CBS2 HD Observations

NYNews

Did they get rid of their "Live Doppler" aka "Doppler 2 Million" ? With "Titan" we can see the doppler beams orginiates from Long Island (I think this one if from the NWS, WPIX also uses this one for their maps) and upstate NY, the "Live Doppler" used to originate from the city.

- They added new monitors in the weather center, don't know if they're for show or actually useful. Interestingly enough, the "Live Doppler" logo can bee seen on one of them.

-Weather Graphics: You know, the upper right hand corner that indicates the day on the weather maps, looks horrible. It seems like they just placed a blue background over the old graphics.

-Lotto: I like how they also give the "Mega Millions" numbers, not just NY/NJ/CT Lotto.

-Stocks: I like how they use the logo of the respective markets. (Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P)

- I like the aerial city shots they used for the close.

-News Coverage: About the same. Certainly a lot of consumer reports though.

- They changed the 6pm intro flyover to reflect they fact that it's not as dark outside as it is at 11pm.

- I really like the new music they're using, I hope they use more cuts of it.

- Jim and Dana seemed to have lost some chemistry.

- It's wierd that after someone on this board suggested the change of the weather team and it happens . The veterans with the veteran (Jim, Dana, John), the newbies with the newbie (Chris, Kristine, Lonnie). I think it's a good idea.

- It seems that WCBS will always go back to how things used to be.

Ie: The time and temperature bug. Weather Graphics (They never use a new format) .

Weather (two meterologist at 5 & 6pm, similar to the David Rodgers and Janine D'Adamo setup)

- Is John Bolaris staying or is he still leaving the station at the end of this year? I saw his signature wave goodbye at the end of the 11pm newscast and i've gotton accustiomed to that and his funny personality. I hope he stays.

Did they get rid of their "Live Doppler" aka "Doppler 2 Million" ? With "Titan" we can see the doppler beams orginiates from Long Island (I think this one if from the NWS, WPIX also uses this one for their maps) and upstate NY, the "Live Doppler" used to originate from the city.

- They added new monitors in the weather center, don't know if they're for show or actually useful. Interestingly enough, the "Live Doppler" logo can bee seen on one of them.

-Weather Graphics: You know, the upper right hand corner that indicates the day on the weather maps, looks horrible. It seems like they just placed a blue background over the old graphics.

-Lotto: I like how they also give the "Mega Millions" numbers, not just NY/NJ/CT Lotto.

-Stocks: I like how they use the logo of the respective markets. (Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P)

- I like the aerial city shots they used for the close.

-News Coverage: About the same. Certainly a lot of consumer reports though.

- They changed the 6pm intro flyover to reflect they fact that it's not as dark outside as it is at 11pm.

- I really like the new music they're using, I hope they use more cuts of it.

- Jim and Dana seemed to have lost some chemistry.

- It's wierd that after someone on this board suggested the change of the weather team and it happens . The veterans with the veteran (Jim, Dana, John), the newbies with the newbie (Chris, Kristine, Lonnie). I think it's a good idea.

- It seems that WCBS will always go back to how things used to be.

Ie: The time and temperature bug. Weather Graphics (They never use a new format) .

Weather (two meterologist at 5 & 6pm, similar to the David Rodgers and Janine D'Adamo setup)

- Is John Bolaris staying or is he still leaving the station at the end of this year? I saw his signature wave goodbye at the end of the 11pm newscast and i've gotton accustiomed to that and his funny personality. I hope he stays.

Who knows whats going on in the weather dept. Today, both Lonnie and John Elliott were on at noon. No doubt that Lonnie will be on with Johnny B at 5. Strange, maybe it's a "breaking in" period.

The doppler should not be in NYC because of the dead zone that is associated with this type of radar. Each doppler has a "dead zone" of about 1 mile, meaning that it cannot see weather in a 1 mile radius, so if a the doppler is in NYC, it would leave millions without weather coverage, where as if it is in Long Island, it would leave less people without coverage, and it is easier to interpret and predict weather on Long Island once it hits Manhattan and Eastern New Jersey.

But what happened to "Live Doppler?" I don't think they have officially stopped using it because it is advertized on the website and in their weather center. Do you think they are just making it HD ready?

I don't watch CBS 2 News that often, but I have noticed that for all of their newscasts their new skyline is only a night time view. Why can't they do what WNBC and WABC do? It looks really bad when its bright out especially this time of the year when it does not get dark till 8:00.

