Viacom Inc. buys TV network in Argentina

Discussion in 'International News' started by onthesea, Nov 3, 2016.

1. onthesea

onthesea AM Anchor

The financial service Bloomberg has cleared up the rumors, and reports today that Telefe, the "most watched network in Argentina" have been bought by Viacom in $400m.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...buy-telefonica-s-telefe-for-about-400-million
    The first rumors began one month ago, but the press said that Telefe was bought by Turner, instead of Viacom.

As an Argentinian, I don't know what's going to happen after this. The current schedule of Telefe is filled with telenovela reruns, talk shows, tabloid news programmes, and sporting events. And to be sincere, I hate the programming; there's no space for culture or decent information, most of the lineup is filled with entertainment without quality.

2. YTownNewsGuy

YTownNewsGuy News Director

What's up with Viacom buying broadcast networks? First, they buy Channel 5 UK, now this? At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Viacom attempts to merge with CBS. Also, I wonder which international broadcast network Viacom will buy next.

#2 YTownNewsGuy, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

The last time a foreign company bought an Argentina TV network, it was the sale of Canal 9 Libertad to Australia's Prime Television in 1998. That was an adventure that was poorly timed, led to the sacking of Prime's CEO, and was aborted within a few years.