1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

Discussion in 'General TV' started by MidwestTV, Mar 15, 2017.

1. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

Well over 3,000 comments have been filed, and they are still going through them.

The fact that Sinclair has been a bully through all this, and dishonest to the FCC, means that the deal should be dismissed and denied - something that I would rarely suggest.

televisionguy16 likes this.
  2. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Instead Paid Off and the other two Generic Republican Commissioner Crooks will approve it with a 3-2 vote despite all evidence to the contrary and the volume of opposition.

It’s always Party over Country with those people.

brianpr3 likes this.
  3. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Newsflash: The Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans. Also, not sure why you keep referring to people with code names either. We're not little kids. I think you're point would be taken more seriously if you used proper names.

4. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Paid Off met with the Smith family before Trump took office. He IS completely bought and paid for by Sinclair to do their bidding.

He doesn’t deserve a smidgen of respect ... in fact, he should be straight-up removed from the office and investigated endlessly for engaging in collusion to benefit one company, and one company only, because that company uses their resources as agitprop to benefit the Republican Party.

#1704 Myron Falwell, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  5. hmaxhanson

hmaxhanson TEGNA's Target Viewer

I'll just bet Sinclair will use Tuesday's NYC massacre for their own advantage, saying that the incident could've been prevented had WPIX been airing their quote-unquote "Terrorism" Alert Desk!

Kenneth Kissel and Spectrum27 like this.
  6. Nicktes95

Nicktes95 Assignment Editor

But there is a lot more terrorism than we'd like to admit. Maybe not here in America (yet), but a lot in Europe, at least once every month, which is suspiciously bad. That said, who'd take the "Terrorism Alert Desk" seriously? I don't. And Sinclair, while it does have a slant that can sometimes be ridiculous even now, it isn't the only station group that is slanted.

Yes, we can all be relieved. Though at the same time, I feel sorry for him and I'm also starting to wonder if Rupert Murdoch ruined his reputation because he no longer had any use for him.

I'm no fan of Sinclair (if anything, I'd rather Fox bought Tribune instead), but I have to ask, what about the Nexstar-Media General merger? Nobody was as panicked about that as they are about the Sinclair-Tribune merger.

#1706 Nicktes95, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Megatron81 likes this.
  7. brianpr3

brianpr3 News Director

I wonder can it be stopped by someone suing?

8. NEOMatrix

NEOMatrix aka Raycom's God of Destruction

Spectrum27 likes this.
  9. Eyewitness News-man

Eyewitness News-man N.W.A: News-man With Attitude.

They still will/do, but their new game plan also includes acquiring series (whether still airing or cancelled [although most are the latter]) from other countries. Many people have either mocked this plan for dear life or wished Underground would return. Or both.

Megatron81 likes this.
  10. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

It's not the first time they've done this- back in 2008, during the dark days of Sam Zell (and the inexplicable "eyes" logo), they were the first place in the US to air the awesome Canadian sitcom Corner Gas.

11. T.L. Hughes

T.L. Hughes News Director

Thirteen Congressional Democrats, led by California Rep. Jerry McNerney, are seeking to get the FCC to delay the vote to relax FCC ownership rules until the agency conducts a thorough public comment process. Meanwhile, Sinclair's shameless greed is boundless as it is apparently seeking to get the Department of Justice to relax its antitrust restrictions on broadcast ownership.

At this rate, whether Pai budges depends on if Dems put the same pressure that made the Broadcast Bureau go through a so-called by-the-book review of the Sinclair-Tribune deal; the TVNewsCheck article, however, notes that it may be a little more difficult for it to convince the DOJ Antitrust Division to revise its advertising share cap to avoid making divestments. In any event, expect the lawsuit to curb the ownership rule changes to cite the lack of invitation for public comment as a reason to overturn it.

If it looks like a duck, smells like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's most likely a duck. However, the only way that Pai gets removed is if some sort of investigation -- probably an independent one conducted by The Washington Post, The New York Times or another major newspaper -- actually reveals that Pai had engaged in corruption on Sinclair's insistence. I think that some sort of payment/gift arrangement may have been conspired, but if there is, evidence is need. And if David Smith or Chris Ripley did have a grafting arrangement in place with Pai and either or both of the two conservative comissioners, Sinclair would (and should) find itself ending up like RKO General.

#1711 T.L. Hughes, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Spectrum27 likes this.
  12. hmaxhanson

I know it's likely wishful thinking, but could this weeks wins for the Democrats have any affect on this ongoing M&A soap opera?

13. T.L. Hughes

T.L. Hughes News Director

No. Democrats didn't add any Congressional seats in this election, that chance is coming for the remaining Congressional special elections being held before the end of the year and next November's midterms. Also, Ajit Pai's already been reconfirmed as FCC Chair, so nothing can be done about it at this point.

If the Democratic Party does take the House and/or Senate in the midterms, expect investigations into Pai's conduct in dealing with the Sinclair-Tribune deal to begin after the start of the next Congressional meeting period, barring any aforementioned press expose. And, if they can find direct evidence of corruption in his dealings with Sinclair, a request for resignation will come.

14. hmaxhanson

Oh well. A guy can dream, can he?

15. Nicktes95

Nicktes95 Assignment Editor

How has Sinclair been a bully through all this? Sure, I'd rather Fox buy Tribune instead but, how would Sinclair be a bully? Unless David Smith is directly involved, which wouldn't surprise me given how he's still in the company. Only now, he's chairman rather than CEO, which, by the way, he was promoted into.

Megatron81 likes this.
  16. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

No. It’s a completely legal business transaction. You can’t sue just because you don’t like something.

17. NowBergen

NowBergen AM Anchor

If the DOJ is concerned about anti-competitiveness and/or media consolidaton (supposedly) with the AT&T Time Warner merger (which is complementary, no matter how you feel about it), then taking a different perspective with Sincalir Tribune shows something stinks in Paid Off ville.

NEOMatrix likes this.
  18. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

Follow-up.

Since the House Dems haven't received any further correspondence from Pai, they have now turned to the Inspector General of the FCC for assistence in investigating Pai's actions to "improperly" benefit Sinclair.

Now if they aren't hearing anything from Pai, what are the chances they're going to hear anything from FCC's IG?

It's obvious why they're making noise, because the FCC is going to vote on the Media Ownership measure this Thursday.

19. CircleSeven

It's very interesting that this deal has been greenlighted, since the overall Sinclair-Tribune deal hasn't.

20. CircleSeven

The noise just keeps on cranking, as the dereg vote is tomorrow.

The Senate Dems have sent their own letter to the IG to "investigate" on Pai's actions.

They have also have wrote a separate letter to Pai to recuse himself from voting that deregulatory meausre in tomorrow's FCC meeting. And they were asked to halt any further action in regards to the Sinclair-Tribune transaction until the "investigation" is completed.