The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by Mrknowitall526, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Mrknowitall526

Mrknowitall526 Primary Anchor

The owners are very religious (name is "Marantha Broadcasting Company" which if you don't know is a rough translation of "Come, O Lord") so I bet that might dictate some of what they air. On the weekends they definitely air a lot of religious shows.

At 8 PM every night they show Dr. Phil, and 9 PM Steve Harvey. But the Dr. Phil episode they air at 8 PM is from the previous day, almost like it's a 2nd run?? Possibly because a Philly station also airs Dr. Phil? And this week's Steve Harvey episodes (just checked) are from 2 weeks ago. Odd.

I often thought it would be a neat idea for them to branch out into original, local programming - like LOCAL dramas or comedies, starring local people, about local things. I think it would be interesting, especially since there are so many artsy-type programs (at Muhlenburg College or Moravian College, for instance). Probably expensive though.

2. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

They have Steve Harvey from 2 weeks ago because WCAU 10 carries the first-run episodes. I think KYW 3 carries first-run of Dr. Phil, but I might be wrong.

3. Mrknowitall526

I've had some time off this week, and find it really irritating that at least 3 times this week they have aired the exact same packaged report on a story that aired at 10 pm the night before, at noon the next day. They must feel that their respective audiences are too mutually exclusive to notice/care.

4. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

It definitely appears that second run episodes on WFMZ are two weeks delayed after checking the original air date. I've wondered in the past why the episodes WBAL airs at 3AM are not the prior days and you helped me make the connection. It appears this is the case at most of the NBC stations that carry first run episodes of the show (including WCAU) air these second run episodes at 3AM.

Would WCAU's second run overnights infringe on WFMZ's "exclusivity" or do second runs not include this protection? I assume the 3AM viewing brings in so little in viewership that WFMZ simply does not care or has no legal standing combined with the fact that Steve Harvey is distributed by NBCUniversal.

It appears that NBCUniversal TV Distribution requires / urges many stations that air first run episodes to air the second run episodes as well on either their main channel or a duopoly when they can. One example is WFTV's first run at 9 AM and WRDQ's second run at 9 PM.

5. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

6. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Rob & Wendy filled in for Jim & Melanie today at 4pm.

7. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

Melanie had her baby earlier this week and I guess Jim's on vacation. Meghan Packer had also anchored at 4 this week.

8. Mrknowitall526

They did a couple of days ago, too. Wendy was off yesterday.

9. Mrknowitall526

Only in Allentown does an anchor have to do a 4-hour morning show solo for 5 days. Eve has been off since last Wednesday and Jaciel has gone solo from 5-9AM!

10. SF1964

SF1964 AM Anchor

I think I saw Jamie Stover anchoring with Jaciel a few of those days. I did not see her this morning, though.

11. Mrknowitall526

Oh, good for her! I missed that

12. Mrknowitall526

Will Butler is filling in for Jaciel at noon today - not sure if he was on in the morning or not. I think he is okay, but could be better ... he doesn't seem to speak with a "flow" but rather you can tell he is reading one word at time...if that makes any sense!

13. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

Don't you mean Will Lewis- he was the reporter at my school a few months back.

14. Mrknowitall526

Woops! Yes ... there used to be a Will Butler on 69 a few years ago!

15. Mrknowitall526

They seem to be experimenting with fill-in anchors. In the past several weeks I've seen Will Lewis, Ryan Hughes, and just this past week Jamie Stover and today Rosa Duarte. I guess maybe they're just still short staffed since Melanie Falcon is still out on maternity leave...

16. cool245

cool245 Assignment Editor

They have a new women Jacqueline Thomas doing the traffic reports in the mornings. She is also a meteorologist and does morning weather reports for the Accuweather Channel. In a first for WFMZ, she is doing them in front of the green screen. Jeff Bolden still does the traffic reports in the afternoon from the traffic center upstairs. I still find it a little strange that Rick Edwards didn't have any kind of farewell from WFMZ after being there almost 10 years. They always let viewers know when someone is leaving even if it is just a post on Facebook on their last day. He just disappeared and it wasn't even mentioned that he left until last month during an ask the anchors segment where it was said he was no longer at the station. Just a quick mention and they quickly moved to something else.

17. Mrknowitall526

Wow, had no idea Rick Edwards was gone! My mother mentioned that there was a new traffic reporter and they were struggling a bit on Monday.

Matt Broderick has been absent from the noon show lately, periodically.

18. cool245

cool245 Assignment Editor

Monday was her first day so that might explain it. She is pretty decent though for it being her first week. She just needs to use the camera feeds more. Most of the time her reports just consists of the traffic flow maps and drive times.

19. Mrknowitall526

Steve Mittman is the new AM traffic reporter (if you don't know, he used to be on WAEB radio in Allentown), and Jeff Bolden seems to be back to doing PM traffic (he did traffic on WFMZ years ago ... probably at least 10). Still can't believe they said nothing about Rick Edwards leaving.

I also just noticed that Amanda Cox has moved to Charlotte, NC. It's a shame, I liked her. Ed Hanna posted that Jacqueline Thomas is taking over for her.

20. LVForward

LVForward Health Reporter

Just curious if anyone knew why WFMZ stopped using the ppl center studio for 69 News at Noon.