The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by Mrknowitall526, Sep 7, 2014.

1. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

So if you were the ND or GM and had the job to put the news teams together, who would you choose for what? Btw, what about Kathy Craine? you missed her on that list.

2. Mrknowitall526

Mrknowitall526 Primary Anchor

I find her presence on the news laughable - my family and I often say that we don't understand why she is allowed to still be on the newscast, aside from the fact that she's been with the station since its inception (and before then, in its radio days!). The things she says, and her choice of outfits, are just beyond words.

I suppose these issues you brought up (many of which were dead-on IMO) are because of a lack of competition - there are literally no other option for super-local LV news aside from the cable news channels (Service Electric and RCN - I'm not even sure if either of them still have a news product? Blue Ridge TV 13 does - and it's actually really good in terms of being hyper-local - but it is mostly in the Poconos and reaches only the northern fringes of Berks/Lehigh/Northampton counties at best).

#102 Mrknowitall526, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  3. Mrknowitall526

Just saw Dan Skeldon do the weather on the 10pm show. A quick Google and it looks like he was on NBC40 in Atlantic City before it shut down last year. He was really good! Wonder who he is replacing??

4. LVForward

LVForward Health Reporter

Dan has filled in on the weekends before. I think he is just freelancing - he has a regular gig at The Press of Atlantic City.

5. LVForward

Did anyone else find the Rob Vaughn / Melanie Falcon pairing earlier in the week really awkward? If you are going to have a broadcast geared at a younger, more laid-back feel you can't have the elder statesman fill-in, especially for his own son. I know it's the holidays but it just seemed rough. Imagine Jim Gardner on WPVI's 6 at 4 show with Alicia Vittarelli - awkward. I would love to see Chandi Lowry fill-in for Wendy Davis though - Chandi and Rob could be good together.

6. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

There were some odd pairings. On Christmas Eve, Bolt filled in at 4 alongside Melanie. Then he soloed from 5pm on. I don't understand why they need TWO anchors at 4, but one is enough for 5&10.

7. LVForward

Found this news interesting... WFMZ is buying KJWP (the relatively new Me-TV affiliate in Wilmington, DE). KJWP is our source for Me-TV in the Lehigh Valley as well as Grit, Escape and Justice. I wonder how the two operations will operate / co-exist. Will they share resources? Will the mighty 69 News team coverage area expand into Delaware? Will we see KJWP's married news duo of "the" Larry Mendte and Dawn Stensland-Mendte up on South Mountain in the 69 News room...ohh, the possibilities??? How about a commentary pairing of Dick Dean and Larry Mendte - whose head explodes first. WOW!! things could be getting good!!!

8. Mrknowitall526

Wow, that is so random. I really hope they don't create a Delaware newscast. I'd like to see them cover the LV proper more in depth rather than go down to DE.

9. LVForward

Looks like KJWP utilizes a partnership with The News-Journal newspaper/ Delaware Online for their news breaks - no full broadcasts as far as I can tell. Other than Larry Mendte's two half hour, weekly shows ("The Delaware Way" and "Another Thing".) I know some here have been critical of my opinions of WFMZ commentary - but Dick Dean and Larry Mendte together sounds better than anything Bobby Gunther-Walsh, Ron Angle, Tony Ianelli or Daylon Leach could possible deliver around our valley. Just the thought of Larry Mendte (after all that happened at KYW) working for faith-based Maranatha Broadcasting is amazing. Mr. Mendte meet the Family Minded Zone. BOOM!!!

10. LVForward

The Morning Call story about WFMZ purchase of KJWP

Attached Files:

11. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

Sportscaster Troy Hein announced via twitter that he's leaving WFMZ next week to work for the CBS affiliate in Waco, TX.

12. Mrknowitall526

Holy cow!!!! He is a high school sports institution in the Valley. I'm really shocked!

13. Mrknowitall526

Nice send off for Troy Hein tonight. Big shoes to fill!

14. LVForward

15. NewsJersey1

NewsJersey1 Assignment Editor

Nice set. Nothing special. Odd they just use it at noon. Why the cheesy graphics?

16. LVForward

The PPL Center studio is located in Downtown Allentown and operated remotely from the main control room at WFMZ's broadcast facilities on top of South Mountain. Literally, the only people in the PPL studio are the on-air talent. As for the "cheesy graphics" they are not seen unless you are on Center Square looking in the windows - only the lower half of the screens appear on air. Additionally, they not only use the studio for the noon broadcast daily but it is used during tie-in's to special events at the PPL Center (our new 10,000 seat arena). Hope that fills in some details.

Mrknowitall526 likes this.
  17. NewsJersey1

NewsJersey1 Assignment Editor

That makes more sense. The article didn't do the set justice.

18. LVForward

Look who it is on the brand new KWTX news set....

[​IMG]

We miss you, Troy.

19. Mrknowitall526

I miss him also! The new guy is starting to grow on me ... but he is almost TOO excited.

20. LVForward