1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random WGN thread

Discussion in 'Chicago News' started by ChiCubsFan, Nov 1, 2014.

1. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

I truly didn't see this coming. Joe's been there for two decades at KGW and is leaving to take a risk at a much bigger station in a much bigger market.

2. ED2

ED2 Reporter

I thought Tom Negovan to be ambitious enough to go after the primary anchor chair. Not that being a senior reporter is a bad thing.

Just a thought, but I'm wondering if Larry ever had a conversation with their news director to discuss the possibilities of replacing Suppelsa...

3. FiveNews

FiveNews Newsroom Intern

Interesting and surprising for sure. I live in Southern California, but travel to PDX frequently. Joe is an icon at KGW. I always thought of him as solid. Curious to see how he fits in with the team at WGN. I know WGN looks at the long term, so I am sure he will be fine.

Agree with the previous comments on Ben Bradley being B team material. Good for the early afternoon, but not sure I would bet the house on him. Not taking away from his talent, but I don't see that "it" factor in him just yet. Nice to see him at 9 showing his true personality though

4. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

I'm inclined to agree about Ben, too, but I still think it's silly that he and Lourdes only carry an hour when everyone else at the station anchors for at least 2 hours, or the evening team that's on for 3 and a half.

5. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

I always felt it would make sense to put Ben and Lourdes at 6pm as well. That way, you're alternating and keeping it fresh.

6. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Would make sense for Ben to to add 11-1 once Steve retires. I don’t see Dina retiring anytime soon though.

I don’t get why they don’t split the morning show in half either, 4-7 and 7-10.

And I will echo Ben not being A team material (or B team for that matter).

7. jase

jase AM Anchor

I'm sure Tom is ambitious, but who really wants to be tied to the anchor desk all day? Rafer (WFLD) only anchors Friday and Saturday and unlike his predecessor, Scott, has never worked the Live Desk @ 5P and spends most of his time out in the field.

From Tom's bio- 'When Mark’s busy, you’ll find Tom filling in on WGN Evening News and WGN News at Nine and Ten alongside Micah Materre. But truth be told, he’d rather be out covering a story.' That pretty much speaks for itself.

I'm guessing Larry was asked/considered, but probably likes the shift he has. In by 4A out by like 10-11A isn't a bad deal. Get to spend a great deal of time/one's day with the family.

8. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

Confirmed.

9. alex979

alex979 Primary Anchor

10. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

I’m still baffling. I still don’t understand why he would leave 20 years of KGW for a bigger market at WGN.

I can only think of TEGNAitis as to blame.

11. ns8401

ns8401 Station Group CEO

I hope the first paragraph is sarcasm... he probably just doubled his money...

12. C Block

C Block News Director

Definitely a surprise. It seemed like he was a KGW lifer. He and Laural Porter have been paired together for more than 20 years and were a really great anchor team. It's hard to imagine KGW nightside without him, though I'm sure they'll manage.

This interview from the Oregonian sheds some more light on it. Turns out his adult children all eventually moved to Chicago and the midwest. Not everything boils down to "Tegnitis," whatever that's supposed to mean.

http://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2018/02/portland_kgw-tv_news_anchor_jo.html

13. alex979

alex979 Primary Anchor

It seems like there might be something in the works at WGN’s graphics department, too.

14. Georgie56

Georgie56 News Director

Looks like a one-off to me.