WTSP's Overhaul

Discussion in 'General TV' started by TheRob, Apr 18, 2017.

1. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

I'm guessing this is all experimental - and not sure if Tegna is responsible or the ND of WTSP is responsible.

2. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Joel Cheatwood is behind all this.
    Nuff said.

HulkieD and rkolsen like this.
  3. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

Thank you WTSP for letting viewers deflect over to WFLA and especially to WTVT.

Greggo likes this.
  4. A3N

A3N LIVE

Anyone want to take a guess as to how long this garbage format will exist?

I say 3 months tops.

5. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Has Cheatwood really done anything of note since WSVN/WHDH?

mposeymil and rkolsen like this.
  6. TennTV1983

TennTV1983 Primary Anchor

Apart from that time he ran WCBS as the CBS 2 Information Network?

7. TVIntheDesert

TVIntheDesert Managing Editor

There was also Fox's WJZY experiment three years ago (they've long ditched that and they're still struggling).

The only unconventional newscast to be moderately successful that I can remember was KNXV's "No Chit-Chat, More News" days from 1995-96.

mposeymil likes this.
  8. jbnews

jbnews Managing Editor

Haven't watched one of their newscasts yet. I might sometime. They sound like crap. Why don't they go back to their fast paced format in the early 2010s that led to ratings INCREASES. It seems Tampa liked that kind of stuff. Not that hard people.

9. tw-804

tw-804 Primary Anchor

...and to WFTS.

Anyway, I watched WTSP's 11pm news last night. No words. That format won't last.

10. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

That actually worked *at the time*, too. From the 8/1/94 launch to sometime in '96. The legacy stuck around for a while but KNXV just wasn't good again until they hit "restart" in 2002.

42 Daily News might also fall in the experiment bin, but by the standards they were playing with, anything would have been a success (though it did its job and laid the foundation for years of improvement at the station).

11. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Let's get some more reactions:

Here are some from Facebook. Some crack me up:

"...The new set I can tolerate, however the other changes are to the degree that 10 news needs to return to what they were or face consequences."

"lighting is way too dark, and far too much chit-chatting between newscasters. Sometimes unable to understand what they are saying as too busy pretending to have conversations with heads turned away from cameras. Just stick to the news"

"Could you please stop moving from desk to desk. Your mics are not working correctly and everything is muffled. PLEASE bring back the other crew and news. This has been horrible. You just lost my viewing....."

"Just unfollowed ch 10 News WTSP.
    Too biased."

"I have watched the 11 o'clock news for many years. I like and count on it so much that I record it on my cable dvr. Not only did you change all the anchors, many of the field reporters, the entire set, the program content (which no longer includes real local, national and world news) but you change the name and even my dvr didn't recognize or record it as 10 news. It's terrible!"

"WOW... 10News WTSP really jumped the shark with that grotesque change to our late news at 11pm. I hope they dont think that is what people want to see at 11pm."

"I am not sure who is responsible for the changes I just witnessed, but other than the weather, THAT was NOT pleasant.
    Someone needs to lose their job for this abomination to our lovely 10 News at 11...If that is what you continue to do, I will not even bother with channel 10 anymore, and I can see that I am not alone. WOW that was bad."

"Your new morning format is insipid. I have given up after 3 days .I can't bring myself to watch anymore. You have lost a long-term viewer."

"Instead of spending the money on that fancy new updated set, perhaps adding some money to dig deep into why sick people are being turned away from an Emergency room when they need help would be a better way to spend your money and a far better investment. People that are healthy are far more likely to watch the news than sick and injured people watching news anchors sip some over hyped drink from a company that makes terrible coffee."

"When will you guys unfix your newscast? When the ratings go to zero point zero?"

Also, I had to sift through all the above and more to find:

"Like the new design, look and layout of 6 pm news. . ."

12. susquvalleywgal

susquvalleywgal AM Anchor

The graphics are nice. No doubt about that.

The problem with me is the format, of course. "Hey baby, this is 10 News!" ... "Netflix and chill baby!!" ... this is news here. Not a more modern version of TMZ27 Daybreak.

