Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Corporate Chat' started by Smitha A, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Smitha A

Smitha A Director of Digital Content
    TVNT Staff

This thread is for rational general discussion about Sinclair Broadcast Group. Please try not to rant.

Remember that you're encouraged to create a new thread for "big" events (i.e. Sinclair purchasing another station group).

======

Discussion about the sale of Allbritton Communications to Sinclair should go in this thread.
    The previous Sinclair thread has been archived here.

2. news89

news89 Primary Anchor

3. tyrannical bastard

tyrannical bastard Assistant VP of Aspect Ratio Correction

It looks like it's already launched, especially since these look like excerpts from either last night's WVAH or WCHS news.

I guess the next opportunity to find out is tonight at 6pm on WCHS streaming live!

4. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

And WBFF still hasn't gotten them yet. I'm honestly shocked that it's taking this long for their flagship to get these new graphics, wonder why that is.

5. andrewishcool95

andrewishcool95 Assignment Editor

WBFF had them on some of their weather slides a few weeks ago but they haven't been seen since.

6. tyrannical bastard

New graphics are up and running in Charleston/Huntington!

AND on WKEF/WRGT in Dayton!

I guess we've all been blindsided by the Allbritton hoopla, that these launches slipped by....

7. Mrtraveler01

Looks like WKEF/WRGT got these back on July 14th. Wish they would've changed those crappy logos for WKEF and WRGT. The square logos look weird inside the bug.

Any guesses on the next station to get these?

Speaking of WKEF/WRGT, I stumbled on this interesting story regarding the government intervening between cable cos and station groups like Sinclair: http://www.abc22now.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/wkef_vid_21408.shtml

Was their feud with Buckeye about to go into federal arbitration or something? I just find the timing of this story a tad odd.

8. tyrannical bastard

I believe WSYX, and a few other stations have run the story as well.

The ATVA has weighed in on this claiming the stories are one-sided towards Sinclair because it is self-serving towards their needs.
    http://www.multichannel.com/news/carriage-deals/atva-slams-sinclair-retrans-story/382763

Now if Conan wants something to bash....THIS is one of those rip-and-read stories, and DOES show the agenda-pushing side of Sinclair that has been debated for years.

9. Mrtraveler01

You're right. The link you sent links to a story from KMPH in Fresno which happens to file a report made by WBFF in Baltimore. So this is definitely being spread throughout the station group.

Reading stories like that makes my blood boil because their whole excuse for why they keep jacking up the retrans fees every time a contract is up for renewal is so absurd and full of BS ("reinvest into the local community"? Really? More like reinvesting into the station if even that!). They're just as bad as the cable companies when it comes to this debate.

But I'll save that for another thread.

10. sanewsguy

sanewsguy TV Viewer

11. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

I'm thinking a national reporter may not want to do a piece like this where it could damage their credibility if they were to do this type of piece. Plus if it came from Hunt Valley, WBFF would have made the most sense because they are the closest. Second how many national reporters do they have? They only one I know of is Kai Jackson but he has yet to make an appearance on WBFF because of a (what seems to be a very long) non compete clause.

12. tyrannical bastard

Other than Kai Jackson, there's Kristine Frazao, their other "national correspondent"; and Sheila Gray, who does ther "Family 411" reports. In Sheila Gray's case, she had to ride out a non-compete when she left WXIX in Cincinnati, by working out of WKEF/WRGT in Dayton for an interim period. As soon as it was up, she went to WKRC and is now their morning anchor in addition to doing her reports.

There's Mark Hyman as well, but since he's more of a host/commentator, I don't think he's done any stories outside of Town Halls and his "Behind the Headlines" commentary.

I wonder when Sharyl Atkisson will start doing reports?

13. socalnewsguy

socalnewsguy Dark Lord

Greg Turchetta, news director at KEYE in Austin, has resigned today. No specific reason given, his last day will be sometime in the next week.

14. Mrtraveler01

WKEF/WRGT VO during the intro:

"Live from 2245 Corporate Place...this is ABC 22 News at 11"

They really couldn't think of something better than that?

15. ns8401

ns8401 Station Group CEO

The fact that they say the address is strange, even weirder that it's Corporate Place. Lousy writing and even more uninventive street name.

16. sanewsguy

sanewsguy TV Viewer

It used to just be "This is ABC 22 News at 11". Don't know why they felt the need to add in the address.

Though it does look like they had the address changed to match the channel numbers. hehe (the address when WBDT occupied the building was 2589 Corporate Pl)

17. Mrtraveler01

I didn't even pick up on that. That's kind of clever actually.

It's located in an office park hence the "Corporate Place" address. But I agree, it's pretty stupid. WSYX doesn't say "live from 1261 Dublin Road..." or WBFF with "live from 2000 W 41st Street"

18. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

KPNX did it when they moved to the Arizona Republic building in downtown Phoenix: "Live from 200 EVB" (East Van Buren). Their 4pm early news/talk program is "EVB Live". It doesn't sound good at all.

(Though I think KPHO appreciates that their new address just happens to be 5555 N. 7th Avenue.)

19. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry News Director

Their address is 2245? LOL. How did the old WBDT building get that address?

20. sanewsguy

sanewsguy TV Viewer

As I said in an earlier post Sinclair had it changed to 2245. It previously was 2589.