1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Discussion in 'Station Chatter' started by Smitha A, Jan 1, 2012.

1. LarryFlick

LarryFlick Assignment Editor

Just caught a bit of her on FiOS1, and she was good. WAY better than the previous anchor. That said, man, they need to improve the lighting.

2. LarryFlick

LarryFlick Assignment Editor

I'm impressed that he is still willing to be a reporter after that kind of experience. Most would be wary of being out there in such a vulnerable way.

3. TellyGenic

TellyGenic Managing Editor

Cefaan's attacker will no doubt be arrested today. He was stupid enough to post the video on his own Instagram account!

4. nynewslover

nynewslover Primary Anchor

Typical.

5. RGSJenkins

RGSJenkins Managing Editor

6. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

I'm sorry but when you go up to someone you don't know to harass them. put your arm around their shoulder and order them to do something - you loose the right to act shocked when they push them off you.

I think some would have let it slide but the fact he was wearing a mask in my mind makes it more serious. Wearing a mask shows that it was planned and could have been ready for more.

Roadgeek Adam likes this.
  7. brianpr3

brianpr3 News Director

i wonder if the stupid gavone rememembers the WDBJ shooting? did he figure that reporters are leery at live shots? also who cares if you are black if a white kid did this he would be exposed to same scrutiny

Roadgeek Adam likes this.
  8. Roadgeek Adam

Roadgeek Adam Health Reporter

The fact that the Post found him makes me baffled to why the NYPD hasn't grabbed him already.

brianpr3 likes this.
  9. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

The offense is a simple battery.
    In NYC it's a simple desk summons, and that's only if the victim want's to file a complaint.
    Does anyone really think WABC want's him to pursue this any further.

Disclaimer: I am not licensed to practice law in the state of New York.

10. ShawnHill1

ShawnHill1 Weekend Anchor

I saw the thing live when it happened...they were real quick to cut to the video package.

I'm kinda surprised at this point, especially given what happened with WDBJ, plus every dumbass with a smartphone wanting to be a social media star, that some of these stations don't have a security guard accompany the reporters on live shots.

11. Eat News

The last time WABC had in-field security was during the 1998/1999 ABC lockout. Security cost money, and they also need transportation cuz you really don't want big fat bubba stinking up the live truck, and taking the jump seat.

And to be totally realistic...
    The cabbies and delivery drivers of NYC and most big cities put up with 10 times the bullshit that a TV reporter does.
    You don't see them asking for private security.

Lets face it...
    The WDBJ shooter would have NOT been stopped by an unarmed security guard. The guard would have been a victim also.

And let me save you all from the argument about un-armed security guards and TV stations....
    A station would NEVER assign an armed guard to a regular security detail for the fear that they would shoot someone.

LIABILITY my friends.

#1551 Eat News, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    rkolsen likes this.
  12. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

ABC lockout? What happened? I've never heard of such an incident. (I did find video shot by WCBS of an incident during the 1991 Crown Heights riots where the microwave mast snapped off a live truck.)

13. Eat News

Disney locked out all NABET/CWA union workers in the winter of 1998. All ABC O&O's
    It was a giant friggin, messy long labor dispute.

14. ShawnHill1

ShawnHill1 Weekend Anchor

I get your point, and I wouldn't use security for every live shot anyway. Believe me, I ride public transportation everyday...I've seen first-hand passengers get into fights with each other or with the bus drivers, and it's sometimes worse in my particular line of business (I work for a local government agency, for the record). And worse yet, I almost involved in an altercation last weekend while I was with a friend visiting a store...it almost got to the point where the friend almost went to jail. To say the least, it was one of the more hostile situations I've been involved maybe ever.

Eat News likes this.
  15. Roadgeek Adam

16. MetroCity

MetroCity Assignment Editor

WABC dealt with crew security concerns from the unions in the years right after 9/11. One of the agreements they came up with then, was that all Live shots after dark or before sunrise would require two photographers. That way, during the actual "live shot" one photographer could focus on being Live and the other could keep his eye on the surroundings. That eventually went away.

And the question about whether to pursue charges isn't WABC's decision. It's the reporter's, since he was the one assaulted. Whether it happened on company time or not is irrelevant. It was an assault on him as a person. It's happened before and in the past WABC has supported whatever decision the employee makes, including making all company resources available.

17. TellyGenic

TellyGenic Managing Editor

rkolsen likes this.
  18. brianpr3

brianpr3 News Director

Congrats to Shirleen

CircleSeven and LarryFlick like this.
  19. Roadgeek Adam

Much congrats to Shirleen! There was an office bet on what to name the child when she was born.

Second, kind of off topic, but ex-WABC anchor Greg Hurst is departing KHOU.

20. ns8401

ns8401 Station Group CEO