-- Matt

13. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

That's *exactly* the problem. In a vacuum, the news graphics and music are a breath of fresh air, leaving behind a laden legacy of news open designs. But they're paired with the worst presentation in television news.

Daybreak likes this.
  14. YTownNewsGuy

YTownNewsGuy News Director

The graphics aren't really the problem with the newscasts. It's the fact that WTSP is now "TMZ Local on 10". Fox, Scripps, and Nexstar are laughing all the way to the bank while WTSP possibly pulls in hashmarks for ratings next few books.

15. 8Viewer

8Viewer Chief Meteorologist

Everything from the visuals to the story selection is half baked.

And they think they can build around Mark Rivera as Reggie's replacement. Rivera is a pretty face. He isn't much of a journalist. There's no substance to Rivera.

The abortion known as WTSP.

#75 8Viewer, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  16. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

Don't forget Calkin soon-to-be Raycom for WWSB in Sarasota.

17. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

Maybe this is why Hearst hasn't sold WMOR. They're waiting for one of the other stations to either self-destruct or go on the market. Instant duopoly.

mposeymil likes this.
  18. MidwestTV

MidwestTV Station Group CEO

What might annoy me the most is Alex Miranda as their "Social Media Anchor." Everything about that is awkward and seems forced. Also, I don't know what it is, but his IFB is always ridiculously noticeable. Maybe that's intentional for the new format, but it's distract.

19. Charles

Charles News Director

I will say something in defense of Gannett/Tegna: I think they're actually a pretty creative station group. They are willing to try new concepts and ideas to make local news actually feel like something that came from this century. The days are numbered for the station that has an anchor reading in front of a blue backdrop that today we had 15 homicides and 63 violent crimes before tossing to a reporter live in front of a static police station with a three minute package.

I like the strategy that Gannett is using at market leading or otherwise strong stations like KUSA, KGW, and KARE. They all seem to have pretty quick and quirky morning shows, loose lifestyle-y afternoon shows, and pretty hard-hitting, investigative-heavy late newscasts. What KUSA and KARE have done with their 6pm shows with Kyle Clark and Jana Shortal are pretty interesting ways of reformatting an otherwise traditional newscast into a more vernacular, if somewhat irreverent, style. They've diversified show formats to optimize them for the time of day, but with all of these changes, they've phased them in all while largely keeping the same brand.

But with that said, I watched most of WTSP's 11pm tonight, and I don't think this strategy for the straggler stations works. I don't think it's as horrible as it's made out to be on here, but it didn't leave me thinking that I'd want to come back the next night and watch.

The key issue is that radical talent, format, and branding changes rarely work, especially if done simultaneously. It's amazing stations still try and pull that off, but that seems like a Joel Cheatwood trademark to try and flip everything overnight and move it all into a newsroom. If you want to tinker with the format, fine, but don't fuck with the talent at the same time or else you're going to sabotage anything you're trying to accomplish with format changes.

Whoever those anchors are that I watched had no energy in their delivery. The fire coverage probably needed to go longer and go more in depth— it didn't clock into much more than two or three minutes off the top. Then they went through all of Trump's campaign promises for what seemed like forever with no visuals to go with it beyond some really plain looking fullscreens. If you're going to do politics, why not get a reporter like Chris Vanderveen, Brandon Rittiman, or Kyle Iboshi to do a much better put together package instead of having a stale anchor read through an iPad in front of a video wall with fullscreen after fullscreen?

As for the social media element, I thought most stations would have learned by now that posing a question to viewers and then having anchors on air read the evenly divided responses not only is a dumb social media strategy, but it's also just bad television. Talk about a waste of airtime. I see they hired that guy from Huff Post Live (I knew I recognized him from somewhere), so they must have really put a lot of thought into going long on social media. If that's the case, it's amazing how wrong they're doing it.

Stylistically, it looks nice. I like the graphics shakeup, even if it's a little unnecessary, and even if the open is trying too hard to look cool. I get that WTSP might be a market laggard, but changing everything all at once is only going to drive viewers away, and I didn't see anything tonight that would attract new ones.

cg41386, mposeymil, HulkieD and 5 others like this.
  20. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

That's where I recognized him from. I have wondered where some of the Huff Po Live hosts ended up.