The Hearst Thread

Discussion in 'Corporate Chat' started by aleckrohto, May 29, 2014.

1. onthesea

onthesea AM Anchor

That's why WCVB is one of the best TV stations in the US.

susquvalleywgal likes this.
  2. kdex86

kdex86 Assignment Editor

Really? I used to like this station. Now they're slowly becoming very tabloid-y like WHDH. Plus, their weather graphics are the worst of the 5 Boston local news stations.

And don't even get me started on their Facebook page. It has become the digital equivalent of a tabloid newspaper. Every other day they post a photo with an obnoxious-sized caption in capital yellow or white letters.

onthesea likes this.
  3. onthesea

onthesea AM Anchor

It continues to be a good station, but not as it was in the past (when Chet and Natalie ruled). I don't even know the faces or names of many of the reporters or meteorologists that work there now.

4. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

I've never seen them try to cut corners. I figured they would use the failing station waiver to acquire the station. I honestly would reject the case, although they might be accepted in the other waiver.

Interestingly, though, with the same interpretation - if rejected by the FCC - Sinclair would have to divest WGHP to keep its duopoly, or break up the WXLV/WMYV duopoly in separate directions, as there would only be 7 or 8 voices in the market.

5. NEOMatrix

NEOMatrix aka Raycom's God of Destruction

Honestly, WGHP is definitely more valuable than WXLV/WMYV combined. It will depend on how comfortable they are with the status quo in the Triad and the same goes for St. Louis between KTVI/KPLR and KDNL.

Back to WXII. Ever since WCWG entered into an agreement with WXII, Hearst has been pouring much needed resources into WCWG. I'd say the FCC should give it a go just on those grounds alone.

6. mrschimpf

mrschimpf Managing Editor

You gotta blame Hearst's partners like VUZ, CNN (the obnoxious Tabloola-pushing side of that site) and such on that; WISN is a completely sober station on-air, but if you were to go solely on its website and social presences you would think they were running the third coming of a A Current Affair out of Hearst's offices. Compared to the other Milwaukee stations, their Facebook has the worst commenters in the market, by far, and you can tell their on-air staff absolutely would love to do anything else than interact with them (which is why they all have separate personality pages they can control on their own). And it's the same no matter what Hearst station I run into (Twitter is fine; there it's easier to avoid the VUZ/CNN garbage).

Pretty much this. If you actually make an effort to improve the product rather than just plugging into the CW and trash talk show producers and calling it a day, you should be considered on these grounds.

#226 mrschimpf, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  7. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

Actually, I had to unfollow WMUR's Twitter account because it tweets so frequently and often only with links to "human interest" stories I had no interest in.

NewsMaster likes this.
  8. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

You do have a point there. It might have an excellent case for the failing station waiver as well.

televisionguy16 likes this.
  9. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

When did WVTM get the standard FX desk?

Originally when they were bought by Hearst and got the Diagrid they had the desk seen in this video:

https://youtu.be/U0pYT87ve

Now they have the one that was standard during the FX set in a box era:

EA54409F-7C57-43BD-9D9A-AD618FF96862.jpeg

I’m curious if this was a hand me down or if they ordered a desk from FX that hasn’t been made in ages.

10. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

WTAE replaced that style desk when they got their new set. They had that little railing behind the desk too.

So, if I had to guess...

rkolsen likes this.
  11. rkolsen

Wouldn’t surprise me. I think I mentioned this but when WDSU got their new studio they got robotic cameras (before they had maybe one and the rest just had PTZ heads). WDSU didn’t get new robotic cameras rather they got the discontinued SP-2000s.

It’s amazing how a company that seems to have a good reputation can be so cheap. I think there are still several that have yet to go HD. I was surprised that during the Hurricane Nate coverage WBAL took a shot from a WDSU skycam and it was in HD.

12. ProduceGuy

ProduceGuy Assignment Editor

Anyone know whether WVTM is still automated? I believe they used Ignite before being purchased by Hearst. If so, it may be the only Hearst station using automation.

13. rkolsen

I believe they de Ignited them along with WJCL. There were many job postings related to technical directing posted soon after the acquisition.

14. rkolsen

This is an odd header for WXII’s twitter account.

If recall they have a newsroom set.

Unless this was a “prototype”that was never used.

3F242357-BDEC-4E1F-B4C6-56EDDFA7F549.jpeg

15. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

It looks like the 2007 WESH HD-era set.

16. rkolsen

What kind of helicopter does WISN have? In a recent article it appears they have an R44 registered to MetroNetworks while some recent YouTube videos have a Bell JetRanger 206B registered to Helicopters Inc.

Here’s an image from OnMilwaulkee:

[​IMG]

And here’s one of many videos of the Bell 206 lifting off on WISN’s YouTube channel.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar AM Anchor

The tail number on the R44 shows pretty regular activity out of Hollywood, FL, so that must have been an old picture:
    https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8369F

18. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

...and a 206 would be considered an upgrade (major) in airship and hourly operating cost...and I don't know of any station "upgrading"...unless someone want's to mention KTNV...did it ever launch?

19. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

The Robinson got replaced with the 206B YEARS ago.

KTNV did indeed debut the chopper thay they had 3D renders of, but it was months after they started promoting it.

rkolsen and Eat News like this.