San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

Discussion in 'General TV' started by AKA, Jan 19, 2017.

1. rv65

rv65 AM Anchor

2. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Aha! Looks like they're apparently running ads on the C5 sub, too, which is probably an IFT requirement.

The big question now is whether there will still be a 6.2 and if it will carry Gala TV. Again, those pesky minimum bitrates come into play. The only way to go around them would be to enter the Land of MPEG-4, which even the SPR departed.

3. A3N

A3N LIVE

So based on Marcella Lee's Twitter bio, it looks like she's being bumped up to anchor the CW/Weeknights.

4. tvtime07

tvtime07 Reporter

5. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

TitanTV is now showing that XETV 6.1 will simply go dark at midnight on May 30... not even May 31.

So there's that.

6. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

Well Midnight (or 12:01am) would officially be May 31st. They'll probably switchover to Spanish programming by that point.

7. A3N

A3N LIVE

So if they plan on going with some variant of CW6 San Diego, why the hell are they de-emphasizing CBS 8 in favor of News 8? They could have stuck with CW 6 SD news.... makesme want to rip my hair out. Such a convoluted mess.

SFTV likes this.
  8. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

I watched the 10a-11a hour of Buenos Dias on XEWT this morning...

Make no mistake this is the direction XETV was heading with the news products
    It's a Pay4Play "Lifestyle show" during that last hour of "Buenos Dias". This morning the show originated from Nissan Insurgentes in Tijuana,MX. It's a car dealership and the "guest" were cars, finance guys, snakes, and I swear I saw some dude in a panda suit also.
    One of the guest was some singer. he sang to the cars...about the cars...and with the cars. They even turned on the flashers on the cars for disco effect.
    We got Notivisa reporters selling cars between stories.

In the last days of the CW6 news we saw this starting to happen on XETV. CW6 News spent an entire weekend at the Used car Tent Sale...and got flack for it nationally via ftvlive.com .

Maybe it's for the better it was killed....because lordy this last hour of Buenos Dias is fatal.

9. Eat News

I blame the new KFMB GM 100% for where they are right now at this moment.

Now let's see what they pull out of their asses between now....and the 31st.

I believe there is STILL a problem securing all the "6's" they "desire" in all the right places....

More money please....
    If this new GM at KFMB is so "down with the homies" then he better get his parents to fill a few more suitcases with Benji's...and put those puppies on the next Volaris to the Federal Dist.

This thang aint over yet.

A3N likes this.
  10. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Good, send them to a political unit that no longer exists. ;) (No, really, the formal name of Mexico City is now Mexico City after changes that make it as close to a state as it can be without actually being a state.)

The only IFT news of any interest at May 11's meeting (which took them a week to put the agenda up online) was that a radio station was awarded in San Diego...Oaxaca. I figured out that the reference was Barrio San Diego in Tlaxiaco. It basically turns this station into an AM-FM combo. As if that weren't enough, the IFT has been on a templated callsign kick for new public radio stations, so it got the callsign XHPBSD-FM. Try saying that five times fast. There was another one on Wednesday, so maybe the changes were up before IFT's commissioners then.

11. Eat News

So I have to change the license plate on my green VW now?

12. A3N

A3N LIVE

If they secured 6 on Cox and Spectrum, then what's the big deal about using CW6? I mean, I can throw a billion theories out as to why they're going with News 8 on CW San Diego, but it won't make any sense because the higher ups aren't even sure what they're doing.

I'm assuming KNSD has not gotten Telemundo on channel 20 on every provider in the County, yet that still hasn't stopped them from branding it as Telemundo 20...

People are going to be confused no matter what.
    • They didn't market this affiliation change properly,
    • Their branding is stupid and confusing,
    • The anchor assignments leave you scratching your head. I mean, really, 2 anchors to do a half-hour 10pm show?
    It's clear that the GM, ND, Creative Services, Sales and everyone else did not bother to talk to one another and get on the same page as to what they wanted and how to present a polished product. When the GM goes out and gives and interview saying that they're going to program newscasts at X, Y and Z, O'clock, and then a month+ later you learn it's not the case, that makes you realize that someone(s) dropped the ball. Bigly.

Oh, and now you throw money away by rebranding your main station...again, when you just spent a pretty penny doing so a few years prior. Go figure.

13. Eat News

What's the point anymore????

We got a Drone Ranger out of the deal...
    And there are poor kids starving in India with flies on their faces.

We should rejoice I guess.

Yippeee!
    Oh lookie....it's drone ranger 73920...wonderful....

14. Eat News

Wrong transaction???
    Nevermind.
    i quit.

bammy99 likes this.
  15. A3N

A3N LIVE

I wonder if they can shoot that drone ranger out of the truck? Would be awesome to see.

Can you imagine:
    Arrive on scene, push a button, and BOOM out goes NBCDroneTelemundoRanger 73920...only to be crushed to pieces by Chopper 8 or will it be Chopper 6, hmm?. Either way, Womp, womp.

16. Eat News

Buy me one of these and our wish can come true...
    http://www.pki-electronic.com/produ...rtable-jammer-for-video-transmission-systems/

That whole site is full of yummy things.
    Please don't show that Olsen kid.

A3N likes this.
  17. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

They do seem to have replaced "09 DISTRITO FEDERAL" with "09 CIUDAD DE MÉXICO" on stuff, even though recent pre-2016 plates also said Ciudad de México which usually was on the logo of the then-current government.

(Also, some of these old Distrito Federal plates are pretty cool.)

Eat News likes this.
  18. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

No, it's midnight on May 30. And 6.1 looks to be going dark totally, but little would surprise me at this point.

IMG_2341.PNG

19. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Lines up with the idea of C5 sliding to 6.1 — they probably don't have that data in the program stream (they do have correct program data for C5 on 6.2 though).

TitanTV, BTW, lacks any data for Azteca (Azteca América excluded), Imagen (understandable, it is a bit new) and Canal Once (also understandable, this isn't something they'd need usually).

#559 Raymie, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Myron Falwell likes this.
  20. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

On that guide graphic you're showing now, start at May 30th at 11pm. At midnight (one hour later) it will officially be May 31st (a brand new day). So the last day for CW primetime on XETV will be the 30th.

#560 CircleSeven, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Myron Falwell likes this.