those Waste Watch reports...

Any which case, they are now going to have to find someone else but it looks likely that Grace White will get bumped up.

Now, Blaise Labbe has two female lead anchors to look for. OR, this may have conveniently happened just as they are about to move in later this year. The Sinclair duopoly here is losing people and fast though. Something has to be done and they probably want to have their new people in place by the November book.

Could we be seeing some more people bolting KCTV for WOAI/KABB? Keep your eye there.

It seems as if about half of the 10 highest newscast outputs in the country (and probably, North America) belong to Tribune-owned stations: WJW, WXIN and WDAF are among them. I think KTLA or WGN also fall in there somewhere. If anyone knows which stations have the 10 highest local news outputs are, please post here or create another thread.

CHCH-TV in Hamilton, ON has 64 hours of news a week, but it has the most local news output of any station I know of per weekday... from 4am to 5pm, and hourlong newscasts at 6pm and 11pm.

Add in their local discussion shows at the 5pm hour, and that is 16 HOURS of local output per weekday!

Could all news during weekdays become the norm as syndicated and talk programming loses its appeal?

KSNV in Las Vegas is giving the all-news concept a shot. Heck, I could even see WJW attempting that if Tribune will let them.

I didn't see it anywhere so I post this: KSAT, KENS anchors in love; expecting baby:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2014/04/ksat-kens-anchors-in-love-expecting-baby/

sanewsguy, being from SA, congrats to your spurs and happy cinco by the way, care to oblige about this or observations about these two in general?

Deborah Collura has been named the general manager of Gannett's WCNC Charlotte. Collura was previously vice president of news at KPRC Houston.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/deborah-collura-named-gm-of-wcnc_b120361

Maybe now they can actually get HD. Though I guess Gannett has the final say when that happens.

I didn't see it anywhere so I post this: KSAT, KENS anchors in love; expecting baby:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2014/04/ksat-kens-anchors-in-love-expecting-baby/

sanewsguy, being from SA, congrats to your spurs and happy cinco by the way, care to oblige about this or observations about these two in general?

I didn't know Isis and Phil Anaya were dating, nor do I really care. Wish they would've gotten married then had kids but it's their relationship I suppose. Isis is not that great of anchor anyways. And you gotta love the Express-News comments of people gawking at Isis.... :rolleyes:

I'm not too big into Cinco de Mayo but as for the Spurs, glad they beat the Mavs and even though everyone I talked to says they should have won the series much earlier, I think it's great it took them seven games because it keeps them focused. They don't get too much rest compared to if they had sweeped them.

News regarding two Fox affiliates:

* Another Fox affiliate accidentally plays a commercial over a segment dealing with the topic of evolution in the network's Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey. WVUE in New Orleans covered one minute and 24 seconds of such a segment dealing with the correlation between climate change and the evolution of primates into humans featured in Sunday night (May 4)'s episode of Cosmos, with a news promo, a PSA on seatbelt safety and other commercials. The station has apologized for the blunder, and has rescheduled the episode in question to air this coming Thursday (May 8) at 10:35, after WVUE's 10 p.m. newscast. Oklahoma City's KOKH had this same error occur during the premiere broadcast of Cosmos back in March; only in that case, an excerpt that referenced evolution was covered just by a promo for that night's 9 p.m. newscast, which the station apologized for.

* WDRB in Louisville will be expanding news in the early evenings this fall. On September 14, the station will debut a half-hour 6 p.m. newscast, which will bear the WDRB Local Evening News title currently used on the station's existing 6:30 p.m. newscast and the 7 p.m. newscast it produces for CW-affiliated sister station WBKI. This is a bit of a change for WDRB, whose current evening newscasts (airing from 4-5, 6:30-7 and 10-11 p.m.) on the station itself do not compete with local newscasts on rivals WAVE, WLKY-TV and WHAS-TV (the only times in which it does compete with those stations is in the morning, its weekday and weekend morning newscasts compete with those aired on those three stations, and its 11:30 a.m. newscast competes with the hour-long midday newscast on WAVE). No anchors have been announced for the program as of yet.

