1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by HulkieD, Oct 28, 2013.

1. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

Find their YouTube page (I don't have it in front of me). It's so much easier to rifle through those and you should get an answer.

2. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

Sharrie & Brian did the 4PM. I didn't see the 5PM, but it looks like Monica & Brian did that show.

TVNewsLover likes this.
  3. Vincent

Vincent Assignment Editor

From what I read in the tv listings, Action News is launching a 5pm Saturday newscast this Saturday, which was expected after the college football season(technically not over - conference championship week counts as regular season games). Are they going to have Walter and Sarah co anchor(as they have for Sunday newscasts since Rob Jennings retired 4 years ago after 36 years as weekend anchor) or is Walter anchoring solo, or are they going to have some else co anchor with Walter?

onthesea likes this.
  4. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

I don't need to report on this on my blog because this was expected. I said that once the college football season is over, WPVI will have 5pm news on Saturdays as well. Alas, 5pm weekend news has arrived in the Delaware Valley.

5. Vincent

Is it necessary to have 5pm weekend news ? Isnt this overkill?

Also is Sarah co anchoring with Walter on the new Saturday news?

onthesea likes this.
  6. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

I have a feeling Walter will go at it solo. He does the 10pm solo on Saturdays. I guess they could theoretically have Nydia (who co-anchors weekend mornings) stick around too. But they should just put Sarah on full time on weekend evenings. So it's not seen as a demotion, she should be the main fill-in for Monica and Sharrie when one is off. For the time being, Monica can add the noon show to her co-anchor duties. If Fox does purchase WPHL, I believe that Action News at 10 on PHL17 is not for long, and would free up Sharrie, Brian, and Adam for noon as well.

7. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

WSVN and WPLG do it.
    WOFL and WOGX do it.
    Stations on the west coast do it.
    Even WABC, WCVB and WMUR do it.

So... yeah, considering how much busier lives are all getting.

Spectrum27 likes this.
  8. cna247

cna247 Newsroom Intern

Not sure where you saw this but not only did they not debut a 5pm Saturday newscast this past Saturday, but they have other programming the next two Saturdays.

9. Vincent

I saw this in the tv week publication in the Bucks County Courier Times, obviously this publication wasn't accurate.

10. Vincent

Next Saturday 6abc is airing the Las Vegas Bowl, eventually they will add a Saturday 5pm newscast counterpart to the Sunday 5pm news

11. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Still no sign of Saturday 5pm for next few Saturdays. Also, I think tonight may be the first time Jeanette Reyes has filled in at the anchor desk.

12. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

Jeannette's anchored weekday and weekend mornings. This is the first time I've seen her on an evening newscast.

13. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Given how wpvi is so dominant I was wondering how in the days of analog broadcasting their audio feed on 87.75FM rated? Would it be rated at all?

14. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Some interesting fill-ins. Walter was in Christmas night for Jim (odd since Jim is Jewish) along with Chris in at weather for Cecily. Today Jeanette was in for Matt in the morning and she and Tamela are both in for Rick and Sarah at noon.

15. Mrknowitall526

Mrknowitall526 Managing Editor

WOW I don't think I've ever seen Chris do anything except weekend mornings! Always thought it was a shame, because I really like his forecasts.

16. mrschimpf

mrschimpf News Director

As a television station they probably didn't subscribe to Arbitron (I know WITI promoted their 87.7 availability but they never showed up in a radio ratings rundown). I know WRME-LP in Chicago does to Nielsen Audio so it's possible, but until the 2000's it was just considered a radio dial quirk and not a viable business plan.

17. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

Gray Hall returned to 6ABC today.

18. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

A bit confused. Friday night on the 11pm news at the close Jim said make sure you join Gray Hall and Chris Sowers (with a pic of both of them) on Action News Saturday morning. But Alicia was on co-anchoring with Gray Saturday morning. I always thought Nydia was the weekend morning co-anchor. Does she only do Sundays? And is Saturday typically solo anchored?

19. Eyewitness News-man

Eyewitness News-man N.W.A: News-man With Attitude.

First: Yes, Nydia is a weekend co-anchor, only on Sundays.
    Second: Yes, Gray usually anchors Saturday solo.
    I can't answer for why Alicia was in studio when he returned-- I didn't watch; maybe to help settle him back into the grind.

20. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Odd that Alicia is co-anchoring with Rick at noon. Rick usually anchors solo if Sarah is off.