Ten years of TVNT!

A little late, but ten years ago last Sunday, TVNT first signed onto the internet as "The Local News Discussion", and we set off on a journey through time. Through the past ten years, TVNT has survived database crashes, file corruption, downtime, crazy people, and the WABC fire, continuing to grow and build on being one of, if not the, number one broadcast news discussion website.

Now, in 2011, TVNT continues our mission of providing free and open discussion of all things television while bringing industry members and fans alike the relevant top stories of the day, completely independently and without outside influence from advertisers or sponsors.

So far this year, We've moved to a new host and to new, modern forum software that will allow TVNT to grow and provide more than just news and discussion, but make it a valuable resource that contains useful information that we're going to talk about in obscure details until it's ready!

Of course, we couldn't have done it without you, the members. And here's the part where you come in. We want to know what you want to see on TVNewsTalk in the future. And what you don't want to see. And while you're at it, share with us your favorite TVNT memory. You guys are the reason we've been here for so long, and we want to know what you think we should do moving forwards.

So thank you, members and visitors of TVNT, for ten great years! Hopefully we'll still be here in 10 more, discussing what stations are switching to 4D3D3D3, who's adopting automated talent, what stations are installing holographic sets, and, of course, asking that age old question: Will Linda Church ever move to weekends?

As a university student majoring in television production, I have found this site very useful in knowing the latest trends in the TV business as well as discussing topics with others that share the same interests. I hope that I can continue to do so for the next 10 years and beyond.

I think I started bumming around this place in 2004, but I honestly can't remember... Oh the crazy people who have come through this place... and do I mean crazy...

It's all in the jips...

I think I first posted when the group was on MSN Groups (or some group similar to this). I don't post as much as I used to (working on my own career in journalism in online/print/broadcast). I still find myself coming back.

Here's to the past 10 years, and here's to many more.

I first discovered this site back in 2003. But when I first became a TVNT member three years later, I thought to myself that instead of just reading the topics, why not become a part of them. And I'm glad I did.

Happy 10th Anniversary TVNewsTalk, and here's to another 10.

Happy Anniversary TVNewsTalk! From the founder of the old "Exclusive Eyewitness" television news website, which eventually merged or morphed or got taken over by Local News Discussion. .. (it was so long ago, I have no recollection of how one ended and the other began!). In any case, it's great to see how long this has all lasted and how much it has grown. Congrats to the TVNewsTalk moderators and here's to another 10 successful years!

I have heard about this site when I was in high school back in 2003, and I wondered 'Is this the discussion site that I should join or would join?' Few years later, I'm now part of this one-of-a-kind site that's all about the news stations, from graphics to news music to TV prersonalites, and everything in between. my most favorite part of the site is the Graphics Department where users post screencaps of graphics of TV stations or create hand-made graphics from scratch. Here's to a decade of TVNewsTalk, the most-trusted news discussion site in America, and here's to the next decade and beyond.

Well now I feel old. I still remember the old Friday night chats shortly after the site launched on the MSN groups. Amazing how much has changed over the decade!

omg yes i rememeber that!

Yeah I must say that things have changed significantly around here since things have pretty much started. Its defintely taken a turn for the better and the people here are much more friendlier and etc. But despite all of the ups and downs we've had this has truly been an amazing 10 years. I think I started coming to the site in 2001 and 2002 and primarilly visited the New York Forum, and it will always be the forum of my preference. I occasionally visit the Los Angeles and the Philadelphia forums but hardly ever visit the others.

I actually discovered this forum through another forum that I used to go on when I used to play SimCity 4. The site was called "Simtropolis" and I think Nathan (ntropolis) had an account with that site and he and I both had an interest in the news so he then shown me this site, I think it may have been Nathan or someone else but I forget. Simtropolis by the way (The SimCity fansite) is still active to to this day I still can't believe it, lol. But I remember the old "Local News Discussion" like it was yesterday. Especially some of the distinctive members like Dylan, jestbiteme, I'm not sure if these guys are still posting here or if they have different aliases, but I surely do remember them, they were the founders.

Then it got a bit crazy, lol. I remember one of the members had left the site or something like that in the earlier days, forgot who it was though. Some feud between the three, This was when the forum was using the phpBB software and actually became TVNEWSTALK for the first time (Sometime in 2003 or 2004 i believe). Haha yeah I remember a lot here, lol. We did have some crazy members in the mid 2000s especially the feud between The Great Forum and this forum, never gonna forget that, I guess if I remember correctly it was called "Daystar Creative" it was a huge battle with them.

Of course some of us can't forget Aeverine Nieves the girl that everyone here used to pick on. It was the beginning of an trend on YouTube where people including some of our members, (aspiring news anchors) would go up and post various news stories in their neighborhoods. And then a select few members on here would pick on them. I hate to say it but there were actually a lot of bullies here and as of late most of it has calmed down. We all know ColeK (Chris Fifington) i believe and his short temper that he had back in those days, lol. Who knows if he's still here now, lol. I'd say the people who took the brunt of the bullying was the WABC Fanboys. Eric (WCAUNBC10) and First On Fox and a few others would always nitpick, lol. Heck I'm a fanboy I'm not gonna lie, look at my avatar, lol. And boy did we get bashed a lot by some other quote on quote "crazy" people, lol. Nothing against you guys though, just reminiscing, lol.

But there were a lot of great moments, I used to like the debates the conservatives and the liberals had on here during the presidential campaign back in 2008. Of course we can never forget the huge arguments we've had. And of course who can forget the Graphic Forum where all of us would post our graphics, again harsh criticism and big arguments spawned from that section of the website, for the most part but still a nice trend we had.

It was actually this website that inspired me to delve into fictional news broadcasts SBN 2 set in the fictional world of The Sims 2. For those of you who remember I do plan on actually restarting it soon, only time will tell when I'll get the urge to restart it again, it takes heck of a lot of work, effort and time to do these broadcasts.

Anyway overall its been a nice run, you guys are great this is actually the only forum that I visit this much, lol. Probably the only forum in which I have this many posts in as well. Anyway haha, Yeah lets keep on going strong and cheers to another 10 years! So in 2021 we'll reminisce some more.. Man I wonder what life will be like by then... I'll be 32 too haha... I already feel a little old right now haha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Everybody! :)

Congratulations to TVNewsTalk.net for ten years on the Internet!

This is my debut post. I'm from Bergen County, New Jersey which is a major part of the New York City Metropolitan Area. I primarily follow media issues in NYC, New Jersey, and Philadelphia. Most of my activity here will probably be on those forums.

I have been a lurker for several months, and have now decided to join. I hope to have many positive exchanges with members here, to learn much, and to contribute positive and insightful analysis and discussion to the TVNT community.

Archived