Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Corporate Chat' started by Smitha A, Jul 27, 2014.

1. WHIO-TV fanatic

WHIO-TV fanatic Newsroom Intern

2. Darius22

Darius22 Managing Editor

WJAR had a malfunction during dateline commercial breaks. they were showing a WBFF commercial instead of a WJAR commercial for a brief second. another one occurred at WBFF where one of the monitors on the news would show their FOX 45 logo glitching green lines during weather. i wonder if Sinclair knows about these Issues.

#582 Darius22, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  3. GoGatos

GoGatos Assignment Editor

I've heard Sinclair plans to roll out another new graphics package "soon." Anyone else heard anything?

4. tyrannical bastard

tyrannical bastard Assistant VP of Aspect Ratio Correction

Anything like WKRC's package?

If they start rolling it out, expect it on their key stations like WBFF and WSYX/WTTE first.

5. NEOMatrix

NEOMatrix aka Raycom's God of Destruction

If they roll out another package, it will probably be more of a refresh than an all-out new package.

6. tw-804

tw-804 Primary Anchor

What? WRLH haven't switched to the current graphics and 615's Sinclair theme yet! I'm still waiting.

7. TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews Primary Anchor

Sinclair is really running the gauntlet big time, here's what's going on.

8. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

Translation:

The debt is stacking up and ad revenues are much lower than we thought so now we have to cut costs wherever we can. I feel this is just the beginning.

Welcome to the next Clear Channel (err...iHeartMedia).

CircleSeven likes this.
  9. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

WPEC also lost Kerrin Jeromin and Steve Glazier (husband and wife meteorologists), Steve is going to WeatherNation in Denver and Kerrin is looking right now? They'll be down to 2 there I believe.

They are a distant third now in the market I believe?

10. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

Yep... WPEC is third. WPBF has long taken over for second place with WPTV still reigning as king.

11. newsbot

newsbot Primary Anchor

And yet Sinclair continues to make all kinds of investments in technology, networks and online ventures. Tegna went through its own bloodletting a while back through early retirements and recently shut down NWCN. Retail is going through its own post-Christmas liquidations and store closures, and the Sears Holdings final implosion could happen at any time. Sinclair was at the brink of bankruptcy a few years ago, but I'm not getting the feeling that they're at that point now. For one thing, the FCC-imposed TV ownership limit tends to prevent even large group owners for getting leveraged to the point of an iHeart Radio, which can't seem to get below $20 billion or so in debt.

#591 newsbot, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  12. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

First, that limit probably dies under a Trump administration and a Republican controlled FCC. Give it time.

Second, EVERYONE will feel it. Trump has proven you don't have to spend money on TV ads to become President of the United States. Political spending as we know it is about to change and I've long felt local TV is too dependent on it. I hope all Sinclair is doing is future-proofing itself, because with all the stations they have in swing states, if they can't balance the books, who can?

13. newsbot

newsbot Primary Anchor

The current financial model is also built on a foundation of retrans revenue and duopolies. If a future FCC undercuts that model it could have a devastating impact. As for political, we can expect more diversion of campaign spending from broadcast media to online, but Trump is a unique case in that he was already well-known and had a lot of "earned media" that isn't fully accountable in terms of dollars and cents (though many analysts have attempted to do so) and few candidates are likely to be able to replicate.

#593 newsbot, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. GoGatos

GoGatos Assignment Editor

I don't think it will. I'm with YTownNewsGuy in thinking it's more of a refresh of the current package. That could be a reason some of the stations still aren't using the Sinclair gfx... because they'll be outdated in a matter of months anyway.

15. Breaking News

Breaking News News Director

16. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

I believe WGME is like that - they tend to go against their bosses sometimes. I'm surprised Sinclair hasn't tried to intervene there, but I guess Portland, ME isn't seen as a "micromanaging" market.

17. AJClementeFan69

AJClementeFan69 Forum Contributor

Such a disgusting company. Really seems like the place to be in this business is at one of the privately-owned family companies like Hearst, Cox, etc. that aren't chasing the biggest margin for their shareholders.

rkolsen likes this.
  18. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

Hearst
    Cox
    Sunbeam
    Graham
    Dispatch
    Heartland
    Quincy
    Tribune (less so than Nexstar, Sinclair or TEGNA)
    Meredith
    Gray?

Those are companies that I think of that really do keep their people and doesn't make much cuts or bloodshed.

19. AJClementeFan69

AJClementeFan69 Forum Contributor

Eh, Gray doesn't really belong there. They laid off a bunch at WDBJ.

I would add Hearst...and there are a couple of the smaller ones that also seem pretty good. Cordillera, Hubbard, Morgan Murphy to name a few. You look at the stations (esp. the flagships) and how many longtimers are still at each...

20. TriangleTriadMediaNews

TriangleTriadMediaNews Managing Editor

Just posted this in out and about, but figured it would fit well over here as well.

DCRTV reports that WJLA/NC8's Bruce DePuyt will be leaving the station effecting Jan 31st.

I honestly won't be surprised if other veteran on-air staff such as Doug Hill, Dave Lucas, Rich Reeve, Melanie Hastings, Suzanne Kennedy, etc leave or "retire" before 2017 is over.