1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wish List

Discussion in 'Classic Video' started by Ntropolis, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Info Junkie

Info Junkie News Director

There’s plenty of KYW missing from the early 1980s until 1986. There’s only been some news briefs/promos so far on YouTube.

onthesea and Spectrum27 like this.
  2. panewswatcher69

panewswatcher69 Newsroom Intern

My list:

Pittsburgh -
    KDKA, WIIC turned into WPXI, WPGH, WTAE news opens/closes/promos from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s

Erie, PA
    WICU, WJET, WSEE
    Same time frame

Youngstown, OH
    WFMJ, WKBN, WYTV
    Same time frame

Cleveland
    WEWS, WJKW, WKYC

Johnstown/Altoona, PA
    WJAC, WTAJ

Recorded number of these on audio cassette tapes and after first VCR Christmas 1990, recorded video

Hard to find, rare, and see more of these again since born and raised in western PA

SNC - Satellite News Channel

onthesea likes this.
  3. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

Ignore the story but I'm looking for more WPBF videos like this from this era, right at the beginning of these videos. They're actually rare.

onthesea likes this.
  4. Info Junkie

Another one for ya - I would love to find a clean cut of Edd Kalehoff’s “Groove News” which was KNSD’s theme from the 90s. I’ve always loved the jazzy feel of that package and it certainly was one of Kalehoff’s best. Better yet, anything KNSD from 1988 to 1993 is a big gaping hole.

mposeymil, NCFLMedia and onthesea like this.
  5. Ntropolis

Ntropolis News Director

I have to add WBTW to my list. Other than the few 1991 clips I found and uploaded, there's barely anything from that station on Youtube from before 2000. phillyvideofan had a few clips on his channel before it was terminated (ca. 1993 with the Best of Two Worlds theme/open).

Maybe I need to take a thrifting trip down to Myrtle to find tapes!

onthesea likes this.
  6. Info Junkie

Building onto my Des Moines list, there’s now a supposed era of KCCI using a different open when they used the slogan “Be a Part Of It All”. If we do find an open, I’m speculating it’s the WRTV 1984 Theme (the promo shown here sounds a bit similar to WRTV’s theme).

The video description also says “the animated ending to this promo figured into the news opens.”

When I posted another KCCI promo with this theme on the classic vid thread, Loren Karr (the promo’s uploaded) said that there’s more coming, including WHO (!!!). Stay tuned.

7. Info Junkie

Hello, bumping the thread again to give Albany, New York, my hometown, a good thrashing (I actually did this in the Classic Vid Thread many moons ago, but thanks to scrabbleship I’ve heard of some Albany rarities):

WNYT: Jim (compubit) gave us some of my white whales already: The 1991-1994 “squares” package with The Hour and the “Prime News” era with the flying TV screens (1994-1997). However, we’re still missing the “We Know What Matters” era from 1988 (a news report from that era WAS on YouTube until it got deleted), anything early 80s pre-1986 is rare, and they also overhauled their 1997 opens in 2002 (scrabbleship said “unless you poke around the Internet Archive largely invisible”.) Their first gen-LA Groove opens used to be on TVARK.

WRGB: The earliest I’ve seen from them is the open on the Telesound demo with “Signature News”. I also want to see more from the ‘70s (when they had “And You”), their first open with “Making A Difference” and their later image with said package, during the mid ‘90s. Their “News In Focus” era used to be on TVARK until that site underwent issues, just like WNYT.

WTEN: Just like the other two, they are missing opens from the 1970s and early 80s (I wonder if they even had a “Hello” image campaign as the NMSA says they used Hello News), but there’s also a transitional period during the mid-2000s. It basically showed newer L3’s and fonts, but they still were using “Primetime News”. Scrabbleship told me they dumped Chris Clausen and replaced him with Chapin around this time too, unless they waited till debuting Momentum News in 2007. This era has been totally unseen aside from a report in 2006, where Primetime News can be heard for a brief second.

WXXA: Their Late 90s-Early 2000s material has been covered pretty much, but I’d like to see more of their later years with News Matrix. So far, only quick rejoins have been spotted. Their first era opens were of course, on TVARK.

Yes, there are still some holes missing in this market, as you can see.

Spectrum27 and onthesea like this.
  8. NewsStar2

NewsStar2 Good Night, Neighbor.

