WCBS Goes HD Today/Tomorrow?

qwertynyc

I also notice how they're kinda copying WNBC, with announcing public events(new gallery at the MET and something about WCBS goes green.) WNBC has a lot more though (Tribeca Film Festival, etc)

Too bad WABC is going to trump everyone come the fall.

WNBC's sets and graphics are hard to beat, to the point where no other stations can match or do better.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I like this a lot more too. I do not like how they are advertising the crimestoppers number for no reason. Anyone who has been watching NY news for more than a few months has that number in their head whether they know it or not.

The graphics, I didn't see it at first, but I do now, that they use all the same colors that Katie's graphics do.

I like some of the new camera angles too. I do not like the new weather maps.... the numbers and NYC being so much larger is not attractive. I do like the TrueView temperatures hour by hour though.. thats a nice add-on.

Did Titan replace Vipir for WCBS? And for that matter, did it replace Doppler 2 Million/Live Doppler? Because John zoomed into our area using Titan before.

And tonight they didn't check whats coming up on the Evening News with Katie... is this a new thing where they don't do that? I only recently noticed that they dropped Katie's Notebook (months ago).

They really need to rename the "5 Day Forecast" to something else too.

I also don't like how Dana gets done teasing the 6pm at 5:53, and she is at the desk starting the 6pm news at 5:58. Seems like a really short time for her to get downstairs and into the studio and be prepared to do the news. Yesterday when Jim teased it for the first time in a while, he had his jacket on and all as if he had to rush down to the studio. I just think they can do it a few minutes earlier.

I think the only CW station in HD is KTLA. I was also surprised about WCBS beating KCBS/KCAL to the first CBS O&O in HD.

Repeating what was said before, KYW is an O&O and they went HD April 2.

i'm not liking the whole straight-edged theme, it really does seem ordinary. The set i hope is still a work in progress b/c it seems they rushed it, it still looks [added]very bad, but nonetheless, it's still an updated one. I like the openings of the newscasts, very sharp looking. Besides that, i'm not impressed. How long do you guys think the graphics will last? No doubt there will be another change next srping.

ok, maybe one more thing. I also like the CBS2/Weather Channel montage.

I just caught the last few minutes of the 6pm newscast. Another disguting blue backdrop. I didn't get a good look at it but it seems like a poor looking xerox copy of the picture of the city either channel 4 or 7 uses.

So did they use this set for 5 and 6? They didn't use the rear projection pircture for anything? That looks better when they use the nighttime shot.

Hmm didn't get to see any of this, but from reading all of these posts, I am assuming that WCBS is finally starting to get with the program a bit. They still could've brought Roz Abrams back for the HD overhaul, but it isn't happening. I saw the graphics in the forum, it is a step up from what they had before which is good, so WCBS is slowly progressing to the good. So they have a good solid presentation aesthetically. The opens are pretty nice as well, they are way better than WABC and WNBC's openings. Overall not bad of a job, they still have a lot of work to do it is not over yet though... No where near over yet... Now what they have to build on is their personalities. They need to adjust their anchors because its still a bit screwed up. Overall, I think the change is pretty nice, and I definitely commend them on that.

Only thing I'm gonna complain about is the lousy horrible font choice though. They could've done a lot better than that, at least choose Helvetica, Arial is too plain and overused and bland at the same time. The fonts are pretty much to say the least horrible and a step down from what they had before. They should've returned to the font they had back in April 2006 - August 2006, at the time they had the best looking graphics, now only if they brought that font back with this current package then it would be a bit nicer...

Oh and I should add another thing, the "Coming Up" tease looks too much like WNBC, they really should change that too, after looking at those graphics I almost thought it was WNBC I was watching, not cool at all.

I think the only CW station in HD is KTLA. I was also surprised about WCBS beating KYW and KCBS/KCAL for CBS O&O HD

FOR THE 100th TIME!! KYW IN PHILADELPHIA, WAS THE FIRST CBS O&O TO HAVE THEIR NEWSCASTS BROADCAST IN HIGH DEFINITION!!!

This is a significant step down, I think. The font choice is horrible and I hate the redone logo (it looks HORRIBLE).

I tried to watch the clips at the website but I just can't get past that awful anchor. Why did they think he was ever good enough to be the sports guy, let alone a news anchor? He's got probably the worst delivery I've ever heard.

You should try watching him alongside Kristine Johnson. He at least is expressing talent + a wild attempt to be good at what his new job is.

I'll give WCBS credit on having the best shots of the city for their new open - remind me a lot of the WCBS Grand era.

Anyway, the new music isn't bad, nor are the graphics - but what happened to the 5AM/Noon/5PM set? That was by FAR better then the 6PM/11PM set, and hopefully it'll be back - these blue skyscapes with no color are kinda bland.

For the person who said that WNBC's set is hard to beat, or unbeatable - just wait until you see WABC's new studio and SETS (yes, 3 of them) this fall!

for the person who said "just wait until you see WABC's new studio and SETS (yes, 3 of them) this fall!"

i guess we'll have to wait and see then, even though having three sets seems extreme and not necessary... ::)

Well WNBC has 3 sets. Morning/Live at 5, News 4 You, and the 6/11 set.

Right you are, but i think News 4 You deserves it's own set. I mean if WABC is going to have 1 set in the morning/noon, 1 set at 5pm and 1 set at 6/11pm,(or somewhere along those lines) it doesn't seem efficient or necessary.

Why is Doc Holly, who recorded that in the studio still in SD? Is this another one of those things like Reel Talk? Thats annoying.

Dana looks good in HD, which makes me wonder if she has had any work done like Roz and Ernie. Jim looks older. I really like the look of the third to last capture with the four of them at the desk. The studio looks really nice there.

The pics can be used as evidence. I think the set looks horrible with the blue and grey and wood all together. Too much going on. The birch wood desk looks cheap, i think a darker color wood would fit nice, perhaps mahogany.

Archived