"The Future of TV"

Viper550

http://thefutureoftv.org/

So yeah, I saw an ad for this thing that the National Association of Broadcasters seems to be pushing, mainly complaining that Congress wants to auction off spectrum (along with a site that pushes what new things they could have had, but have to develop, because they didn't go with DVB-T instead of ATSC) as part of this debt thing.

Any opinions on this?

Well the NAB claims that the spectrum auction, which is supposedly being proposed by the FCC to try to slash the federal deficit, could result in most television stations having to move their digital signals (what would be called "repacking") to new channels. But this would primarily affect stations whose digital signals are broadcast on channels 31 to 51, and the claim is that it could cause several stations to experience signal interference with other stations. The National Association of Broadcasters claims that this would result in some 40% of stations having to move their channel positions or cease operations entirely. They also claim that because of treaty obligations with Canada, Detroit would become the only major city in the country with no television stations because in order not to violate these obligations, all the stations in the market would have to stop broadcasting altogether.

Frankly, this seems like a bunch of bull; and even the FCC and wireless and broadband companies think their estimates are grossly unrealistic. Besides, if Detroit did lose all its stations, say if a serious situation happened like say a damaging tornado was on the ground about to hit Livonia, they'd all be in trouble, because I doubt if the stations out of Windsor, Ontario would broadcast coverage of Detroit weather. I honestly don't think residents of Detroit have anything to worry about, and I think that the NAB should have done some actual research before putting out this study, because the point about stations having to go off the air just screams scare tactic.

Archived