I can spot you on a couple of these. I was in Aroostook County for a couple of days in '05 and managed to get the morning, 5:30, 6 & 11 PM editions of WAGM's news when they were using the 2004 theme. I will have to find the tapes.

As for the WMTW stuff I can help on the Impact-era. I recorded newscasts from a couple of timeslots in 2003, and each timeslot in summer of '04. I think those are spread across several tapes as well. Any of the stuff from December 2003 that you can find on YouTube is what I've uploaded so far.

9. TServo2049

TServo2049 Reporter

Any footage of KTVU using Brave New World as their daytime/weekend theme in the mid-90s. I think a small sliver of an intro appeared in some other story, possibly with a reporter talking over it, but it was definitely the slower-tempo v.2 update (I first heard the full close on 80sTVThemes 20 years ago, ripped straight from the demo, I assume he chose that cut because he lived in the Bay Area during that time and knew what they were using).

UPDATE: Oops, I didn't realize there was a full 1993 noon newscast on YT already. NMSA says it ended in 1995, that must be when Michael Randall's morning and daytime alternate themes debuted. I was never aware, since I never saw the noon news (and didn't realize Frank Sommerville was anchoring at Channel 2 that far back)...

#49 TServo2049, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    onthesea and Spectrum27 like this.
  10. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

Let's see-- there's a lot of stuff I'd love to see:

Local
    • More of KRON from their "24 Hour News Service" era
    • More of pre-2002 WNYW (especially Fox 5 Live and its' convoluted history)
    • More of KCOP's Real News (which is pretty scarce)
    • NECN/UPN38 Prime News (both of which there aren't much of)
    • KSTP (from the mid 90s, and anything of their overnight/ANC combo newscasts)
    • More of CIVT when it was "VTV"/Vancouver Live (their theme was pretty awesome)
    National
    • More of Headline News from June 1999 to August 2001 (when they had the color-coded Watches, which was a pretty cool look and gimmick), it's pretty rare.

#50 Spectrum27, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Breaking News and onthesea like this.
  11. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

Oh, I forgot this: VERY early WNBC from 1980, when News 4 New York was in its' infancy-- they used a WTAE-style 4 (not sure why they changed it) and apparently there was a city skyline behind the Live at Five area instead of the monitors. You can see some clips of it in this early promo:

onthesea likes this.
  12. 8Viewer

8Viewer Chief Meteorologist

Cincinnati is a market with a real lack of pre 1982 footage. I have yet to see a video of Al Schottelkotte, despite, according to Guiness Book of World Records, at one point, being the highest rated local anchor in the nation.

WLWT is devoid of anything from the 1970's. I tried to track down some background from that era: The place was a revolving door in the late '70s/early '80s. In 1979, Steve Douglas departed after a 7 year stint as anchor. His replacement was Scott Osborne, who apparently quit in disgust after less than a year on the job. In 1980, they had the team of Rick Taylor and Clyde Gray anchoring the late news and Sheri Norton co-anchoring at 6 o'clock with Taylor. Then in '83, they paired Norma Rashid and newcomer Richard Hull together.

Starting in 1980, they used "The News" branding along with, according to an article, the same music used on WMAQ (NewsCenter theme?).

#52 8Viewer, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    onthesea, Spectrum27 and Info Junkie like this.
  13. jerseyfla

jerseyfla Investigative Reporter

Yes, WLWT used NewsCenter until 1983. There is one clip on YT that has an open from 1982 with it. I completely agree. There is a not a lot of Cincinnati TV News clips pre-1990, except maybe a bunch of Jerry Springer era WLWT opens. A lot of WKRC and WCPO is missing and they are the #1 and #2 of the market! It reminds me of Tampa.

onthesea likes this.
  14. kfc513

kfc513 Mafia Leader

Speaking of Cincinnati, here’s what news opens I wish would resurface:
    - WXIX’s opens between 1996-2005
    - WSTR during Sinclair’s “News Central” era

15. Info Junkie

Bumping this thread, the desire for WIVB during the mid 1990s is needable.

mposeymil and onthesea like this.
  16. AJClementeFan69

AJClementeFan69 Forum Contributor

Would love to see more from the mid-90s "Reporting to You" era with the custom theme. I still want to find out who the VO during that era was. He was heard on then-sister stations WTVO and WKBT along with WFRV during that era. Chime in on that thread if you know!

onthesea likes this.