1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Continuing Coverage Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Discussion in 'General TV' started by Weeters, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

Unless I misread that, the deal to sell KPLR to Meredith fell through. Is that a new development?

It also seems to argue that Sinclair owning 3 stations in St. Louis won't "“result in a single firm’s obtaining a significantly larger market share than other stations and reduced incentives for commonly owned local stations to compete for programming, advertising, and audience shares.”

What a steaming load of garbage. It seems to ignore the fact that it already owns one station in St. Louis and did a very bad job of running it on top of that.

#141 Mrtraveler01, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter
    Forum Moderator

You did not read it wrong. Could've just wait it out until DOJ finish the review but Sinclair wants to close this thing, thus placing the two stations back to the trust.

3. Mrtraveler01

This also caught my eye:

In the event that the DOJ requires that Sinclair divest KDNL-TV instead of KPLRTV, Sinclair will acquire KPLR-TV.

Apparently the DOJ is entertaining the idea of selling KDNL instead of KPLR. Considering how mismanaged that station has been under Sinclair, I can't imagine that many more people lining up to buy it.

4. oknewsguy

oknewsguy News Director

Is the DOJ through with Indianapolis, Seattle and Oklahoma City or is the DOJ still reviewing those 3 markets in addition to St. Louis?

5. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter
    Forum Moderator

Schettenhelm thinks that the Sinclair can get FCC approval before the D.C. Circuit rules in the UHF Discount case.

But what if the court rules BEFORE they can close the deal? Because I have a feeling that the DC Circuit might rule at anytime. And some believe that Free Press is going to win this case. So it going to go down to how they rule.

Court rules in favor of Free Press, before they can close the Tribune deal, they're screwed.

#145 CircleSeven, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. T.L. Hughes

T.L. Hughes News Director

Sinclair should probably do the same in Indianapolis. I would think the DOJ might have issues with the waiver request to keep WXIN and WTTV/WTTK, considering that the market conditions that made it plausible for the two to become commonly owned when Tribune bought WTTV from Sinclair in 2002 are not the same today, now that WTTV/WTTK is a CBS affiliate and, according to Sinclair's own filings on the deal, is now a top-4 outlet and presumably has increased its advertising share to a level where it brushes against the agency's own television duopoly regulations.

In that scenario, WXIN could easily contributed to the existing sale agreements with Fox, or either station could be contributed to the Standard Media deal.

7. oknewsguy

oknewsguy News Director

Which makes me wonder why hasn't Sinclair placed WXIN/WTTV back in the divestment trust given that clearly that not only is WTTV in the Top 4 but the increased advertising share also?

8. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

The sale of KDNL to another competent owner might spur them to actually do something with the television station, unless Sinclair takes the ABC affiliation with it.

Spectrum27, oknewsguy and Georgie56 like this.
  9. channel2

channel2 Primary Anchor

ABC seems to have largely just let Sinclair do whatever so I wouldn't be surprised.

stlwahoo likes this.
  10. NEOMatrix

NEOMatrix aka Raycom's God of Destruction

11. oknewsguy

oknewsguy News Director

And as posted in the other thread, Free Press has brought evidence of standing to court which reads in part:

What's intresting about this is the fact that Free Press admitted that had mistakenly believed that the record already supported that standing, though argued it had reason for believing that was the case. So I don't know which way the courts should lean towards because right now it's 50-50 (could go either way) so we'll see what the courts have to say about this

Megatron81 likes this.
  12. nomadcowatbk

nomadcowatbk Primary Anchor

spectrum bait?

13. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

Too late for that. I suspect just the ability to more efficiently capture political in two states (MO and IL) with newscasts would increase the value of the station.

Even a mid-market buyer like a Nexstar would do well here (I think Hearst or Scripps would be a decent fit for St. Louis or Indianapolis, but each of those is not quite them). It'd probably need to be someone with experience building news ops from scratch, which is why Nexstar would be a good fit (see WATN, which is in a rather comparable market structurally).

Megatron81 and Spectrum27 like this.
  14. nomadcowatbk

nomadcowatbk Primary Anchor

IL is a solid blue state, MO is a safe republican state at the presidential level but still has competitive down ballot races

15. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

WKBN/WYTV predated Nexstar - and even LIN... it was New Vision (and shell Parkin) that did the consolidation back in 2007. At least Media General recently gave WYTV a separate "look" for the newscasts despite using the same personnel.

#156 Myron Falwell, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    atlnews2, tjt24 and televisionguy16 like this.
  16. NEOMatrix

NEOMatrix aka Raycom's God of Destruction

Fixed!

Myron Falwell likes this.
  17. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

Except that Scripps is already in Indianapolis via WRTV.

18. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

Duh, it's been a bit. Still, Scripps wouldn't be the worst fit for St. Louis.

19. Mrtraveler01

Hearst could pair KDNL with KMBC like Meredith does with KCTV and KMOV. But I dont see Hearst wanting to invest in what is essentially a start up operation.

Nexstar would probably be a better fit because they do have a track record in starting news operations from the ground up. Even if we do complain about them being on the cheap side.