New wabc graphics start today

nynewsguy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lower 3rds are still too large. Also, oddly, they aren't Helvetica, either. I know the typeface, but the name escapes me.

It's Univers.

The open is fine, but those lower thirds are really strange. What's with the white gradient sticking out on the side and all those extraneous animations? They should just go back to their pre-2008 graphics. Those were so bad, they were classic.

don't like the new graphics. seems like the same old look with more animation. I wish we an go back to the late 80s and early 90s. I think loal news was more enjoyable back then. Why does every station have to use gradients and san-serif(block) fonts. I would love to see a NY station use a serif font. That would look really good.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

Did I miss something, or did you say Stimulus? (!) Is this new or has this been the plan all along and I've been under a rock? Could we be talking about something similar to the

?

Sorry for all the random questions, but I'm intrigued and excited, for sure. I'm just surprised that the new music may not be another EWN reboot.

Yes - it is that Stimulus package. WABC has been using the package for their talent promos and station IDs for a while now... The package will be rolled into the newscast... this has been planned for a while now.

Someone mentioned that the reason the station doesn't change everything all on one day is to not distract the viewers. That's pretty much spot-on. A gradual transition to something new is always a good thing - with the new studio coming, the entire look is going to change, so it serves us well to not dump everything new all at once.

And as for the new graphics, as with anything, they will be modified as seen fit... Little tweaks here and there.

It is a GO package.

Here's the BIG question about the latest of the new street level studio over at WABC. They're now three quarters done and expecting a September launch of the new look. They're "three" sets in one huge studio. Main news desk, interview area, weather center. From this insider's opinion, the new set up looks fantastic!!! Take my word, you'll love it!

Again, they're almost done and should launch in a month from now!

I wanted to know about updates on the set; do you you have pictures or anything of it?

A thing I don't get is why the L3s for names and places go all the way to the end of the frame on the right side but when the L3s is giving information it's centered on screen.

It would look better if all the L3's were centered.

Those moving highlights on the top or bottom graphics is annoying

It's not needed on the live bug.

For those interested in the 11pm open, credit goes to NYNewsWATCH for this capture here:

My take: I like the background, as from an artist's perspective it looks well framed and seems to be overall a great composition. As for the graphics, they're the same paired down, yet crisp new take on the previous package.

UPDATE: NYNewsWATCH also has a new "Eyewitness News Brief" open, uploaded from one of this morning's GMA cut ins. Seems more action-y than the main opens, using those glasss-like circle elements that appear in the other opens more prolificly.

They REALLY need to fix the lighting on the 4pm anchor monitor shot...

I agree with you on that one, Alaskanews...everytime I see videos of the 4pm newscast, it looks so...dull. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the interview set is stage left of the anchors, and I guess one switch turns on all of them.

Again, they're three separate sets (main news desk in the front, interview area in the center, weather center in the back) in one large studio space. There's security that forbids people to take pictures before launch, so you're not going to see any pictures. One clue is the news desk has a BIG ABC7 in the middle. Looks very nice lit up....

Would you be able to hazard a guess as to who the designer may be? If so, I would be much more able to imagine what it looks like.

Anyone else notice that these are really similar to World News Now's graphics (especially the lower third, it practically has the same exact "shine" on it)? Was just flipping through channels and noticed it...

Wonder if that was on purpose.

I've got to agree with Weeters...this is an extremely 'small market' package. First WABC used a 're-purposed' look from Raleigh...now one from Florida. If you are the top station, in the top market...you should look like it.

Sorry, missed opportunity.

Again, they're three separate sets (main news desk in the front, interview area in the center, weather center in the back) in one large studio space. There's security that forbids people to take pictures before launch, so you're not going to see any pictures. One clue is the news desk has a BIG ABC7 in the middle. Looks very nice lit up....

Thanks for the info. I can picture what it looks like; especially with the BIG ABC7 logo on the main newsdesk.

Oh I really don't know the designer of the new news set. I work at another building at ABC. Maybe nynewsguy would know since he's works at WABC. If I had to make an educated guess, it could be from Devlin Design Group.

DDG....now that sounds pretty cool, considering their most recent designs, like WSYR, WHAM, and more recently, what we've seen so far of WZTV in Nashville.

Archived