Sinclair buying Bonten Stations.....

Discussion in 'General TV' started by padrechuck, Apr 21, 2017.

1. padrechuck

padrechuck Reporter

2. Viper550

Viper550 News Director

Well, they might not be Getting the Facts Right much longer. I was someone who thought Bonten could be a dark horse for acquiring stations themselves...

3. rtmclaug

rtmclaug Primary Anchor

I've said it before on previous Sinclair threads and I'll say it again here:
    Time to update that demo reel.

4. newsbot

newsbot Primary Anchor

Hey, at least they're paying for them with cash on hand...

5. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

I'm guessing this deal was long planned but they were waiting for a friendly FCC.

Raymie likes this.
  6. tyrannical bastard

tyrannical bastard Assistant VP of Aspect Ratio Correction

This deal brings WEMT back into the Sinclair fold....They divested them to Aurora Broadcasting back in 2006, which soon was folded into Bonten/Esteem (Aurora entered into an LMA with WCYB)

7. ChesapeakeTV

ChesapeakeTV Covering North Georgia and The Tidewater

TBH, I'm really not all that horrified by this. I never cared much for Bonten - WCTI has utterly self-destructed in the last 10 years under their ownership, and of the entire group perhaps WCYB and KECI are the only ones with passable on-air looks. (Yes, I know there's a lot more to stations than how they look, but in my mind your on-air look reflects your station's health/newsroom sanity.)

8. GoldenShine9

Agreed, they might as well have been Sinclair stations for years. The positive is that it makes a Tribune acquisition that much more difficult...

WITN and WNCT blow WCTI out of the water in ratings, correct?

9. TennTV1983

TennTV1983 Primary Anchor

I second that notion, especially when you consider the tone of some of the special reports Bonten Media has done in the past that are parallel to the kind of stuff Sinclair tends to roll out.

TVIntheDesert likes this.
  10. tyrannical bastard

tyrannical bastard Assistant VP of Aspect Ratio Correction

I believe WCTI is in the middle with WITN finishing first and WNCT being in last place. WCTI has always been based in New Bern and their coverage has reflected it. Even when WITN moved from Chocowinity to Greenville may have helped them overtake WNCT in the ratings.

Also, when Piedmont sold WFXI/WYDO to Esteem, it brought them into the same fold as WCTI, and WNCT lost the ability to produce their newscasts.

11. TVIntheDesert

TVIntheDesert Managing Editor

"Getting The Facts Right" is just Bonten's way of saying "Fair and Balanced" without using Fox's trademark. Bongarten did that with the Emmis stations he ran (remember "Clear. Accurate. To The Point"?).

Other than that, there will be a couple markets losing MeTV in favor of Sinclair's home-grown diginets. I'm sure Weigel won't have any trouble finding replacement affiliates.

12. TVIntheDesert

Another thing: when all is said and done, Sinclair will be left without a station in the Phoenix market, where their brand of news coverage would thrive. I don't think any of the owners here want to sell, unless its newsless independent KAZT. As much as I didn't care for Meredith picking up KTVK, at least it's better than if Gannett would have sold it to Sinclair.

13. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

Meredith doesnt have interest in selling (KTVK/KPHO) and neither does FOX (KSAZ/KUTP), Scripps (KNXV) or even TEGNA, despite the recent failures of KPNX.

As far as I'm concered, not one station in Arizona will be owned by Sinclair anytime soon.

14. GoldenShine9

Tucson is also pretty much closed off to them as well - Scripps and Tegna are present there too, Raycom is also highly unlikely to sell to them (the only company I can see buying them is Gray in a full merger as that is somewhat feasible) and Cordillera would have too many conflicts to make that deal work despite the fact I believe they are a seller right now.

15. TVIntheDesert

TEGNA might sell KMSB/KTTU, given they don't make as much money as they could off of news at those stations. However, Sinclair would be in the position of building a brand new news department from scratch (unless they pull a WNWO and outsource the anchors from Las Vegas or Salt Lake City). KMSB has tried doing news on their own twice (first as KZAZ and then under Belo ownership) and both times they couldn't make it work.

16. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

Why hasn't Raycom bought KMSB/KTTU outright? If I recall, both stations are already being operated out of KOLD. Will that exceed the cap for the Tuscon market?

And I agree, Sinclair is not going to put the money/time/effort into establishing another news department on a station that's struggled to have a successful newscast that wasn't produced by another station.

17. TVLover8528

TVLover8528 Not associated with Sinclair Broadcast Group

This merger may go by quick. There are no conflicts in which both companies own stations in a single market.

18. TVIntheDesert

KMSB would fit into the American Spirit portfolio.

If Raycom was able to buy KMSB outright, they would have already. I'm not sure if KMSB is a "top four" station (KUVE and/or KHRR might be ahead of them), but Journal was only allowed to buy KWBA with a failing station waiver, and I'm not sure if KMSB is considered a "failing station."

#18 TVIntheDesert, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  19. Breaking News

Breaking News News Director

This company goal to own a station in every market...smh and here hoping the Tribune deal will die.

TexasTVNews likes this.
  20. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

Same.

Tribune has poured a lot of effort into both KDVR/KWGN as well as KTVI/KPLR. Sinclair will surely stop any momentum those stations currently have.