1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Scripps Getting Out Of Radio

Discussion in 'Radio Broadcasting' started by CaPa, Jan 25, 2018.

1. mrschimpf

mrschimpf News Director

It didn't help that Jake & Tanner were always a 'morning zoo' type of show that was more at home on a top 40 station. It originated on WIXX as an afternoon show before the move to KTI...only to come back to Green Bay after it was cancelled and moved to the 'it'll always be behind unless every tower on Scray's Hill collapses' Kiss FM station in the market. It was truly a bad bet on a show that had no business being on a country station.

However, I don't see WTMJ dumping their local shows at least for a few years or they lowball the talk show hosts and drive them away. There may even be a contractual thing keeping that from happening immediately. And unless iHeart decides to dump money in WISN to make it sound more local or convert one of their lower-rated stations into a WTMJ clone, there's value in staying with the current format for now.

mposeymil likes this.
  2. LoadStar

LoadStar AM Anchor

Slight tangent: proving that Magnum Broadcasting doesn't have an original bone in their body, they've flipped 92.1 (Racine/Kenosha) over to "92.1 VTY Country," with a logo very similar to the still current "94.5 KTI Country" logo.

Those in the area will recall that when 94.5 flipped from "The Lake" variety hits format over to KTI Country, Magnum co-opted "The Lake" tag, logo, and format, causing 94.5's owner at the time, Journal Broadcasting, to threaten to sue. Magnum then switched from "The Lake" to "The Shore" and tweaked the logo, but kept the format.

(This flips 92.1 back to the country music format that it had prior to adopting the Variety Hits format.)

Edit:
    1) correction to the above, Scripps had already taken over 94.5 at the time of the flip from The Lake to KTI Country.
    2) This move must be somewhat more collegial than "The Lake"/"The Shore" thing. On my way home, I heard a brief promo saying something like "Hey country listeners! On November 1, If you're in the southern part of the Milwaukee area, tune to 92.1; if you're in the northern part, tune to 92.5."

#62 LoadStar, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    mposeymil likes this.
  3. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter
    Forum Moderator

From Inside Radio this morning, Scripps have completed its sale of stations going to Good Karma & SummitMedia.

They still have yet to close on the sale of station to Lotus. Griffin closed on its Tulsa buy back in early October.

#63 CircleSeven, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  4. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

If I were Craig Karmizan, I'd arrange for the Green Bay Packers to be on BOTH 620-103.3 and 94.5. Shared AM and FM flagships occur almost everywhere, especially in the Cleveland market, where (for now) Craig's WKNR/850 is a nominal co-flagship of the Browns alongside Entercom's WKRK/92.3 and WNCX/98.5, and iHeart has Indians and Cavs games simulcast on WTAM/1100-106.9 and WMMS/100.7.

Side note, WTMJ will be celebrating their 90th year as Packers flagship next year. That's not a typo. They've carried the games on-air in some fashion since 1929.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar AM Anchor

I'm a bit surprised at the state of the webpages for the now Good Karma stations. The webpage for KTI Country is still up and running...not being updated, not even with a message about the format shift to ESPN. As far as WTMJ's webpage, it's still the Scripps page - including the Scripps lighthouse logo in the lower corner. The only thing they were able to do was replace the copyright tag with one that says Good Karma instead of Scripps Radio. (Even that took at least a week to accomplish.)

Based on what I can see on their Facebook Live broadcasts for WTMJ, it looks like the rest of IT is still also all Scripps stuff as well.

They had several months before the purchase closed; I'd have thought they'd have more ready to go at day one.

6. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Good Karma usually outsources their website responsibilities to ESPN, but that's because, until now, all of their stations outside of Beaver Dam were ESPN Radio affiliates. I'd have no idea what they even intend to do with WTMJ.

7. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

If it ain't broke...

There's no real reason they can't keep using the Scripps platform, in fact, Scripps is probably making a little money off the deal.

It took them almost a year to migrate onto that platform if I recall correctly.

mrschimpf likes this.