1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Today Show

Discussion in 'Network News' started by todayshowproducer, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mountainave

mountainave News Director

President Trump? Is that you?

2. panewswatcher69

panewswatcher69 Radio/TV Comm Grad

Live with Kelly and Ryan's Ryan Seacrest flew back and forth between New York and Los Angeles for three months during American Idol earlier this year. It looks like Ryan will do the same next year as well.

Eyewitness News-man and rkolsen like this.
  3. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group
    Forum Moderator

When you are getting paid over $5 million flying back and forth it shouldn’t be a big deal. Carson is only out the days The Voice is live - Monday and Tuesday. He take the red eye out for a Wednesday’s show. I’m sure if they wanted him to appear live they’d have him in the studios in LA.

During the live episodes of American Idol did Ryan Seacrest fly back and forth each night or a similar arrangement like Carson?

Edit: Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the commute Peter Alexander will have up to NYC.

First let me say this, I once asked a MSNBC contributor how they get to NYC after appear on Morning Joe and a show shortly after 1PM in NYC. They mostly fly up to JFK from DCA as it’s flight under 1 hour.

So for Peter I imagine he will do the same on Friday - attend a show production meeting via conference call, fly up in the afternoon, spend a night in the plushy hotel the guests stay at, do the show on Saturday and head back home around noon.

José Diaz-Balart likely does the same by flying out Noticiero Telemundo, and spend the days in production meetings, do NN and I’m not sure if he flys out Saturday night or Sunday.

#1143 rkolsen, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  4. panewswatcher69

panewswatcher69 Radio/TV Comm Grad

Instead of the Wednesday - Thursday schedule on FOX during previous seasons, American Idol was on a Sunday - Monday schedule on ABC this past season.

5. mrschimpf

mrschimpf News Director

And don't forget "Last Call”. They worked all of this out already years ago. Meanwhile, DCA-->JFK is no big deal at all. Peter may even just take in the Acela and not even bother with the flights. The route certainly isn't a buggy route by any means at all.

6. Chopper4

Chopper4 Assignment Editor

7. JacobC

JacobC AM Anchor

8. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist
    Forum Moderator

...in your opinion.

RJP, Eyewitness News-man and tjt24 like this.
  9. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

You can catch a "shuttle" (DC-NYC) every half hour, but it's still flying, and flying anywhere is a pain in the ass...even for network snooty's.
    So overly inflated ego's want the "private" company owned shuttle (ie:private jet) when they don't or can't make the regular shuttle.

Bop between DC and NYC daily or even a few times a week and it takes a toll on anyone. I sure as hell wouldn't do that trip nowadays, because flying anywhere is a giant pain in the ass. Even for the short hop to DC it still sucks worse when you get delayed and say to yourself...

"This flight used to take an hour before 9-11"

Take my advice...take the train.

#1149 Eat News, Oct 30, 2018
    mrschimpf and wabceyewitness like this.
  10. wabceyewitness

wabceyewitness Managing Editor

@Eat News is right — train from NYC to DC is cheaper, more comfortable and ends up getting you there in the same amount of time of flying once you factor in traveling to/from out of the way airports, security line, wait time to board, etc.

11. wabceyewitness

wabceyewitness Managing Editor

12. Georgie56

Georgie56 Happy Warrior

This. He does not scream “journalism” at all. Keep him on the 8am hour and GMA Day.

rkolsen likes this.
  13. USNewsie

USNewsie AM Anchor

And dump the studio audience in the 8 am hour too please.

14. Eyewitness News-man

Eyewitness News-man N.W.A: News-man With Attitude.

lol What do you want, a recount?

15. TVNewsJunkie15

TVNewsJunkie15 AM Anchor

It appears Meredith Vieira has now left the network, as we have not seen her on any NBC News shows (She did not even take any part in NBC coverage of the Winter Olympics this year like she done from 2010-20186, in well over a year now. The last time she appeared on TODAY Show was back in January 2017 I believe.

It kind of a shame really. She was a great asset for the show and the network. I wonder how the different the show could have been if she had stayed for 5 more years like NBC wanted her too. They may have been able to hold onto Number 1 (or the streak) for a little bit longer.

Savannah is fine I like her, but TODAY Show has not been the same since Meredith left. I do miss watching Matt, Meredith, Al and Ann some days. Their time together was too short.. they were a good team.

Katie and Meredith were the Good Old Days. The Show will never be that good again

#1155 TVNewsJunkie15, Oct 30, 2018
  16. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

She appeared recently promoting PBS’s Great American Read, and she’s done it in the past for the show. She may not be on the rolls anymore but she may be coming back - kind of like Jane Pauley did but not in a regular segment.

17. mountainave

mountainave News Director

She also appeared recently on The Talk as a panelist and criticized Megyn Kelly's blackface comments.

18. freelanceproducer

freelanceproducer Assignment Editor

Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

19. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

Norah O’Donnel splits her time and frequently posts her races to get to the Delta Shuttle to fly to DC with her kids in tow. Her husbands a successful resteraunteur who has three restaurants in the DC area and one at Dulles.

Eat News likes this.
  20. Chopper4

Chopper4 Assignment Editor