KTTV/FOX 11 launching 5pm news

From Broadcasting & Cable

(http://www.broadcastingcable.com/blog/Station_to_Station/32469-KTTV_Launching_5_PM_News.php)

KTTV Launching 5 PM News

June 20, 2011

New news director Kingsley Smith is wasting no time in leaving his mark in Los Angeles.

Fox-owned KTTV will debut a 5 p.m. news September 12, a Fox spokesperson has confirmed.

Smith moved west from WTXF Philly and started at KTTV June 20. He succeeds Jose Rios, who was bumped up to vice president of digital news applications for the Fox Television Stations.

Wonder if the 10 p.m. "talent" will also anchor this show??????

Word on the street is that Indra Petersons (former KABC morning weekend weather anchor) will join KTTV. Will they shuffle Maria Quiban to evenings and put Indra in the mornings or have Indra on in the evenings. Time will tell.

I wonder what's happening to their set, the one with the Downtown LA backdrop. The anchors have been in the newsroom for several months now, and the only parts of the studio that you do see are the "Good Day LA" set and the former "My13 News" area. Could they doing an update to that back part? They've had that BDI-designed set behind the main anchor desk ever since 2001, and from what i can see on thier live news set cam, they still have many of thier elements from the 2001 set still there. I'd love to see them modernize things at least a little bit!

They're product at 10 p.m. is terrible. Hopefully that means they will start beefing up their news staff. Still no word if the 5p.m. is going to be a half-hour or hour.

It will be an hour newscast following the new Anderson Cooper talk show according to mediabistro.

I wonder what's happening to their set, the one with the Downtown LA backdrop. The anchors have been in the newsroom for several months now, and the only parts of the studio that you do see are the "Good Day LA" set and the former "My13 News" area. Could they doing an update to that back part? They've had that BDI-designed set behind the main anchor desk ever since 2001, and from what i can see on thier live news set cam, they still have many of thier elements from the 2001 set still there. I'd love to see them modernize things at least a little bit!

they still use the Downtown LA Backdrop (main desk) in the mornings, noon and sometimes during the 10pm newscast. 11pm is mostly in the newsroom.

i doubt they will ever get the Blyth Set. They have a Desk and a large projection screen on the side (former my13 news set) which is similar in size of the Blyth Screen

But they surely need a makeover or tweak!

Kingsley Smith is likely going to have something done to the set.. He seemed to be fond of the Blyth set in Philly. He's going to bring alot of his Philly "elements" out to LA. I don't know if they'll go all out Blyth but they might Blyth-ify the set like WFLD did to their old set before tearing it out and going full Blyth.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Studio 11 L.A. premiered tonight on FOX 11. Jeff Michael is the main anchor, Liz Habib and Ed Laskos are the feature reporters and Lisa Breckenridge does the entertainment. It is a fast-paced, no-nonsense type of "newscast". It will be on six days a week (seven when there is no afternoon football game). It's like "Good Day L.A." in the afternoon.

Studio 11 L.A. premiered tonight on FOX 11. Jeff Michael is the main anchor, Liz Habib and Ed Laskos are the feature reporters and Lisa Breckenridge does the entertainment. It is a fast-paced, no-nonsense type of "newscast". It will be on six days a week (seven when there is no afternoon football game). It's like "Good Day L.A." in the afternoon.

What was the newscast like? What did the set look like? Were the guys good? I GOTTA KNOW

Its awful. Its not a newscast, its not a lifestyle show. Dont know what it is but I cant imagine many are watching. KTTV's news product has gone so much downhill the past couple years. KTLA's has gone up. I now find myself watching KTLA much more than in the past.

Archived