1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Discussion in 'Station Chatter' started by Smitha A, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Vlad

Vlad News Director

Honestly they just need to find a way to relieve Camille Edwards of her duties if she's not treating the employees fairly, and these allegations are true. Nobody should be "afraid of going to work" because of a tyrant boss. People need to be in the right state of mind and at ease and should not be "on edge" when working, its not fair and it really affects the quality of work being put out there. Instilling "fear" in the work place is very unhealthy. Especially in this day and age where we live in a society that is more open than before. If she hired Ryan Field over Laura because of her looks then that is just terrible.

Obviously we all don't work there so we can't vouch for them, but what we can all vouch for is expectation of fair and equal treatment for all employees regardless of the workplace and environment we are in. If these allegations are true then its not fair. Thats very appalling to hear especially from the top station in the nation in terms of viewers.

As for Laura Benhke I honestly did not like her as well either, I think Ryan Field was a better fit for the position, only because Laura Benkhe just doesn't have the chemistry that Ryan has. But it is not fair to be denied a position because of race, gender, and etc which goes against so many laws. They can be honest and say that she wasn't the "right fit", but don't say that its because she is blonde, she's not fit to deliver sports, totally unfair.. I mean, lets face it there are better sportscasters out there, for example, Robin Roberts, she was a legend at ESPN before GMA.

2. Roadgeek Adam

Roadgeek Adam Health Reporter

Not the biggest update, but Bill and Lee did a nice thing for Sade who would normally be at the tree.

Bill from Maspeth likes this.
  3. wabceyewitness

wabceyewitness Managing Editor

Camille Edwards is on an extended vacation thru January 2, 2018, per FTV Live. This comes after a rare visit to the station by ABC president Ben Sherwood.

rkolsen, brianpr3 and 24994J like this.
  4. mountainave

mountainave Managing Editor

Haven't seen anything about a suspension of Jim Dolan. Was this reported somewhere?

5. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

I just saw him on the air yesterday. If there was a suspension, it must have ended.

6. Roadgeek Adam

There was a span of 8 weeks a year or couple years back in which Jim Dolan was not on the air. I remember it.

7. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

This could mean something. Could it mean getting fired while on vacation, like the Bill O'Reilly way?

8. Newsjunker95

Newsjunker95 Health Reporter

Sarah Wallace’s firing made Camille the bully

brianpr3 likes this.
  9. brianpr3

brianpr3 News Director

I thought i remember seeing something about it a while back but idk

10. mountainave

mountainave Managing Editor

I'm perhaps being overly critical, but I found WABC's coverage of the Port Authority bombing this morning to be underwhelming. Shirleen was anchoring solo for the majority. Not ideal for a major breaking news event. Nobody else to bounce off of or to jump in with new information.

At one point she read out the bomber's exact home address, which seemed inadvisable at best.

I happened to flip on Fox 5's coverage as well and thought Rosanna and Lori did a solid job.

wabceyewitness likes this.
  11. wnbc2016

wnbc2016 Weekend Anchor

Shirleen anchor the whole special report solo?

12. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

They posted the special report on their YouTube page, and David joined her, at some point.

13. wabceyewitness

wabceyewitness Managing Editor

I meant to comment on the coverage yesterday but forgot to. I completely agree. I know that anchoring breaking news without a lot of new information being provided could be tough but WABC’s coverage was certainly not up to par especially for an event of that magnitude. Shirleen should be able to handing solo coverage of breaking news at this point. She did not come across as being able to do that, given yesterday’s coverage. Lots of stumbling through words, long pauses, “ummmmsss”, and in one remark to former NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly, “totally!” It just felt that she was out of place and it’s unfortunate because she is a good anchor.

I turned off WABC and watched FOX5 and WNBC for the rest of the morning.

#1733 wabceyewitness, Dec 12, 2017 at 4:47 PM
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 12:19 AM
  14. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

I agree she's a great anchor but live breaking news must not be her thing. She had this issue when there was a plane crash (?) at Philly airport and she was on WPVI. Thankfully, Jim Gardner got back to the studio and joined her and things were much better.

wabceyewitness likes this.
  15. AA55

AA55 AM Anchor

In agreement here.
    Turned to WNBC coverage which was infinitely stronger.

wabceyewitness and onthesea like this.
  16. JoseRM303

JoseRM303 News Director

17. Daybreak

Daybreak News Director

#1737 Daybreak, Dec 14, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    Spectrum27 and CircleSeven like this.
  18. Roadgeek Adam

Wasn't a coincidence. She posted on IG that she was moving out of her UWS walkup.

19. Amra

Amra News Director

Absolutely she will. But Corporate ain't a saint either. If upper management decided not to answer her questions of who would be her supervisor, it was a big signal that Camevil would continue to be her boss. That is, unless she is fired during vacation or ousted in a reshuffle.