WWL 5 and 10 pm anchor Dennis Woltering announced he's stepping away from the anchor desk at the end of this month, though not retiring. He says he wants to explore other media work, including documentaries and long form work. He's been anchor since 1994, but started at the station in 1977 and had a stint at WCAU from 1984-94.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Dennis-Woltering-to-retire-from-WWL-TV-anchor-desk-258338871.html

News regarding two Fox affiliates:

* Another Fox affiliate accidentally plays a commercial over a segment dealing with the topic of evolution in the network's Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey. WVUE in New Orleans covered one minute and 24 seconds of such a segment dealing with the correlation between climate change and the evolution of primates into humans featured in Sunday night (May 4)'s episode of Cosmos, with a news promo, a PSA on seatbelt safety and other commercials. The station has apologized for the blunder, and has rescheduled the episode in question to air this coming Thursday (May 8) at 10:35, after WVUE's 10 p.m. newscast. Oklahoma City's KOKH had this same error occur during the premiere broadcast of Cosmos back in March; only in that case, an excerpt that referenced evolution was covered just by a promo for that night's 9 p.m. newscast, which the station apologized for.

They weren't alone: WLUK had a similar error the same night. Not sure if it was the same part of the program that got affected.

Kerry Barrett who was most recently evening anchor at FOX owned WXTF is moving to Good Day Philadelphia when she returns from maternity leave later this summer:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kerry-barrett-to-join-good-day-philadelphia_b120655

She will co-anchor alongside Chris Murphy from 4:00 am - 7:00 am, and report from 7:00 am - 10:00 am.

Chase Thomason has announced that he is leaving KFOR-TV in Oklahoma City to join CBS affiliate KUTV in Salt Lake City (where he grew up), where he will start in early June. Thomason currently serves as KFOR's weekend morning meteorologist and also serves as a fill-in on the weekday morning newscasts on KFOR and sister station KAUT-TV. He joined the station in August 2012 from Lubbock Fox affiliate KJTV and is married to KFOR web editor and on-air contributor Ashton Edwards (daughter of the station's late longtime investigative reporter Brad Edwards).

I have a hunch that long time weatherman Albert Flores will take the helm as Chief Meteorologist at WOAI, if I'm right.

@TexasTVNews had it right on the money. Albert Flores has been promoted to chief meteorologist at San Antonio's WOAI. He will shift his duties from the weekday morning newscast to the 5, 6, 6:30 and 10 p.m. newscasts starting May 27.

@TexasTVNews had it right on the money. Albert Flores has been promoted to chief meteorologist at San Antonio's WOAI. He will shift his duties from the weekday morning newscast to the 5, 6, 6:30 and 10 p.m. newscasts starting May 27.

I figured he was going to take over. Considering he had been chief at KENS over 20 years, it was only natural to promote him. I like him, he's a great meteorologist. Unfortunately, he had an incident in 2001 where he plagiarized material for his Express-News column which cost him his job at KENS. Fortunately WOAI has given him a second chance but a select few viewers have not. Any time there's an article on My SA about him most of the commenters will bring up his plagiarism incident from 2001 and say he's not qualified to be chief and shame on WOAI for promoting him.

Sorry but he deserves a second chance and all he did was plagiarize. Give him a pass. He's gotten over it a long time ago. If he was a journalist then yes, I would think about it differently. But he's not, he's a meteorologist, so the standards are a little different. No, I'm defending him plagiarizing but the incident happened nearly 15 years ago. Just forget about it.....

Other briefs coming out of San Antonio (I can't remember so much media news coming out of this market before):

• the original poster didn't mention this, but Mike Hernandez from KABB will be filling in on the morning shift until they hire someone else. Will be curious to see who they hire. Lately, Blaise Labbe has been bringing in a lot of outsiders in to the Sinclair shop here, as you'll see in a moment. Also, I hope Hernandez won't be working seven day weeks since he is currently KABB's weekend meteorologist and does Daytime at Nine during the week. He generally gets two days off during the week. KABB has Robert Luna as a weekend fill-in but I don't see him getting a full-time position because he is a high school teacher during the week. Honestly, I just see Siobhain Anders adding KABB's 9PM news to her plate since it's much cheaper than hiring someone else just to do one thirty-minute newscast two days a week. KABB and WOAI have a direct fiber link that was installed not long after Sinclair took over, so Anders could do the 9PM weather live from WOAI for KABB. Once they move in, that will be a moot point.
  • According to the Express-News, Blaise Labbe is this/close to announcing a replacement for Elsa Ramon. Some believe that Delaine Mathieu will permanently add the 6 and 10 to her schedule, while others think they will hire an outsider.
  • Time Warner Cable News San Antonio has announced it will launch June 2. Currently on cable channel 14, which is where TWC News will be, is a loop of Capital Tonight and Sports Night both from TWC News Austin. Michael Pearson, who is the news director for TWC News Austin, will also work in the same capacity for TWC News San Antonio. Newscasts will be anchored out of Austin but will have local reporters. Eventually the San Antonio channel will produce its own content.
    My take away: Time Warner seems like they don't have a lot of confidence in the channel if they are outsourcing production to Austin, which is a smaller DMA. They don't even have their own ND. The guy from Austin is going to run the channel. Who's supposed to make daily coverage decisions, especially if one guy has to run two newsrooms? Having said that, I hope this channel succeeds, even if Comcast's proposed merger goes through. It will give San Antonio a fourth English news operation again, since WOAI/KABB are basically one newsroom now (still using two separate buildings AFAIK). Will be interested to see who ends up on the channel. However, I won't be watching it, since I do not have Time Warner Cable and have no plans to switch back to that wreck of a company.
  • Source: http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/Time-Warner-S-A-news-network-debuting-June-2-5383548.php

