1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

Discussion in 'General TV' started by MidwestTV, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

More like the cliff notes book lol,

The only thing that shows or mention FOX is the custom Opens with the and Sign off on reporters, “KTVU FOX 2 News.”

The Mic Flags, Mobile App Icon Logo, and the set Has the Laser 2, including the top of the set still says KTVU 2 NEWS.

The only tweak they did to the studio was replacing the Cox Weather Moniker “StormTracker 2” Banner to “Weather Authority.” A few months ago they recently changed the top of the news desk is no longer walnut and now painted black with an added horse shoe black plexiglass following the desk trim design.

Were also still waiting for the upstairs news set they use during their 9am show to be completed unless it got scrapped.

#2041 SFTV, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

3. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Or... Fox never was interested in WGNO in the first place.

atlnews2, jsn1992, Megatron81 and 2 others like this.
  4. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

Entirely possible, but I can't imagine why FOX wouldn't want a flagship station of the very good New Orleans Saints, especially if live sports is their way forward (be it with the network or everything they'll have left post-Disney.)

I mean, they rekt WCCB, one of their strongest affiliates, to have a duop in Charlotte. No reason to believe they're not cool with rehabbing a bottom-dweller.

Only reasons I can think of is they think there's little money to be made in a 50s market, which would then take GB off the table, too--or they're afraid of another hurricane.

Megatron81, Spectrum27 and Eat News like this.
  5. Myron Falwell

Fox is clearly engineering this deal with Sinclair to preserve some balance with their affiliate owner base, as well as to get back many of the affiliates they sold off in 2008 (in order for News Corp. to buy Dow Jones).

So it’s a little bit different than the swaps for WJZY or KTVU... although Fox has coveted KCPQ badly for years and years. They WANT Seattle bad, and everything else is a bonus.

I don’t think Fox ever wanted in NOLA... not when Tom Benson owned WVUE (that alone would have been in incredibly poor form, to strip a station owned by an NFL team owner of the rights to carry his own team’s games!) and not now with Raycom in full control.

6. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

And that's the weird thing--even you've said Pai will let them get away with murder with this deal negating much of a need for dealmaking in the first place, and Seattle is a market where there are big conflicts (probably the most sore thumb of the whole lot), but Sinclair could really stick it to FOX and sell pieces to other owners.

I bet Univision would love to have an O&O in Seattle. Hell, give KUNS *AND* KJZO to them, and let JoeTV become UniMas. I'm sure Pai would give Sinclair a waiver to let them continue operating Q13.

That would be the ultimate middle finger--and I'm not sure FOX could do much about it, given they just sold the farm to Disney.

DonDonP1 likes this.
  7. Myron Falwell

The only thing Fox could do in retaliation is pull a mass disaffiliation with all Sinclair stations, with or without replacement affiliates in place. It would be a nuclear option that devastates both companies.

I don’t see Sinclair screwing over Fox like that, though. They need each other to help facilitate this charade of a merger, more than even we think.

8. DonDonP1

DonDonP1 AM Anchor

Hello. Respectfully, I have to agree with those who want Fox to buyout Q13 Fox and Joe TV.

jsn1992 and Megatron81 like this.
  9. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

Or Sinclair could decide to keep KCPQ and KJZO and sell KOMO and KUNS instead.

DonDonP1 likes this.
  10. DonDonP1

DonDonP1 AM Anchor

I wish that would happen. I do hope Fox would assume ownership of Q13 and Joe TV--soon to be Fox 13 and Fox 13 Plus, respectively.

11. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

I'm not so sure.

I did some math. Let's say Sinclair plays hardball and FOX pulls their affiliations. That's 15.8% of the country suddenly without their FOX station, including Green Bay. Post-Trib merger that number would be almost 30%, including a couple more football markets. You bet Congress would get involved.

You'd either see the affiliation swap of all time, or FOX would cease to exist as a major broadcaster (which I frankly think they're preparing for anyway.) Sinclair would just...I dunno, make their orphans all Comet affils or something.

