WCBS Goes HD Today/Tomorrow?

qwertynyc

Did anyone catch Kate Sullivan this morning mention that CBS 2 News was going HD? She mentioned it on the 7:25 cut-in, but unfortunately I did not hear whether it was happening tonight or tomorrow morning. Anyone have the scoop?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a significant step down, I think. The font choice is horrible and I hate the redone logo (it looks HORRIBLE).

I tried to watch the clips at the website but I just can't get past that awful anchor. Why did they think he was ever good enough to be the sports guy, let alone a news anchor? He's got probably the worst delivery I've ever heard.

I do think it is an improvement but like Hulkie said, the font choice is amazingly bad. That font needs to be changed immediately otherwise, it's not the best but an improvement. Now I heard before that WCBS would be going HD, but this is pretty unexpected. I dont know, I just did not see it coming for WCBS this quick.

Also, did WPIX ever announce in any way that they were going/are currently HD?

Graphics are better than the Aug '06 - Apr '07 package, not as nice as those used between Apr '06 - Aug '06. Basically it's the network's CBS News package, IMHO.

The Trebuchet font was classy and refreshing, bring it back. Arial's dull.

The prior theme music was great, didn't need a refresh.

I wasn't expecting a midweek transition!!

I just saw Kate/Chris promo the news at 5 with new graphics and at the evening set... but that was only a glimpse... I really can't wait to see the whole thing and judge.

Wow.. even the micflags... thats not going overboard, like WNBC did. And even the Entertainment Tonight promos say on "CBS 2 HD".... why do these stations believe in going nuts over HD?

My opinions. Nice graphics.. better than the stuff they had. I like the new cut of the theme... but I still like the old April graphics.

GORGEOUS OPEN FOR THE FIVE PM!!! So beautiful! But still, no anchor opens.

and really really nice evening set.. I love how big it looks.

Like the bug a LOT better than the old one, looks more like it used to be, but the HDTV is excessive.

I like the new animated graphics a lot better than the old ones.. Font seems too plain, but maybe that will change.

Way to go WCBS. You fixed just one of your problems.

Hmm.. new weather system too.. "Titan"...

yeah. a big improvement for channel 2. I hope they still will use the "morning" set though, it looks like they didn't use it for noon and they aren't at 5pm. They did this morning though... so I hope it isn't all gone.

Now if they can just fix that little problem with Kristine Johnson being an anchor, they might again be able to try to stage a comeback.

Darnit, I can't believe they beat KCBS to become the first HD CBS O&O. It should have been KCBS...but it's NYC. Congrats.

Actually, that's wrong. KYW was actually.

They should have used KYW's graphics, the new font is horrible. Also, pimping the fact they are in HD=BIGNONO!

But, this is TOTALLY OUT OF NOWHERE that this came, I never expected that such a horrible station, would actually take the plunge. I am just plain stunned, and I don't even live in New York!

Thank goodness they changed that hideous transparent bug that never lit up. This is so much more watchable and better.

I find nothing wrong with the font. It's very clear, easy to read really quick.

The set is nice. I love how they expanded the backdrop to include everything in a much nicer shade of blue.

The overall graphics and animations are really flashy with the CBS "eye". So far, I can't complain for a change.

I see a slight similarity between WCBS and CBS News (ie: L3s the same colors). Wait is that a new set, i just saw the old one next to the new one, with the shot of John.

Nevermind that, it seems that the they pushed the old backdrop to the sides.

The graphics are flashy and new, but i think they still could have done something better, some of it seems plain.

and i really had hoped they got rid of the blue backdrop, but they just added a new one. ::)

It's a much nicer and flashier blue backdrop. It's more of a WNBC-type around the desk size.

I see the "old type" set on the sides with the wood shade, but the backdrops look different when they pulled out.

I like the color blend on the L3, even though they are on par with CBS News. They're much better than the blue line and transparent bug.

Based on what I saw yesterday, compared to today...I am much happier that era is over.

Darnit, I can't believe they beat KCBS to become the first HD CBS O&O. It should have been KCBS...but it's NYC. Congrats.

You forgot KYW (CBS 3 PHILADELPHIA), which went HD April 2nd to become the most advanced HD news station in the country. So I would say, Philly's CBS got both New York and L.A. beat there. 8)

Archived