Interesting...How Lonnie is only on the job for about 3 weeks...and he's already taking off..he hasn't been on none of the newscasts today...I just thought that was real interesting..

I was saying the same thing. Who does that especially in this sweeps period.

Interesting...How Lonnie is only on the job for about 3 weeks...and he's already taking off..he hasn't been on none of the newscasts today...I just thought that was real interesting..

I was saying the same thing. Who does that especially in this sweeps period.

Maybe they came to agreement to let him out of his contract...Oh god I hope so..

How come they never gave any type of press release for their new hires, except for Sean Hennesey? Lonnie and Discepelo never got one.

I can finally see WCBS trying to give an identity for themselves, its a good thing,

I think they're trying to identify itself as the consumer/Info for you type. (Ie: Healty, wealthy and wise)

WNBC already had the hard news covered.

WABC has your neighborhood/backyard stories.

WNYW has the "in your face" style.

WPIX has a nice balance of everything

WWOR... don't know?

Did they use Katie McGee's old pic for her bio or is it a new one? And speaking of bio pics, some of the new ones looks horrible, seems like they didn't have enough lighting.

Dr. Holly Phillips seems like she trying too hard to the point where she seems fake. Every time she's on, she has a different voice/demeanor. It doesn't seem natural, it seems like she's trying to put on a show, don't know if she's nervous or something. Has anyone else notice this?

Saw Dana tonight standing in front of the huge screen in the old noon/5pm set tonight. Not much changes based on my observations. The desk was removed, i guess they're getting a new one.

How come they never gave any type of press release for their new hires, except for Sean Hennesey? Lonnie and Discepelo never got one.

I can finally see WCBS trying to give an identity for themselves, its a good thing,

I think they're trying to identify itself as the consumer/Info for you type. (Ie: Healty, wealthy and wise)

WNBC already had the hard news covered.

WABC has your neighborhood/backyard stories.

WNYW has the "in your face" style.

WPIX has a nice balance of everything

WWOR... don't know?

Did they use Katie McGee's old pic for her bio or is it a new one? And speaking of bio pics, some of the new ones looks horrible, seems like they didn't have enough lighting.

I take great offense in your saying that WABC has the "neighborhood/backyard" stories. that's a crock. WABC covers hard news just as well as WNBC, if not better. WABC is just more "personable" and "relatible" because their reporters are actual New Yorkers for the most part, and know the territory they're covering. I'll take a good hard-news Jim Dolan story over anything on WNBC anyday.

My take on the stations - and this is only a personal take from what I've seen past and present.

WABC is straight news. No flash, no fancy graphics, no gimmicks, just straightforward news coverage.

WNBC is more personality-based. Not as much as the News 4 New York and Eyewitness News of old, but it plays largely to the strength of its anchors - mainly, Chuck and Sue.

WNYW is brash, in-your-face, and somewhat gritty. This ain't new; in that sense it is a continuation of the old Metromedia WNEW (although it is a lot more sensationalistic).

WPIX is, as said before, very balanced.

WWOR is Fox's alternative to WNYW - way more straightforward.

WCBS changes so often it's hard to pin them down. I haven't seen full newscasts lately, but it seems to be news delivered by pretty faces, not much else.

Did anyone see the story that aired on CBS2 last week. It was about 5 Tips to improve a couple sex lives. I asked the question, Where are the tips because all they talked about were women and their low sex drives and how it complicated a marriage after the birth of their child. No tips were offered and the story was rushed.

Did anyone see the story that aired on CBS2 last week. It was about 5 Tips to improve a couple sex lives. I asked the question, Where are the tips because all they talked about were women and their low sex drives and how it complicated a marriage after the birth of their child. No tips were offered and the story was rushed.

I wonder why they bothered doing a story like that to begin with.

THey ran promo after promo of that sex tips story. I happened to catch it accidentally. This was a horrendous story. Dr. Holly Philipps is the single worst medical reporter in this market. Every story she does is a list of crap taken out of Cosmo or any other quick tip magazine list. Keep this in mind anytime you see her do a report. They all amount to about 5 minutes or less of research.

Guest wfaa8fan

Or maybe a whole new set...Hmph..

WCBS is getting a new set. The current one, as I was told, is only for the time being.

Or maybe a whole new set...Hmph..

WCBS is getting a new set. The current one, as I was told, is only for the time being.

The one that they are using is a vast improvement than before but I am glad they are getting a new one/

Archived