It's official....KCBS and KCAL going HD this weekend! Bid Farewell to Hollywood!

mbhcity

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching KCAL's news at eight last night, and I noticed the screen was always changing. Part of the time it had a shot of the skyline, part of the time it had a video of people sitting in traffic, and part of the time it had an enormous moving KCAL logo. The emphasis with the new graphics seems to be big. KCBS and KCAL are your source for BIG news. As far as the KCAL music goes, I did not think that it was nearly strong enough. Perhaps I've been watching too much KABC, but it just seemed too subtle. The old music was better.

Just before the channel went to break, the view was changed to a wide shot of the set rather than a camera or just straight into commercials. I can tell that KCAL/KCBS really likes this set. Personally, based on the shots I saw, it is very elaborate and classy, but perhaps a bit too over the top (it’s also a little dark). I'm sure each set's cost topped KNBC and KABC.

Also, a note for SD TV users like me: in-studio shots look alright on SD televisions but field video looks distorted and awful.

The set looks dark because of the colors around the projection screen, isn't there some kind of gray border around the projection screen. That was the case in SD, the new set channel 8 got was way too dark, until a few weeks later when someone decided to turn on some light that go around the projection screen and it made it a little better. It still looks dark but give it some time. What I am curious about is what KCBS/KCAL are going to do when their projection screen is not working, are they going to pull down an L.A. skyline wallpaper? Sometimes these big projection screens have a habit of going black.

Hothaus has some nice stuff however, it would be a problem in Chicago.. WBBM would be looking too much like WLS.

Well, Hothaus has designed both KTVU and KPIX here in the Bay Area, and no one thinks they look alike. I don't think it would be much of an issue.

As for the set...am I the only one who thinks the anchors over on the KCBS set are miles apart? Seriously, you don't have to have THAT much separation when shooting in 16:9. (KTVU moved the anchors an additional 6 or so inches apart when they adapted their current set to shoot in 16:9.) That one-shot with the plasma OTS is way too wide anyway...in one screenshot, Linda Alvarez was lost in the frame amongst all that set. The background sucks. What a waste of a nice rear-projection screen. The live skyline is becoming slightly overused in Los Angeles (KABC, KNBC, and KTLA all use live skycams for their backgrounds), but seriously...KCBS isn't winning any points with what they've got going on back there.

Plus, it looks as if KCAL got gypped in the set department. KCBS has this monstrosity of a set, while KCAL appears to be crammed in the corner of a smaller studio.

Basically to sum things up....The new look stinks!

I sometimes think that the set looks more like a chroma key than an actual set.

I guess everyone here is right, KCBS got screwed, and once again the ratings will show. Another failure for Channel 2.

I guess the curse of Jerry Dunphy lives on! Ironic how they named the newsroom after him!

I don't think the graphics are as bad as other people say - and they are way better than WCBS - but it is a step down. It doesn't look as classy as the old set did, and maybe Hothaus should have brought the KYW look over here. THAT look is clearly an evolution of KCBS/KCAL's last looks...

Sometimes these big projection screens have a habit of going black.

They do. I remember pre-HD, KABC newscasts that used the set with screen with LA skyline sometimes had to use the other set with no screen presumably due to problems.

Something wrong when 2nd largest media market in the nation graphics look like amatuer hour. (Ironically there people on this board whose artwork could easly[sic] work at any station in LA) but I digress.

The graphics at CBS 2 and KCAL 9 could been much better. The design was fine but the color scheme and fonts just doesnt work for me. Graphics look like it belong on the tv coverage of the annual Anaheim Haloween Parade. These colors dont work in LA. By the way does anyone know this is the evening grahpics and there are morning graphics??? Just asking.

Maybe they will tweak the set with color scheme and use the skyline of the city or use graphics CBS 2 logos like Eyewitness News going retro with the ABC 7 logo.

Incidently the CBS 2 news logo on the rear projector looks like the the station was changing its logo but it didnt. The station should change its logo to match its graphics. The look was disconnected froim each other.

What did KCBS/KCAL do with their old set? They aren't going to put it up for sale on ebay again, are they?

What I am curious about is what KCBS/KCAL are going to do when their projection screen is not working, are they going to pull down an L.A. skyline wallpaper? Sometimes these big projection screens have a habit of going black.

If I remember correctly, back when WBBM had their original 2002 DDG "Works For You" set with the large rear projection screen in the background, there was also a large graphic backdrop made that could easily be attached to the wall just incase the screen didn't work. I'm sure KCBS has done something similar.

What did KCBS/KCAL do with their old set? They aren't going to put it up for sale on ebay again, are they?

I'm not sure, but I do know there's a broadcast journalism department at a certain university in Northern California who would make great use of it...

Is it just me or does the HD quality on KCBS/KCAL does not compare to KABC. The colors on KCBS/KCAL seem dull and not as vibrant as KABC. On KABC, I can see Leslie Sykes eyes sparkle and one time I saw Micah Olman have a little drop of spit on his lip. I don't seem to see this type of quality on the KCBS/KCAL. The HD field cameras on KCBS/KCAL also seem to be not that great. Am I the only one that notices this.

I'm not sure, but I do know there's a broadcast journalism department at a certain university in Northern California who would make great use of it...

let me guess....it's a Cal State, probably in San Jose or San Francisco. Nah, they'll probably donate it to CSUN, which is nearby.

Geez, Robin Robinson needs to lay off the collagen lip injections, before she turns into Mia Lee ;D Speaking of whom, I can't wait to see what she looks like in HD on Monday :;)

Here is your Mia Lee

0423h15m08ch104525kcal9ca9.jpg

And KCBS put a behind the scenes video on cbs2.com

http://www.cbs2.com/video/[email protected]

Geez, Robin Robinson needs to lay off the collagen lip injections, before she turns into Mia Lee ;D Speaking of whom, I can't wait to see what she looks like in HD on Monday ::)

Here is your Mia Lee

0423h15m08ch104525kcal9ca9.jpg

Mama Mia! Thanks!

I like the KABC set best....One thing that really bugs me about the new KCBS set is the clear glass strips next to the projection screen. They have them on the viewer's right side of the set but not the left. It just looks tacky that they have them on one side but not the other. :-\

I have to agree with the minority on this one, I like the new KCBS/KCAL look, it's a step up from their previous look and much better than WCBS and KYW look. I love the side bars when they use the field cameras, too, however I wish they would implement those HD cameras already!

I believe the glass on the side might light up, It does look a little dark. I think that the KABC set trumps every other one in the L.A. market. I wonder if KNBC will get a new set whenever they decide to go HD. I know the set is only about 3 or 4 years old but look at KCBS they lasted on 3 years + with the other set, so it is possible.

EDIT: here is the new open posted on youtube

Just curious, which HD set do you like the best so far?

ABC7

0422h23m17ch94504abc7hdys7.jpg

KTLA5

ktladtaug09004vx4.jpg

CBS2

0422h23m10ch93501cbs2hdtf4.jpg

KCAL9

0423h20m12ch104525kcal9lq5.jpg

I think that KTLA has the best HD set and graphics in the Los Angeles area. The HD set looks amazing and KTLA has the best graphics in the

Tribune group. They are way better than there sister station WPIX.

Archived