Meet the "Digital Mic Flag"

Weeters

Just when you thought broadcasters couldn't find anywhere else to shove LCD screens, ABC Sports debuts the "Digital Mic Flag".

[yt]dkEbpNqLqSY[/yt]

The mic flag uses three mini OLED screens better known as "Video Name Tags" by their manufacturer, the Recom Group. According to the product's web site, the device features 2GB of onboard memory, making it possible to store two hours of video on the device, or hundreds of still images, and run for 6-10 hours before needing to be recharged. Multiple playlists can be configured, making them useful in a broadcast news environment where stations may produce newscasts for two different stations.

This all comes at a price though, just one of these mic flags will set you back $598. In addition, the device looks rather clunky in it's current form, and the screens appear to sometimes lose sync of each other (though this may be intentional on the video). Though if the concept takes off, these issues could all be easily fixed in a future version.

I doubt you can use that during "Weather" related reports. So it's essentially worthless and I can see how that thing can break so easily because we all know how Stations treat microphones. Not very good.

I doubt you can use that during "Weather" related reports. So it's essentially worthless and I can see how that thing can break so easily because we all know how Stations treat microphones. Not very good.

Yeah.. I see every station out there jumping to buy these things (sarcasm). Most stations are now trying to go the save money and not waste money on things.. Heck, many are too cheap to replace the already banged up standard mic flags they currently have and just use tape to keep them together. Plus, the way I see mics/mic flags treated at the stations with the constant banging and thrown around, these wouldn't last a single day. I like the double sided sticky foam touch on that 3 sided one on the video..

I'm sure I could rig one of those 3 sided digital mic flags with some of my old Droid phones laying around..

Guest NewsHound

Just take those digital photo album keychains they sell at the dollar store and glue them to a standard mic flag...

Guest Michael Evans

This just gave the networks another revenue stream for advertising.....I can imagine Pepsi and others would pay bank to have their logo switching with ABC's.

Archived