The Creepy Looking Newscasters Thread

KKyuubi

John Delusic, morning weather anchor at WTVA-Tupelo. He has this scary "to catch a predator" look to him. Creeps me out every time he's on the air.

Creeped out by HIM? No, there are worse things you should be creeped out by on WTVA...according to Wikipedia:

One criticism among some WTVA viewers is the use of an on-screen logo at a corner of a television screen, commonly referred to as a station bug. WTVA, as well as WLOV and WKDH, displays its bug on-screen at almost all hours of their broadcasting day, including during commercials. Most stations that have a local bug use it only for news and syndicated programming, removing it for commercials, infomercials, or brokered and network programming.

Though the bug can be removed by the station's master control operator, such operation would be tedious if done manually. Many stations have a trigger system that switches off the bug automatically when local commercials air; WTVA, WLOV, and WKDH do not. Because of this, it is standard operating procedure for master control operators to leave the bug in at all times, except during news broadcasts (a custom time/temp logo display is used for WTVA newscasts) and during network programming, where the bug is repositioned and changed to fit with the network bug.

In accordance with NBC network guidelines, the station bug can be displayed during network programming only during the first act of a television program, and only for the first fifteen seconds. The network bug (in this case, the NBC peacock logo) fades in after fifteen seconds. WTVA, WLOV, and WKDH all display a bug alongside the network logo, giving a crowded appearance on the television screen.

Another criticism is that the studio never seems to be lit well enough for the whole show. In one shot the anchor looks great and the next shot the anchor is washed out, or too dark.

The on-air product has also begun to suffer recently. During the day the shows often have several seconds of black where the station is supposed to put its local commercials. During the news programs, there are few nights the show goes off without a hitch. Many nights even the most novice TV viewer will notice a glaring error in the production, whether it is the audio, the video, or a bad shot from a camera.

The tapes the station uses also have problems and tend to pixelate on the air. Again very few nights a week do viewers get to see a clean newscast without pixelated video or glaring errors in the production of the show.

Another criticism heard often is that the station does not broadcast a digital signal. The station also still broadcasts a mono audio signal. This means that if the home viewer has a surround sound system, the audio they receive will not be any different from that of a viewer with one speaker.

5080115_BG1.jpg

Yikes! That's Steve Beylon the weekend-morning meteorologist for WBAY.

Torregrossa.jpg

Mark Torregrossa, now a meteorologist at WEYI in Saginaw, MI. It looks like he took this picture himself. The only reason I know of him, is because he used to be a meteorologist at WGBA in Green Bay.

Mike%20Benner2.jpg

Speaking of WGBA, here is one of their reporters Michael Benner. He doesn't look creepy on-air, but this picture certainly does.

Lucas Colavecchio from WGME

LiveL31165549109.jpg

I've had to sit in the audience with the guy at several press conferences in the past. He's just one of those people that gives off a "weirdness" vibe in any encounter. Add in an odd voice/inflection and that just ups the ante. Some of my co-workers had similar impressions of him as well, so I don't think I'm alone on this.

A few others...

Dave Dickson, formerly of KPRC (I heard he was a fill-in weatherman on News 8 Austin, but not certain of that)

DaveDixon1165549474.jpg

Higher-pitched voice really increased the creepiness factor.

Chris Horgen from KAUZ in Wichita Falls...

HorgenTal1165549929.jpg

Um, yeah.

John Delusic, morning weather anchor at WTVA-Tupelo. He has this scary "to catch a predator" look to him. Creeps me out every time he's on the air.

Hey, no smack talk about Johnny D. He's the absolute nicest guy you'll ever meet, and a great meteorologist to boot -- he taught me a *lot* in my time there.

5080115_BG1.jpg

Yikes! That's Steve Beylon the weekend-morning meteorologist for WBAY.

Torregrossa.jpg

Mark Torregrossa, now a meteorologist at WEYI in Saginaw, MI. It looks like he took this picture himself. The only reason I know of him, is because he used to be a meteorologist at WGBA in Green Bay.

Mike%20Benner2.jpg

Speaking of WGBA, here is one of their reporters Michael Benner. He doesn't look creepy on-air, but this picture certainly does.

LOL, I worked with Beylon quite a while ago in Topeka. A great guy but yes a little freaky looking, but then again, who in TV isn't!

Archived