1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The difference between Telemundo 62, Univision 65 and UniMas Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by Anthony Buchanan, Mar 27, 2018.

?

Which 1 of the 3 Spanish-language TV stations in the Delaware Valley do you prefer to watch daily?

1. Telemundo 62

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Univision 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. UniMas Philadelphia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Anthony Buchanan

Anthony Buchanan Assignment Editor

Folks, can u please tell me about the difference between the Delaware Valley's 3 largest Spanish-language TV stations (Telemundo 62, Univision 65 and UniMas Philadelphia) in terms of ratings, viewership & the quality of programming?

2. Anthony Buchanan

It seems to me that Univision 65 isn't planning on expanding it's news output for the time being. Given the fact that its rival, Telemundo 62 began to expand it's news department with the launching of 2 daytime newscasts (morning, midday). But I was surprised that UniMas Philadelphia doesn't air any news at all! :(

3. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

UniMas is owned by Univision so if there isn’t news on the main channel why put it there? Now in some larger markets the morning news on Univision is expanded by an hour on UniMas.

4. Mrknowitall526

Mrknowitall526 Managing Editor

Don't forget that WFMZ has a Spanish newscast at 11 PM every night.

5. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

And at 6:30pm on Retro TV and WBPH-TV 60.

UniMas' local stations don't air news at all except for major markets that air morning news and air an extra hour on UniMas. Other than that, that's it. They're not really committed to expanding any further other than now doing Edicion Digital for select markets at 12:30pm on Univision.

Telemundo is really stepping up its game so don't be surprised if in a few years or so, they become the #1 source for local and national news across the board, across the country.

6. Anthony Buchanan

With Philadelphia being the country's 4th largest TV market, I should say that Univision should really step up on expanding Univision 65's output just for the sake of ratings, revenue share & heavy competition with Telemundo 62. However, with Televisa's proposed acquisition of the network (plus it's O&O TV/radio stations), it's highly unlikely at that stage! So we'll just have to wait what happens next!

Plus, Univision should be strongly encouraged to move WMGM's transmitter to the Roxborough section of Philadelphia or to buy WACP-TV (based in Atlantic City, NJ) so that the Spanish-speaking residents of Philadelphia should have a choice of 3 full-power Spanish-language TV stations. That will be a win-win for UniMas viewers throughout the Delaware Valley, who aren't able to receive/pick-up the signal of it's existing channel 28 (WFPA-CD) signal since it only covers the city of Philadelphia.

7. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

A part of it was required when Comcast bought NBCU and they’re still continuing it now (I believe) a lot of the requirements placed on them have ended - such as non profit; news and information; and independent programming reports.

Telemundo in some markets it’s outranking the English language stations in news and primetime in certain markets on some days or during the sweeps period. I believe WSCV and KVEA routinely win the viewer and demo during sweeps. I have also noticed some posts on Twitter or Instagram that on some nights in markets like Houston or San Francisco the primetime schedule outranked the English stations in the demo. Additionally they as a network have come in fourth place several days and had a decent streak (that may be continuing) beating Univision. I know Telemundo took out ads thanking viewers.

We should ask @Ramona as she is the expert in Spanish television.

8. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl

Telemundo's come-up this decade has been so huge. Comcast has invested not only in its languishing NBC local stations, but also its Telemundo stations.

I remember the first time I watched KTAZ, about 2010. They had partly unwound the consolidation of local news, but the Telemundo product was so second-rate. They had a bland static duratrans and one monitor that was on the right. Now, granted, KTAZ and Telemundo in Arizona were beyond second-fiddle for so long.

The relaunch of their news product since then has been stellar. KTAZ now produces better, better-looking newscasts than KTVW. Univision is stagnating. Sure, they've launched those Digital Editions at midday in some markets. But Univision — not just its local stations but really the entire company — is stagnating and rudderless (see: the lost IPO).

WWSI is a little different. It's new to the game. But it's backed by WCAU in a showplace market for NBCU.

