Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Corporate Chat' started by Smitha A, Jul 27, 2014.

1. newsbot

newsbot AM Anchor

In the wake of the "pay for play" scandal, our local Sinclair stations (WGME and WPFO) have started running several pages of "Promotional Consideration" disclaimers at or near the end of each newscast. Have you seen this at your local Sinclair news-producing outlet?

2. newsbot

newsbot AM Anchor

We're also getting a lot of Circa content, which tends to skew left (apart from ex-RNC flack Raffi Williams.)

3. Chief-O

Chief-O AM Anchor

"Good Day Wisconsin" may be a different case, but I have seen such plugs there. Not sure about 5P or 9P.

4. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

It's the end of local news production in Toledo, where Sinclair has decided to shift the actual production of its WNWO newscasts to South Bend and occasion some layoffs in the process.

The reporters, meteorologists and apparently the actual news set will remain in Toledo, but the entire backend operations will move to WSBT.

5. mrschimpf

mrschimpf Primary Anchor

So this basically is on par with what WKBW did in their most dire days before Scripps bought them, sub-contracting out master control to a company in Atlanta, but also reducing redundant news personnel. WNWO also hasn't switched to HD yet, so this is one way to finally get that done.

It can only help; WNWO has been cursed since the Overmeyer days and with WDIV easily available in Toledo they've always had an uphill battle. The eight month carriage dispute with Buckeye where nobody batted an eye and demanded the station back also didn't help at all. Sinclair tried, but like Raycom, Malrite and Barrington before it, the station just will never move out of last place.

Raymie likes this.
  6. newsbot

newsbot AM Anchor

In yet another classic example of fixing what wasn't broken, Sinclair has rolled out a new live streaming player for its stations. Only one problem: it reloads every few minutes, and if you're outside the "live" time period it defaults to the dreaded "your stream is starting soon" loop. If ATSC 3.0 is anywhere near this flaky, we're in for a world of hurt.

7. mardek1995

mardek1995 News Director

Well, when something is the same for too long, it breaks, though I dont know exactly how long it takes for that to happen. But I will say, that didnt break yet

newsbot likes this.
  8. newsbot

newsbot AM Anchor

After giving Sinclair crap about their new streaming protocol, I have to come to their defense on this. They're getting grief from Scott Jones about their news startup in Wilkes-Barre. Is he aware that currently WOLF's newscasts are produced by WBRE? Isn't a new "voice" in the market a positive thing, even if many functions are handled out of WSBT? Time will tell if this morphs into News Central 2.0, but on balance I view this as a positive development.
    http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/12/4/sinclair-to-produce-newscast-from-600-miles-away

9. tyrannical bastard

tyrannical bastard Assistant VP of Aspect Ratio Correction

I'd like to know the last time Sinclair launched their OWN news department at a single station (or market) they own....

Even the brand-new newscast on WTGS FOX 28 in Savannah is piped in from WPDE in Myrtle Beach with a few "local reporters" to cover the news.

If anything, independent, secondary operations in Sinclair's fold could be on their way out over the next few years.

Raymie likes this.
  10. newsbot

newsbot AM Anchor

I escalated the issue to Sinclair CTO Delbert Parks. He assured me he would look into the issue, so here's hoping...

11. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Here's a doozy of a lede...

12. TennTV1983

TennTV1983 Primary Anchor

Yeah, that should come as a surprise to no one considering Sinclair's political stance and the fact it has made donations to the GOP in the past.

13. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Not to mention that Armstrong Williams (head of pseudo-shell company Howard Stirik Holdings) is the spokesman for one Ben Carson.

Grifters R' Us.

14. atlnews2

atlnews2 Managing Editor

this isn't surprising at all. During the last months of the campaign the only non-Fox interviews Donald would give would be to Sinclair stations and or to the Sinclair produced show "full measure"

15. newsbot

newsbot AM Anchor

Our local Sinclair station plays it pretty straight in terms of local coverage and relegates the corporate cram-downs (Behind the Headlines, Full Measure, Circa, The Right Side) mostly to off-peak time periods. One of their chief anchors does on-air editorials under the moniker "The Real Deal," and the content leans center-left. According to FTVLive, Hearst cut the same deal with the Trump campaign, though they aren't receiving the same blowback as Sinclair. Our local Sinclair station airs national content from CBS and CNN, even during their Fox-affiliated station's newscasts (I can't recall the last time I saw Fox content there.)
    http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/20...admits-cutting-deals-with-sinclair-and-hearst

#575 newsbot, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  16. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Surprised at Hearst. Couldn't find any comments aside from the FTV post. Some of their executives made comments against Trump. Sure the founder was conservative but now it didn't seem like it.

Wasn't much Trump coverage here given it's a blue state.

17. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

That may be a "looser" Sinclair station in your market with a news director not afraid to take them on?

Also, just wondering if SBG has deals with other owners for their own shows (like Full Measure) to air them in markets that lack a Sinclair station? Or do other owners hate them so much? Even in deep red areas, there are many markets (and even some entire states) with no Sinclair presence.

18. newsbot

newsbot AM Anchor

After two years, Sinclair has pulled the plug on its WGME-produced 6:30PM newscast on Fox affiliate WPFO/Portland, ME. The last broadcast was Friday.

19. atlnews2

atlnews2 Managing Editor

20. JoseRM303

JoseRM303 News Director