The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by HulkieD, Oct 28, 2013.

1. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

It probably debuted on Saturdays too but will wait until the college football season is over for it to debut on Saturdays as well.

2. Mrknowitall526

Mrknowitall526 Managing Editor

How odd. Is 1.5 hours of news on Sunday night really necessary? I suppose it's probably cheaper than syndicated shows.

Doesn't the network usually air sports things at that time?

CircleSeven likes this.
  3. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Not sure. But they are not the first to do this. WABC debuted this two years ago.

4. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

Besides College Football and the NBA, ABC don't carry alot of live sports events these days. Whenever sporting events roll after 5pm, the news would be pre-empted. I remember WABC started the new weekend 5pm after ABC cancelled ESPN Sports Saturday.

But I do think that these endless hours of news is unnecessary, especially when its hardly any viewership that early on the weekends.

5. PlaidWx

PlaidWx Plaid Weatherman

That's interesting. I thought it was just special coverage for Hurricane Irma. Is it really necessary to have a 5pm broadcast on a Sunday? Didn't think that many people watched during the weekend

6. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

WPLG does it, WSVN does it, WABC does it, most stations in the west coast do it. So... yeah.

PlaidWx likes this.
  7. mrschimpf

mrschimpf Managing Editor

Do you want that advertising money and viewers going to your own station with up-to-date content, or for those viewers to scoff as you run Byron Allen barter junket product that's free to run but makes you look no better than Logo running Golden Girls reruns as an alternative viewing option to the NFL?

Even in the Central Time Zone I'm seeing more and more stations looking for more current content in that dead zone; some stations re-run their local public affairs stuff for awake audiences rather than what the syndication industry insultingly calls their 'original weekend content'.

PlaidWx and Eat News like this.
  8. HulkieD

HulkieD COUNT ON IT

Plus I should mention that WPVI's new 5pm weekend newscasts are replacing paid programming, which is another weekend programming option. Better to get that ad money flowing on the weekends.

Spectrum27 and mrschimpf like this.
  9. Eyewitness News-man

Eyewitness News-man N.W.A: News-man With Attitude.

Even I'd rather watch Golden Girls reruns than that (and this is from the guy originally named ActionNewsLove). But I think as long as they get more out of this, I'm cool with it.

10. cna247

cna247 Newsroom Intern

You would prefer Golden Girls.

By the way, just a reminder in case you forgot (I haven't after you unceremoniously had a hissy fit with me and flipped out), you don't like it when your former username is revealed so it might be a good idea not to mention it again.

11. Eyewitness News-man

Eyewitness News-man N.W.A: News-man With Attitude.

Sure why not? I'll give you the satisfaction cause I brought it up this time.