Also, UniMás isn't used as an overflow for additional local news like Fox stations are in duopolies. It just doesn't work that way.

mrschimpf likes this.
  9. mrschimpf

mrschimpf News Director

Even in Milwaukee where Telemundo is affiliated with WYTU, the difference between their newscasts in ten years is night and day; the 2008 newscast pretty much was 'CBS 58's 10pm headlines with a Spanish translation, a couple of other stories stories, weather and off to the affiliate service for the rest of the show'. It's a lot more unique now with more local than national and plenty of resources; still not where I'd like it to be (a mid-evening newscast would really help), but at least Weigel and Telemundo are great partners in that market, along with Rockford and South Bend

Meanwhile, Univision had a big red acquisition target they could have for cheap in WIWN. Tower was built out; all they had to do is walk in the door and buy the station from Pappas. Instead they let it go and seem to be content with Spectrum grabbing all their revenue in a growing market such as Milwaukee through the cable feed. Univision is getting to the state where TBN is right now; they have a lot of stations, but too much debt to do much more than go through the motions or making stupid moves (Univision with the puzzling Gawker deal and whatever Fusion is now, compared to TBN's Hillsong deal and out-of-format Mike Huckabee talk show).

10. Anthony Buchanan

What I do also know is that WUVP is being simulcast on WMGM's DT3 subchannel & that Univision might be trying to apply for must-carry rights for WMGM so that all pay-TV providers in the Delaware Valley could be able to carry WMGM for the 2nd time in a row because when WMGM was owned by Access.1, it used to be carried throughout the Delaware Valley via satellite TV providers until 2011. That's when WCAU wanted to gain exclusivity rights as the Delaware Valley's NBC affiliate.

So my viewpoint is that WMGM is currently carrying Justice Network on it's main/DT1 subchannel as a way for Univision to expand its potential viewership base & to apply for WMGM's must-carry rights.

11. Anthony Buchanan

I would say that if WMGM gets carried by at least some pay-TV providers (Service Electric, DirecTV, Dish Network) in the Delaware Valley, then Univision should also take over WFPA-CD's existing must-carry carriage on Verizon Fios & Xfinity so that it can be utilized for WMGM getting enough carriage throughout the Delaware Valley. That way, Spanish-speaking viewers in the Delaware Valley could be able to watch UniMas Philadelphia on cable/satellite by 2019, in addition to it's over-the-air signal (if its gets improved by either late 2018 or early 2019).

12. Anthony Buchanan

I should really say that if Univision moves WMGM's transmitter to Roxborough, then it would result in many changes.

1. TBN would have to change WGTW's city-of-license back to Burlington, NJ
    2. WGTW would be able to regain its over-the-air coverage throughout the Delaware Valley.
    3. WFPA-CD would likely sell off it's spectrum & to channel share with both WMGM & WGTW
    4. WFPA-CD would likely become a full-power station by changing its over-the-air virtual channel position from channel 28 to I'll say, channel 53 or channel 55 & by having Univision selling WFPA-CD's licence to either WHYY, WYBE or Daystar at an undisclosed price.
    5. WMGM would now be able to gain "must-carry" status by having all pay-TV providers in the Delaware Valley being ordered to carry the station.

13. Anthony Buchanan

Yep, U got that right! BTW, I should think & say that Telemundo 62 is apparently the Delaware Valley's highest-rated, Spanish-language TV station because more & more Hispanics do prefer to watch their favorite telenovelas as well as more local news! I do hope that Telemundo 62 should start launching it's weekend newscasts so that Hispanics won't have to wait until Monday to get their local news!

As for Univision 65, it has the lowest amount of its local news output (6pm, 11pm) & as a result, it might sink into 2nd place!

14. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

Probably third... Remember, WFMZ does 6:30 and 11pm news in Spanish.

15. Anthony Buchanan

Well, I should say that there's now competition between the Delaware Valley's 2 Spanish-language TV stations (and to a lesser extant, WFMZ) with competing Spanish-language newscasts that airs at 6pm & 11pm each weeknight. BTW, I should really predict that if Telemundo 62's 2 daytime newscasts (morning, noon) becomes successful, then either Univision 65 or WFMZ might stepped up to the plate by launching their own daytime newscasts.