TVNewsTalk.net Server Updates - AUG 7 16

Discussion in 'General Messages from TVNewsTalk.net' started by Weeters, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

Hello, everyone!

There have been several software updates performed on the server that TVNewsTalk lives on. The biggest change involved with this is that TVNewsTalk is now served over SSL, meaning your connection to the site is now secured. The downfall of this change is that users accessing the site with Internet Explorer 6 or 8 on Windows XP will have trouble connecting. I expect that is a very, very small percentage of TVNT users.

If something seems amiss or you're having trouble doing something, please send me a message using the Private Message system or the contact form linked to in the footer.

-Weeters

2. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Weeters,
    Thanks for all your hard work in creating a nice place to collaborate, conspire, vent, or just hang out.

Thanks Again.
    Enjoy the rest of summer....eat some news.

ChesapeakeTV, memnews, tjt24 and 3 others like this.
  3. TriangleTriadMediaNews

TriangleTriadMediaNews Primary Anchor

The site has been running great lately, thanks for everything you do, we appreciate it! :)

ChesapeakeTV and memnews like this.
  4. NewsBuffy

NewsBuffy Banned

Weeters great job on being the best you are!

5. mardek1995

mardek1995 News Director

You know what would make this site even better, why not add on forums for the other 6 top 10 markets?

6. ns8401

ns8401 Station Group CEO

That would be awfully complex... Plus there isn't much discussion of Dallas on down on here...

7. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

I mean, it's been discussed, but I don't think anything was ever agreed upon. I think someone tossed out like making a general Texas section, or California, New England, etc. But then no one could decide on whether or not to dump the top market sections, and the idea just died.

8. mardek1995

mardek1995 News Director

I think there should be a new england section, a california section, and a texas section if not an individual section for all the top 10 markets and also the new york section should be encompassing all of new york not just nyc

9. Weeters

Administrator

At one point years ago I had plans to replace "General TV" with 5 or 6 regional boards that would have the existing market specific boards as subforums (New England would get New York, Southwest would get LA, etc)

I don't remember exactly why I didn't go through with it, but I think it had something to do about still needing a "general" board and fears this would just lead to more confusion about where to post things.

I'm still open to the idea if there's support for it.

10. mardek1995

mardek1995 News Director

I support it, as long as there's still a "General TV" board. What about the others?

11. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

Just FYI, New York isn't part of New England. :)

12. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

At least Top 10 markets would be good. I don't live in the Top 10 but one of my favorite markets is and it's Boston. I don't mind at all, as long as it's just the Top 10.

13. GroupWBZ

GroupWBZ Sports Producer

How flattering! As a resident of the market, what makes you like it so much?

14. Weeters

Administrator

Looking at my planning stuff from back then, it was supposed to be called the "Northeast" board. Actually they were to basically follow the US Census Bureau's regions.

It's unlikely the top 10 markets would get their own boards. IMO. there is barely enough discussion to warrant having a Los Angeles board, and that's market #2.

15. mardek1995

mardek1995 News Director

But there's a lot of discussion on Boston and Miami that they both warrant their own forums.

16. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

Probably channel 7...

17. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

I just love New England... period! It's a region I've always wanted to live and I always see myself as a Bostonian or somewhere in New England, as long as I'm living in the region. I'll be happy. I just think Boston is amazing.

18. GroupWBZ

GroupWBZ Sports Producer

That was my initial guess, but good to hear it goes beyond just TV.

scrabbleship likes this.
  19. mardek1995

mardek1995 News Director

I've managed to find the answer to my problem. It was actually the web browser I used. Specifcally, I've noticed that this site is actually faster on Microsoft edge than on firefox

newsfanatic likes this.