TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

Discussion in 'Corporate Chat' started by ABC 7 Denver, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ABC 7 Denver

ABC 7 Denver News Music Connoisseur

Gannett stations are rolling out a new website design: See the test market at WBIR: http://www.wbir.com

2. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Managing Editor

So they can look exactly like the USA Today and Gannett's local newspaper websites. Great! *sarcasm*

3. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Wow. Comparing this to the current sites azcentral.com (Arizona Republic + KPNX) would have a very hard time switching to this layout. It's Gannett's only newspaper-TV duopoly IIRC.

4. sanewsguy

sanewsguy TV Viewer

Looks great! Better than a lot of the newer websites being developed. (not sarcasm)

5. ABC 7 Denver

In Fort Collins. Colorado Gannett owns the Coloradoan which falls under the same market as KUSA.

6. Breaking News

Breaking News News Director

Personally it ok for USA Today web layout to look like that, but for Gannett they should have at least (2/3) different layouts for their station region by region. However when they fully takeover Belo Stations {which btw has one of the best web layouts in any tv group} just can't image WFAA- Belo flagship station website looking dull and boring.

7. mike91

mike91 Primary Anchor

It's decent. It sure as hell beats any of the shit that Sinclair or Nexstar have.

8. ColumbusNewsFan

ColumbusNewsFan Primary Anchor

So they are just switching their station sites to the USA Today web format. Hmm. I get the idea why to do it as USA Today's site is clean but It will take getting used to it in a major way for a TV website.

9. TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews Primary Anchor

Well here in Dallas, we're going to have to get used to the change on WFAA website in the near future, because once the FCC approves the merger and deal finalized... expect the change.

10. sanewsguy

sanewsguy TV Viewer

this would actually be an improvement over what WFAA and the rest of the Belo stations have right now. This looks clean, the Belo sites I never really got used to, they're just too cluttered IMO.

11. ABC 7 Denver

I don't like the site. It's a cluttered mess. They have overwhelmed this new site with too many photos. I don't like the blue box to the left and the dark gray 'Right Now' column to the right is nice, but A. Needs to be lighter and B. Needs a fine separation from the main column.

I think that Gannett could have modified the menu of the current site to do the exact same thing! The current design is cleaner.

12. Viper550

Viper550 News Director

Well, at least they dumped that unneeded "A GANNETT COMPANY" tag from all the logos.

13. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

HOW WILL WE KNOW WHAT COMPANY OWNS THEM???

1 person likes this.
  14. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Managing Editor

:rofl!: :rofl!: :rofl!:

Do an average Joe Schmo really care who owns them?

Let's just say it's owned by some sort of Deathstar that no longer exist.

Anyways they'll probably bring that tag within other pages on the site. But I first say that same design when I link Rochester's Democrat & Chronicle article about WHAM taking over WUHF ops over a week ago. That's when I saw WBIR test design, that was the same one, plus what USA Today is using. Yeah that's a lovely way to be original Gannett. I'm hoping that their live streaming software be like the current Gannett TV sites. But I was hoping the Belo sites be more like Gannett's current TV sites.

And anyways, I still think we're going to have to wait until anything would probably come from both DOJ & the FCC. Because if we don't hear anything prior to the Holidays, i'm speculating this thing will go in past the start of 2014 before we hear anything from them. And the MG & Tribune deals might see the greenlight before Gannett does, despite all three having denial petitions.

15. skbl17

skbl17 Ninja Editor

WTF? Didn't Gannett just launch a new website design in 2011? Gannett must have a lot of money lying around to go redesign websites this often.

16. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

Is it really that expensive, since they merely adapted another website, already in use?

And that is a question, wouldn't it be not as expensive?

17. sanewsguy

sanewsguy TV Viewer

Not really considering all of Gannett's websites and CMS are done in-house.

18. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

Ugh, why do station groups keep insisting that their websites look like something I would view on an Ipad?

I mean it's not as bad as the CBS Local websites, but I don't see how designing websites like this is user friendly?

1 person likes this.
  19. sanewsguy

sanewsguy TV Viewer

because most view it on an ipad now...

although I agree with your point. But this is so much better than the CBS Local sites or that dreaded Fox & Friends site that looks like someone loves Windows 8 too much...

the Gannett sites also needed an update after the new graphics were adopted, as the current sites have elements of the old graphics package (mainly the breaking news banner)

20. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

I agree the site would be so much better for the Belo stations, those are so difficult to use.