WCCO receives O&O Treatment as well

I know a few people here don't like the CBS O&O graphics package. I personally like it. It makes alot of sense business-wise. The stations using it are happy with it. It's a very flexible package from what I've been told by a few. It all depends on a station's implementation of the package. Some stations use it better than others. It has saved the CBS O&O group millions of dollars. Plus, it's also available to Non-O&O CBS stations for alot cheaper than Hothaus, GO, or just about any outside TV news graphics firm out there.

LNJ, I remember you saying on here last summer when the graphics debuted that the official edict to all the O&Os was to either use the standardized GO graphics or to use in-house graphics. Now that WCCO has adopted the package, is the official rule now that every O&O must use it?

LNJ, I remember you saying on here last summer when the graphics debuted that the official edict to all the O&Os was to either use the standardized GO graphics or to use in-house graphics. Now that WCCO has adopted the package, is the official rule now that every O&O must use it?

That was what I heard last summer.. Last summer, the thing they were pushing was no more paying for graphics from outside firms (Hothaus, especially). It was millions of dollars going down the drain. Now they're just making everyone go with the O&O look and probably making the individual stations who waited so long to decide who in the creative/graphics department to let go from the station. Some stations (like WCCO and WBZ) have quite a bit more people in those departments than other O&O's. I'm sure there will be some letting go of "unnecessary" people soon at a few stations. From what I heard from at someone at one of the last O&O's to change, the order was handed down from New York to switch now. The stations who waited don't seem to be getting any flexibility that the stations that switched earlier on got. It's a good reason why when a higher boss says to do something, it's better to just do it early on.. Now people who could have kept their jobs, well, are probably going to be handed pink slips.

I got a feeling the new look with be a trainwreck with people working at WJZ. It will be too advanced and up to date for any of them to handle..

I got a feeling the new look with be a trainwreck with people working at WJZ. It will be too advanced and up to date for any of them to handle..

Do they even have a graphics system that can handle that package? I could see them just trying to run the open and their whole operation crash and burn as a result.

Do they even have a graphics system that can handle that package? I could see them just trying to run the open and their whole operation crash and burn as a result.

I was wondering about that too.. But after watching some of their videos, I, surprisingly, think their graphics system would be capable. They got alot of modern day animations/elements going on with their graphics. Alot more going on than the CBS O&O look. I just think they like having graphics that look over a decade old. They just purposely have a look that looks like it's from 1997. Everything about that stations is just so.. old. Old talent, old looking graphics, a set that looks old too. I guess Baltimore likes old. A damn old 1970's logo too. What the hell is with having neon station logo signs in the newsroom and weather center?!?

Archived