[*]KSAT has begun running promos for Adam Caskey. I didn't pay attention to it so I don't know how it goes. I just know at the end, there's video of him along the S.A. river smiling with his name, he will be debuting in June and the KSAT logo on the screen. I'll see if I can catch it.

[*]Speaking of KSAT, they have released some details for their new lifestyle show they'll be launching this fall. From TVSpy:

[*]

Six months after leaving KDFW, Fiona Gorostiza is joining San Antonio ABC affiliate KSAT as the host of a new local lifestyle show, the San Antonio Express-News reports [note: I never found the article on their site and TVSpy linked to something else, not the article]

“It feels so good to be able to return to Texas, and to fulfill my dream of hosting a new program for such a powerful station,” ” Gorostiza said. The Express-News has details on the show, which will debut this fall:

… Two things instantly set KSAT’s “SA Live” apart: It will air in the afternoon, and it will come live from a downtown location — The Buckhorn saloon and museum on Houston Street — rather than a studio.

“The vibrancy at The Buckhorn really lends itself to the type of program we want to produce,” KSAT general manager Phil Lane said.

“SA Live,” described as a variety, game, interview and entertainment show rolled into one, will air at 1 p.m. Katie Couric‘s syndicated “Katie” will be dropped from KSAT’s 2 p.m. hour so ABC’s “General Hospital,” which currently airs at 1 p.m., can slide into that slot.

I'm sure many viewers are relieved to know Michael and Kelly at 9AM won't be going anywhere. KSAT does the best in that timeslot because of them. Although I don't know why they didn't put it at ten and tape delay "The View". Or, better yet, at 11 so I'm not subject to day-old episodes of "The Chew" where "Extra Value Fridays" airs on a Monday... But it doesn't sound like a typical show. I might actually watch this when it starts. I'd like to know if Fiona will be soloing or if she'll have a co-host. I guess we'll have to stay tuned to this one. Also, I don't think they have the studio space to do it from their main building, even if they wanted too. I'm still wondering if the studio from their old building was left intact because nothing has changed there. However they did get a new CG because the L3's animate in/out sometimes.

[*]

KABB has announced a replacement for Cynthia Lee. And it's not someone internal like I had thought. Guess Blaise wants to make his mark. This is straight from the Express-News:

[*]

SAN ANTONIO — Change seems to be the lead story at San Antonio TV sister stations WOAI and KABB these days — with the latest headline involving the Fox affiliate’s chief anchor replacement for the departing Cynthia Lee.

Elisa-Amigo-399x600.jpg

She’s Elisa Amigo, an anchor/reporter out of Cleveland. An Emmy winner for Best Weekend News, Amigo also was honored as one of Northeast Ohio’s top “40 under 40” Hispanic leaders.

The lovely new hire with the striking eyes will team up with the station’s 9 p.m. news anchor staple, Michael Valdes, starting May 19.

Lee is leaving the TV news game to spend more time with family as well as pursue a career as a full-time broker for Transwestern real estate brokerage.

In her seven years at Fox affiliate WJW-TV, Amigo has covered a wide array of stories including the emotional return home of the three Cleveland women held hostage for more than a decade and the mass shootings at Chardon High School

“As a journalist, she’s a real pro,” Dean Radla, KABB general manager said, “but most importantly, I feel our viewers will find her very personable and genuine, as well as a great on-air partner for Michael Valdes.”

Elisa grew up in Marietta, Ohio, and attended the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University. She graduated cum laude and majored in broadcast journalism with a double-minor in Spanish and political science.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic