New wabc graphics start today

nynewsguy

Its interesting because WLS, (Chicago's ABC Owned and Operated Station) was TOTALLY OPEN about their similar state street studio when they launched in April 2006. If I remember correctly they posted pictures they posted updates on Facebook it was pretty much the talk of the town, yet WABC is so silent about their set change, I don't get why they keep it under wraps, if anything it'd be in their best interest to let the public to know what is going on, so they can get insight on what the public wants. They are servicing the public and the city with their newscast so why not be open and cater to the needs of the people, but then again in an extremely diverse city of 8 Million People, only a minute percentage of these people really care, haha.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone got in serious trouble for releasing pics on this site. The folks at ABC in New York are very over-protective when it comes to releasing unauthorized photos (pre-launch) for the world to see. They don't care if employees talk about the new set, but don't divulge too much information.

I don't know about the ABC O&O's else where, but at ABC/WABC, employees can't post unauthorized photos (pre-launch) without permission from management.

@Net - someone was actually stupid enough to post pics here, knowing how the bosses are about stuff around our shop? Damn... I wouldn't even take a picture, let alone post one on the internet.

The windows are mostly obscured by some posters, but from what I did see, it looked really good. I saw something that looked like a desk with big bright Eyewitness News lettering, and either a duratran or RP screen with a large circle 7.

I guess we'll have to wait until September to see the rest.

Yeah well when it's released it's released then I'm sure it will be a nice set, so the launch is in September? I couldve sworn that one of you guys said the set was delayed until sometime around November 2011 - January 2012.

Walked by this morning and the Eyewitness News shades were up for full viewing pleasure of the new studio. Alot of glare from the outside and dark on the inside made it difficult to see much. But you'd be hard pressed to miss the larger than life ABC7 logo on the front of the desk. The anchor desk itself looked much smaller than the current one from what I could tell. I had hoped to take pics, but when I retuned about 40 minutes later the shades were back down.

When was the last time they did not use the following in their intro's? They have been using them since at least the early to-mid 90's...

"This is the Tri-State area's news leader..."

"This is the news leader..."

I'm noticing today the camera getting closeups of the anchor on the left side of the studio is more color saturated and yellow then the other cameras.

Did someone change sittings for the camera?

639a24145541394.jpg

I noticed that today too.. Not sure what happened but Ken Rosato looked tanner than ever.. It was kind of weird.. lol

That would be a nice refresh, but too bad they are using the Stimulus package. Not that there is anything wrong with that the Stimulus is an excellent news package as well.

Ok, so speaking of the music - during the rehearsals, I've actually seen the new cuts being used for the titles/bumps, etc.. There is a consensus that the current EWN Series 4 that we're using now actually works better. I think it's the way that the signature was worked into the Stimulus stuff. It just seems a little weird.

Anyway, there's a distinct possibility that the current music will stay - I personally have nothing to do with the decision, but from those that do, it seems that's the way it's leaning now. 2 weeks to decide.

Ok, so speaking of the music - during the rehearsals, I've actually seen the new cuts being used for the titles/bumps, etc.. There is a consensus that the current EWN Series 4 that we're using now actually works better. I think it's the way that the signature was worked into the Stimulus stuff. It just seems a little weird.

Anyway, there's a distinct possibility that the current music will stay - I personally have nothing to do with the decision, but from those that do, it seems that's the way it's leaning now. 2 weeks to decide.

The current music actually doesn't work well at all with the new opens. They're still using their own customized even-shorter version of the short EWN open music and the graphic animations don't match up with the music at all. If you look and listen closely, the main theme, before the headlines vamp starts, ends well before the EWN animation flys out to show headlines video.

The current music actually doesn't work well at all with the new opens. They're still using their own customized even-shorter version of the short EWN open music and the graphic animations don't match up with the music at all. If you look and listen closely, the main theme, before the headlines vamp starts, ends well before the EWN animation flys out to show headlines video.

I don't see what's wrong with this? The main theme ends with the announcer saying "Eyewitness News". That musical signature is Eyewitness News (referencing the brand, not the package name) and being able to put the voiceover on top of the signature works great in my opinion. The outtro is perfectly timed, too.

I don't see what's wrong with this? The main theme ends with the announcer saying "Eyewitness News". That musical signature is Eyewitness News (referencing the brand, not the package name) and being able to put the voiceover on top of the signature works great in my opinion. The outtro is perfectly timed, too.

Agreed. I don't know why everyone's so anxious for them to change the music, personally. I think the Series 4 cuts fit the station so well, there's really no reason to change it. The sound is just so perfect... the urgent ticker, the soaring signature. I honestly don't know how you'd improve on that (short of returning to the Tar Sequence melody - and even then, we're almost 20 years from when they had to switch), and Gari's latest stabs at their ABC packages (EWN and Stimulus) don't exactly give me confidence.

More importantly, Series 4 doesn't sound dated. At all. That's kind of remarkable for news themes, to be honest - very few news themes, much less Gari themes, sound this good ten years or more after they came out. Even MCTYW needed substantial remastering and remixing to sound current. I do agree they could stand to use more cuts from the package.

New doesn't always mean better. I think WABC is just fine with Series 4.

During an Irene-related special report, Sade was in the newsroom set, with the RP screen showing what appears to be a view of Columbus Avenue from the new studio:

MMpfNl.jpg

Yeah come to think of it, I have no problem with the news package, it would be nice though if they used different themes or cuts from that package though because it just seems a bit redundant, basically, if they can try to do something to the music make it feel a little different, but not too different, you know what I mean?

Archived