The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by Mrknowitall526, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Mrknowitall526

Mrknowitall526 Primary Anchor

According to LinkedIn, Hilary Lane now is at WUSA-TV. Good for her, but it's a shame because she was really good.

2. LVForward

LVForward Health Reporter

Still don't know about Bryan - but Wendy just used the words "Sports Director Dan Moscaritolo." Additionally, the website has been updated to reflect Dan's promotion. CONGRATS DAN!!!!

3. Mrknowitall526

Good for him! Yeah, I wonder what happened to Bryan ... so odd!

4. Mrknowitall526

WFMZ is now showing first-run episodes of "Harry" at 9am and also Rachel Ray at 3pm. They are the current day's shows and NOT a few days behind like Dr. Phil is. Rachel Ray actually really surprises me - she's got a pretty successful show. And to show at 3pm is a good time slot. Makes me wonder how many other national big shows WFMZ could afford.

5. LVForward

TVSpy reports ...
    Kansas City Station Hires Weekend Co-Anchor
    By Kevin Eck on Sep. 30, 2016 - 11:54 AM

[​IMG]
    Keleigh Gibbs has been hired by Kansas City ABC affiliate KMBC as a weekend co-anchor.

Gibbs comes from WFMZ in Allentown, Pa. where she was a reporter.

“I already feel so incredibly welcome here in Kansas City,” said Gibbs. “I’m excited and grateful to be back in the Midwest contributing to the outstanding journalistic legacy of KMBC 9 News.”

Before working at WFMZ, Gibbs worked at TouchVision in Chicago. She’s also worked at WXMI in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

6. Mrknowitall526

I've seen a few new faces lately so I'd wondered who left.

I hate that we get this "good talent" and then they leave! But I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

7. Mrknowitall526

They debuted "Quadcopter 69" on the news this morning and also just now on the news at 5. A drone operated by Lehigh Valley Drones. They flew it live over Route 22. The operator said he worked with news helicopters in DC and has been interested in broadcasting since then. It sounded like he actually approached WFMZ about it, citing a lack of news helicopter in the Valley.

I think it's great, it was a neat shot to see aerial views of 22 @ Airport Road, something we don't see often around here! I wonder how often and what they will use it for.

8. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

Quadcopter 69? That sounds pretty badass for a drone. I could see it getting usage, given WFMZ could never get a helicopter unless it was bought out by Hearst (which had a love affair with copters back in the late 90s/early 2000s while on their buying/merging spree).

9. Mrknowitall526

I know, right (on the name) ?!

Here's a link to the article about it: http://www.wfmz.com/news/sunrise/69-news-unveils-traffic-drone-quadcopter-69/41929868

10. Sam Horn

Sam Horn Managing Editor

This is typical of WFMZ -- they've always been first to find creative ways to do the news on a small budget, and then the larger operations start doing the same. I wouldn't be surprised to see bigger-market stations supplement their choppers with drones or replace them entirely in the coming months/years.

11. Mrknowitall526

12. CameraEyes

CameraEyes Assignment Editor

Just moved to the Philly area and caught this station on satellite. It is a fairly respectable news station that seems to serve the rural part of the Philadelphia market. Very much like their 10pm news team.

13. Mrknowitall526

They just aired 10 minutes of a loop of various religious programming commercials, then Wendy & Rob abruptly came on - no open or anything - and said they had some "technical issues" then 10 seconds later threw it to Ed for the weather.

This happens far too often.

14. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

It could have been worse.
    http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/10/24/charlotte-station-cancels-newscast

15. LVForward

I didn't get to see it tonight...the important question is - even after 10 minutes of religious commercials were they still able to fit in Mr. Dean or Rev. Barnhouse's commentary - we wouldn't want to miss that?

16. Mrknowitall526

LOL I don't remember if they did or not ... but they didn't even try to shorten it. It still ran about the same time even though it started around 10:15, then the Berks Edition was also delayed.

17. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

I just saw a commercial for a WFMZ 40th anniversary special to air on Thanksgiving (11/24) at 6:30 PM.

18. LVForward

They have been showing a preview during news programming yesterday and today. It will be fun to see how far they have come in 40 years - from the early days of Newspulse, not to mention 40 years of Kathy Craine; plus some "Where are they now?" on past on-air talent.

19. scranton

scranton Honestly doesn't care.

The third largest metropolitan area in Pennsylvania is hardly rural, with a regional population of 820k+.

Sam Horn likes this.
  20. Sam Horn

Sam Horn Managing Editor

Which doesn't include Reading and Berks County, which increases 69's target sub-market to 1.2 million. There's some rural parts, sure. But this is a significant chunk of the Philly DMA. Considering the Glendive DMA exists (and that Baltimore and Washington and all the Southern New England DMAs are packed in so tightly), it's a wonder that the Lehigh Valley and Berks County never got spun off into a DMA of their own.

ETA: And of the New York DMA -- western New Jersey (mainly Warren County) is also super-served by 69.