1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

Discussion in 'General TV' started by AKA, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Fixed...
    You fuddy duddy's

(I will have my women on rye please.)

A3N likes this.
  2. NEOMatrix

NEOMatrix aka Raycom's God of Destruction

Fixed because we don't want to confuse the old people any further.:p

Eat News likes this.
  3. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

So apparently XETV is on 98 (798 HD) on the Izzi cable system. It's probably going to be moving to 6 when it gets whatever Spanish programming is planned for it. XHDTV is on 97/797 when it really, really should be on 49 because, well, it's XHDTV.

The lineup is the same as far south as Ensenada.

4. Eat News

So would XETV fall under some form of Mexican must carry if they are presenting all Spanish programing in MX.?
    Does a provision like that exist?

5. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Yes it does! It actually falls under Mexican must-carry right now, because it is a licensed TV station in Mexico.

Prior to the 2013 telecommunications reform, there were carriage spats, notably one involving TV Azteca that meant Megacable customers had no access to TV Azteca's channels for eight months. Studies have shown that the broadcast networks are some of the most-viewed channels by cable subscribers, so that's important.

The 2013 reform introduced "must-carry, must-offer" (an example of the term being borrowed directly into Spanish). The reason "must-offer" is also added is that some broadcasters might have an incentive to withhold stations. (Izzi is owned by Televisa, for instance — imagine if it held back Televisa programs to just its own cable providers!)

In Mexico, must-carry applies only to cable. A similar provision applies to satellite, where "national networks" covering more than 50% of the population (right now, Las Estrellas, Canal 5, Azteca 7 and Azteca Trece) must be made available nationwide on satellite. Satellite providers do not provide a local-into-local service. Sky (which is part owned by Televisa and part owned by DirecTV) provides "Local View" and "Local News" channels that consist of programs from the various Televisa Regional stations. Sky also offers FOROtv, ADN 40, Gala TV and Mexiquense TV (all broadcast over-the-air in the Mexico City area). The other satellite operators (Dish and the fairly new Star TV) have none of that.

There is also a provision that requires cable and satellite providers to carry channels from "federal public institutions" — namely, Canal Once and Once Niños, Canal 22 and Canal 22.2, Una Voz con Todos, TV UNAM, Ingenio TV (an educational service), Canal del Congreso and Canal Judicial.

As to the stations at hand, Izzi would be out of line by keeping XETV and XHDTV grouped with the US stations. They need to be at 6 and 49, stat.

#205 Raymie, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Eat News and WWUpdate like this.
  6. Eat News

Ok,
    I thought XETV was lower in the cablemas tier in Baja, but I now see it's way up at 171. I assume MARS TV would be replaced with XETV?

So would it would be correct to say a 'Univision 6" would still be up in the tier (not subject to must carry) even if it's Spanish language but not Mexico based?

7. Eat News

I don't get it.
    XETV has plenty of paid spots...the newscast is pimped out beyond what is probably legal in the USA.

How is it they were having such awful problems all this time.
    This just does not make sense that after 65 years in San Diego they suddenly just lost their business touch.

Maybe it's just bad luck?
    Why not just kill the news and keep CW?
    Is news a CW requirement?

8. A3N

A3N LIVE

Not bad luck, just bad management. From top to bottom. Honestly, if they had someone competent running the things atop, they would still have the CW and the news department.

There was ways to make the XETV operations work, it only required some creativity and competence. You can't have one without the other- not in this day and age.

CircleSeven and ShawnHill1 like this.
  9. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

I will never understand why they got rid of the "San Diego 6" branding and "kiss-up" to the network and brand it "CW 6", only for that said network to take the affiliation from under them the following year. '

I will never understand that.

10. Eat News

Does anyone really know what the circumstances surrounding the loss of CW at XETV? Are we all so sure that CW "yanked" the affiliation? Or did XETV just pass on renewal?

I'm starting to get confused.

11. ED2

ED2 Reporter

12. CRThell

CRThell Primary Anchor

Eat News likes this.
  13. A3N

A3N LIVE

The CW is in a better position now than they were back in 2008. The fact that Tribune/KSWB dumped the network for FOX, and the ratings woes at the time left the network scrambling to find an affiliate here in San Diego, so they most likely had no choice (or better option) than XETV. So, my guess is that this time around the CW head honchos tried to squeeze a few extra pennies out of XETV and they just couldn't meet their asking price.

Or, how's this for a crazy conspiracy theory...
    When KFMB renewed their CBS network affiliation, they had a clause put in to have first crack at the CW affiliation once the relationship expired with XETV.

ShawnHill1 and CircleSeven like this.
  14. Eat News

15. nickp

nickp Newsroom Intern

KFMB’s Mier y Terán believes that number may be high, but said he has already been in contact with some CW6 news team members about employment possibilities. He envisions the news programming on both KFMB and its new CW affiliate will benefit from new and shared resources.

16. A3N

A3N LIVE

If you're going to rip something from another source, you should probably attribute it, and add some context to it. Otherwise it comes across as a random opinion.

FWIW, the excerpt is part of that same article cited above. KFMB's GM was responding to XETV's GM saying he employed about 150 people which Mier Y Teran responded "[...[ that number may be high, [...]).

As far as some talent migrating over to KFMB from XETV, that had been discussed previously in the thread. It's still not a given it will happen, since we have not had any indication from anywhere as to who might jump ship. We'll know more in the next week or so. I imagine KFMB will start running promos for the new CW affiliation real soon, as we're getting down the wire.

Eat News likes this.
  17. Eat News

150 people???
    Where did they all park?
    Well if the XETV GM thinks he employed anywhere near that amount, then I can understand why they failed. His payroll was out of control!!!
    I can tell you WHO might be high.

#217 Eat News, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    A3N and Raymie like this.
  18. Eat News

I'm going to go out on the fin and say there will be NO promos of any type until after the switch. XETV may run a crawl in the final days.

I'm sure KFMB is ready for the switch to be thrown, however the news stuff is still in development and I don't expect any kind of announcements from KFMB utill after the switch.

Let them throw the switch and then let things settle out a bit. I'm getting the feeling that XETV may be a bit unpredictable in timelines and KFMB is being forced to compensate in some fashion.

CW should be promoting the hell out of this with local celeb tie-ins, and all kinds of fluff and crap. You would also think KFMB would be promoting the hell out of this...but they are not.

and...
    XETV should be promoting the hell out of whatever it is they are doing...
    But Nooooooo!

Soooooo Strange.....

19. A3N

A3N LIVE

It is a bit perplexing as to why they're soooo quiet. Do you remember back in '08 when XETV and KSWB were running a shit ton of promos for their new networks? The fact that KFMB is mum (aside from a few stories posted in the media) on this switch makes me wonder if they're working something behind the scenes with XETV to A.) secure the channel 6 spot on cable or B.) swallowing up some of their talent. You very well know that this is a heartless business, so why would KFMB extend XETV the courtesy of keeping quiet?.... Unless there's something they're working out behind the scenes.

20. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

There's no reason for them to, especially if XETV is going to exit US cable systems as appears likely and if KFMB will swallow the channel 6 slot. Best to not confuse non-OTA viewers.