If this FCC and this administration Is as favorable to Sinclair as we would all like to believe, FOX needs them way more than the other way around. If this merger gets done, SInclair will have the production capability to create their own national network, which I also think is the endgame down the road. They will be fine. I'd feel different if they were all FOX affils--and Sinclair will be the largest holder of those for sure when all is said and done--but the company's diversified enough where I'm not sure it matters. ABC, for one, seems willing to play ball.

Now, if we were talking the FOX of 10, 12 years ago when they were regularly #1 in the ratings, I'd also feel different.

12. Myron Falwell

Replacing network programming with a Comet or H&I or a daily strip talk show (if you recall the rumors of them talking to Bill O'Reilly a few months ago) wouldn't be that unheard of for Sinclair. I wouldn't call it a network per se, and Sinclair wouldn't, but that's really what it is.

But such a possibility also dovetails with the decline of new product on broadcast television. It's not an immediate exodus but you see it already with the big streaming providers already grabbing the eyes and ears of demographics across the board. Maybe that's what Fox is recognizing, and why they are slowly pulling out of traditional linear output with the Disney deal (which also strengthens Disney's digital output substantially).

Back in 2008, Jeff Zucker mentioned that there could be a possibility that NBC pulls up stakes and leaves OTA for cable. (This was around the same time that the GE budget cuts hampered their O&O division and crippled the network.) It's less likely that NBC will be the first to bail now, thanks to Comcast steering the network and their stations around... but it's going to happen soon to one network.

Yes, Sinclair can fill the holes of the loss of a network if that happens, and probably won't miss a beat. The Bill O'Reilly rumors suggested they have thought of this possibility. But Sinclair also needs to bolster their digital holdings and digital presence, or they risk buying into a modern-day horse-and-buggy universe. They need to launch a Hulu or Netflix of their own that can offer their local news output and subchannel programming on demand.

And... there's nothing that says Fox won't still eventually do an deal with an ION (or a Sinclair) for operations or infrastructure, even after they buy said 6-10 stations. Maybe those added stations makes the group even more palatable for such a deal, and that's really the intent.

13. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

Doubtful, Sinclair has their webteam based out of KOMO Plaza.

DonDonP1 likes this.
  14. newsteam13

newsteam13 Moderated User

Westword Denver is reporting that Rupert Murdoch might buy back FOX31, and at the same time, purchase CW2 (both Denver stations owned by Tribune). Looks like KWGN/KDVR might be side-by-side with WFLD FOX 32 and WPWR CW50, seeing that the Chicago duopoly is owned by FOX Television Stations.

http://www.westword.com/news/rupert...-for-denver-tv-stations-fox31-and-cw2-9874239

moreover, KDVR might use Beyond, while KWGN retains Locals Only. Both music packages composed by Stephen Arnold Music

#2054 newsteam13, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    DonDonP1 likes this.
  15. DonDonP1

DonDonP1 AM Anchor

You are right.

#2055 DonDonP1, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  16. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

Okay. We get this too.

Anyone who keeps repeating themselves in this thread is going to be thread banned.

17. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

If that's the case then look for Fox to do something similar with the Tribune duopoly in St Louis (KTVI/KPLR).

And a good article you posted. Really highlights the possibly irony in the former KDVR ND leaving the station as soon as the Sinclair deal was announced, only to see that station possibly be bought back by Fox instead.

18. oklahomanewsman

oklahomanewsman News Director

I'm starting to think that the former KDVR/KWGN's News Director's decision to leave when this deal was announced was a bad decision, if he knew that KDVR/KWGN was getting sold off to someone else NOT named Sinclair, he would've never left KDVR in the first place. Oh well, he bettted on Sinclair keeping KDVR/KWGN and it's looking like he lost that bet.

Megatron81 likes this.
  19. DonDonP1

DonDonP1 AM Anchor

Hello, Weeters. My apologies. Forgiveness, please.

20. Myron Falwell

Of course the story was headlined with, “Company ripped by John Oliver.” For a long-ago monologue that, to the best of my knowledge, had no follow-up and didn’t so much as to move the needle on anything beyond well-established talking points.

[​IMG]

Megatron81 and CircleSeven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.