1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by Mrknowitall526, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Mrknowitall526

Mrknowitall526 Managing Editor

Bob-F likes this.
  2. LVForward

LVForward AM Anchor

Anyone know what happened to Bryan Salmond, WFMZ's new Sports Director? He seems to be MIA. His bio is gone from the website as well. I may have just missed his departure if it was over the holiday weekend...or maybe he is just hanging out with Rick Edwards.

SF1964 likes this.
  3. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

I haven't heard anything. His twitter account doesn't mention anything. I did notice he wasn't on the LV Iron Pigs broadcast on Saturday. Maybe he's just on vacation.

Not related to Bryan or sports, but I did notice two new reporters this week---Jim Vasil and Alexandra Hogan.

4. Mrknowitall526

Was his bio ever up there? I tried looking once and I couldn't find it. The way their talent comes and goes, it's probably hard to keep that updated!

5. LVForward

LVForward AM Anchor

Jim & Alexandra seem like good additions so far. Which probably means they won't be here long.

6. LVForward

LVForward AM Anchor

Although his personal twitter is current - his WFMZ facebook page hasn't been updated since June 19th and the link to his bio from there goes to a "page not found".

7. Mrknowitall526

I'm surprised that Jamie Stover and Hillary Lane are still around - they are some of the best reporters currently. Although I think Hillary Lane is from the area, so this might be where she wants to be.

8. Bob-F

Bob-F Newsroom Intern

I don't have any confirms on this, but would venture to guess that something suddenly opened up in Salmond's previous venue, Boston, and that 69 was left holding a bag. Looks like they'll try to fudge something through till, say, August 1st?

9. cool245

cool245 Assignment Editor

10. Mrknowitall526

Hm ... strange! Just found his Twitter page and he has been tweeting, but nothing about the station.

11. Bob-F

Bob-F Newsroom Intern

I found it a few hours before Mrknowitall526 did...

He was reporting on UFC200, but for all we know it was probably from a local bar...

12. Mrknowitall526

FMZ has 3 people at the RNC in Cleveland -- seems a little overkill to me? Wendy Davis being one of them.

It's strange -- when either Rob or Wendy are off, it's just solo with the other. But right now, Rob is off and Wendy is at the RNC, so Jim & Joy did all the newscasts this afternoon, and also tonight. Why can't one of them fill in for Rob or Wendy on a regular basis?? Their substitute policies make no sense! I really hate when Eve or Jaciel anchor a 4 hour morning newscast by themselves.

EDIT: Wendy scored an interview with Dan Rather. That's interesting.

13. Newstudent

Newstudent Health Reporter

Possibly they have 3 there in Cleveland becuase when they have 3 reporters in philly it wont seem like they are favoring one convention over another.

LVForward likes this.
  14. LVForward

LVForward AM Anchor

The Philly stations haven't even sent that much talent to the RNC. Yes, they have network coverage to supplement - where WFMZ is independent, but WFMZ has CNN Newsource.

I always wondered if it was a contractual thing (or just an ego thing) that Rob & Wendy only anchor their broadcasts with each other or solo. The only time I can remember seeing them with anyone else was when they fill-in @ 4pm, or during extended snowstorm coverage. I agree about Sunrise as well, 4 hours is much too long to be alone at the desk.

PS - Day 14 since I noticed Bryan Salmond being MIA. As far as I know there still has been no mention made on-air. This could be a great "Ask the Anchors" question for the Sunrise team "not-to-answer" (like the Rick Edwards question was.)

15. WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10 Troglodyte Homunculus

Actually WCAU has two anchors and a reporter at the RNC.

16. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

WPVI has 2 there, too, right?

17. Eyewitness News-man

Eyewitness News-man N.W.A: News-man With Attitude.

Yep; Jim Gardner and Sarah Bloomquist (both anchors) are its sent reporters.

18. PAnderson1

PAnderson1 AM Anchor

KYW sent Jessica Dean, and former aide to George W. Bush Alison Young to Cleveland, as well as having Ed Rendell in studio as an analyst during the 11pm news.

darkridedan likes this.
  19. LVForward

LVForward AM Anchor

Not sure here - is Alison Young a KYW reporter - she is not on the website? ...and technically isn't Ed Rendell a MSNBC Political Contributor? So, they really only have 1 in Cleveland.

20. PAnderson1

PAnderson1 AM Anchor

No, Alison's not a KYW reporter, and I'm sure KYW has their connections to Rendell in addition to the MSNBC responsibilities.