1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

Discussion in 'General TV' started by rkolsen, Oct 19, 2017.

1. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Yes, the tower each of those sticks holds WMAR, WJZ and WBAL-TV and WIYY-FM. The towers owned by all three of them but currently (it appears they rotate in filings) its managed by CBS (Maryland records say its registered to Hearst, however).

Here are all the afternoon openings. I will do all the morning show openings maybe tomorrow or wait until they launch their 4:30 newscast.

2. KentBrockman

KentBrockman I Report, You Decide.

I hate that Vic and Denise didn't do a walk around tour of the set like they did 21 years ago (and if they did I missed it). That would have been icing on the cake. As far as their premiere of the "new home", they sure haven't been outwardly enthusiastic on air about it like the last one. Of course there's no fake fireplace to do the pretend "burning your hand" gag and we don't have a sports director who is an absolute nutcase. Still, I was hoping they would have had them roam around a bit and "play with it".

onthesea likes this.
  3. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

Wait, do Vic and Mary really switch anchor chairs at 4 and 11?

newsanchor26 and Breaking News like this.
  4. rkolsen

Never noticed it before. She was always on viewer left.

onthesea likes this.
  5. rkolsen

They’ve been over the moon. There’s not really much to explore. Pretty much there’s the desk, the cube and soft area aside from the standup area.

6. KentBrockman

Well I can tell you there's at least one thing about that set that probably won't be there in five or ten years, and that's the cube. It's not practical, especially when there's a soft area.

My prediction is that the area that is "the cube" will eventually be converted into a full weather center on set, because it would require minimal change except for maybe removing the glass walls and door, and wiring in some computers and a desk. The placement is good too because the 3x3 wall can be used for full weather instead of the tight green wall shot and it's closer off camera right for the anchors to crosstalk with weather than it is to crosstalk off camera left.

The area that is the "weather center" which is no more than a pod, a touch monitor, and a vertical monitor will likely end up being extra stand up areas for reporters.

I think in theory the idea behind the current placement of things and the cube is ingenious, but practically and in the grand scheme of things I guarantee you once the newness wears off they will be making some changes. Not having a physical weather center on set (though arguably did they have one since the late 90s?) will backfire especially compared to the weather centers that the competition has.

In actuality, it's not necessary to have a "weather center", I know. Most meteorologists can do all their work from an office and then just come onto the set to do their forecast as they're doing now, but when technical issues happen (I.e. clicker not working, jumping ahead too many slides, etc.) or in the case of extended severe weather coverage, it's good to have the weather office on set.

newsanchor26 and rkolsen like this.
  7. C Block

C Block TVNT Local 1544 Union Boss

$5 says the 11pm director got the cameras mixed up with the new set and didn't want to recode by the time he/she noticed.

8. rkolsen

I can see that happening. The pod has already been used. In addition to the 2x2 portrait tower there’s a large portrait monitor to the left of the touch screen.

In this day and age could a laptop or tablet such as a surface be used to control the show? I know WSI has an iPad app not sure about Barron.

Their traffic office is right behind the 3x3 monitor wall and the actual wall. I guess it’s netter that they’re on set as opposed to wherever it originated before. It looked dark and probably regular lighting may spill over to the set. They were setting up the traffic computers during the 3pm hour (makes me wonder why they couldn’t do that say earlier in the day.

Edit: Wanted to add that using the touch screen for the initial forecast with. Bob Turk was iffy as he had to turn to read the numbers. Marty didn’t have trouble. Maybe to prevent them from turning they could put the maps in the prompter.

KentBrockman likes this.
  9. KentBrockman

I'm not sure. I know that particularly with MAX computers (not sure with Baron) that they are so memory and graphic intensive that there's no real portable way to control it from a laptop or a tablet, unless they VPN into the MAX computers from it but that would come at a loss in quality and would be slow. I may have to consult my friend who is an on-air meteorologist and see what he knows because again I'm not sure.

Traffic and weather should be sharing an office, and again the placement of the cube next to the 3x3 wall and near the traffic office would actually remedy this if they did end up converting the cube into a weather center.

The problem with the cube is that I see that being underutilized for the necessity of it. How many times are they going to have special guests or digital producers on set where that will be needed? The couch area that exists now could cover all those bases and TMPs could move the table if needed, move couch if needed, add a rolling monitor to that area and that would cover that.

As far as the area that is the weather center, I don't believe that was planned out very well in regards to the pod and touchscreen because turning around with the back to the camera is almost unavoidable. I'm shocked they didn't have a small monitor off camera either attached to the robotic camera or on a rolling cart off camera that can be positioned to the right or left out of frame so that they can see what they're pointing to without having to turn around. It just is awkward.

The set has many configurations as far as monitors which means there will be no shortage of standup areas for future use. I don't see the current setup lasting very long though.

Another use for the current "weather center" area is an aux set for sports or special event coverage. I know they talked about keeping the old aux set in the other studio and renovating it for the morning show but another monitor array like a 3x3 in the current weather center area could make the argument for keeping the old aux set invalid, they would probably save a lot of money too not having to renovate that 20+ year old aux set.

rkolsen likes this.
  10. rkolsen

FWIW, I haven’t heard anything of that nature. In the Sun article they talked about the rehearsal of the two anchors and Marty being on this set. Additionally Linh and Marty said that this was their new home. They’d need to seriously renovate the newsroom if they wanted the show there (as others mentioned) to make it broadcast ready.

KentBrockman likes this.
  11. KentBrockman

That too. Either which way, I like the set and it's much improved. They still have work to do though and as far as the cube goes, I hope they rethink that area. It seems like just a waste of space.

12. Breaking News

Breaking News News Director

Well, I'll Be Damned! I've been crowing about WJZ and it set, and finally, finally after 20 years in the making. (being sarcastic) It has finally arrived, and it fits like a perfect glove.
    I'm glad that they finally got a new set and they have a nice CBS mandate set, and I'm really happy for the folks at Malden Ave. The new GM she doing the damn thing, and any word from
    K.C. Robertson on the new set? I guess that crickets right now...

NCFLMedia, mposeymil and TheFizzle21 like this.
  13. Georgie56

Georgie56 Happy Warrior

Morning ticker is still the same layout, but the sponsor is moved to the left side. I thought they’d go with the standard scroll. Also, the bug eschews the social media handles on the bottom.

D82C9EAE-2624-44D2-B616-E928EC8DD43C.png

#933 Georgie56, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    onthesea and CaptainBAL like this.
  14. bixpchiphead

bixpchiphead Weekend Anchor

I suspect that 'JZ may also have a camera on the tower. I also believe the 'stick' itself is on 'JZ's property, if so, any view would look straight down on the roof of their building, which might induce vertigo in some viewers

15. CaptainBAL

CaptainBAL I have Stanley, What do you have?

That's a great picture of Mike Schuh there.

I'm a little disappointed with the ticker.

16. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

WJZ’s Drone 13 is being put to masterful use, not unlike 20 years ago when their chopper took pictures of the Baltimore skyline for the old set’s backdrop.

Spectrum27, onthesea and TheFizzle21 like this.
  17. KevCor

KevCor Approval Authority for Media Mergers

@Weeters What do I win for being right!?!?!

It worked better when they were using Chroma Cues since it was commissioned for news purposes.

Fireflies works as a open, but it doesn't have mellow zone in it that wouldn't be overpowering during a topical/promo/bump.

#937 KevCor, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    onthesea likes this.
  18. news89

news89 There is only one JZ!

19. CaptainBAL

CaptainBAL I have Stanley, What do you have?

Chroma cues just doesn't fit anymore... I mean seriously. It doesn't match up.

20. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

There is one cut (or is it a heavily remixed cut?) of Chroma Cues 4.0 that theoretically could fit with the O&O open (skip to 2:08). This cut I’d like to see in a resynch video for kicks and goggles:

Nonetheless it’s very apparent that Like Fireflies was selected on purpose to fit the O&O open right from the beginning. It is a perfect fit time-wise that Chroma Cues 4.0 unfortunately doesn’t exactly have.

mposeymil and MikePulse like this.