Random WFLD thread

Discussion in 'Chicago News' started by Spring Rubber, Jan 4, 2015.

1. jase

jase AM Anchor

Rick was on at Noon on Tuesday, so I don't think his time is up just yet.

2. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

Kaitlin Cody debuted today.

3. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

From Feder. WFLD morning anchor Corey McPherrin is recovering from open heart surgery.

He'll be out for at least six weeks.

4. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

Oh my gosh, that was a surprise. May he have a safe and speedy recovery. 2017 has not been a kind health year to Chicago anchors.

5. jase

jase AM Anchor

Sally Schulte (sp?) made her debut on the 5P newscast today (at the Live Desk). I'm guessing she's per diem. At least they are adding more bodies over there at WFLD.

6. 24994J

Close enough. According to her LinkedIn profile, Sally Schulze is a '93 U of I grad who's anchored in Champaign, Chattanooga, Seattle, and most recently in Orlando. She last held such an on-air position in 2008. Billed as a "recovering newsie", Sally has spent much of her recent life working on social justice issues, and tweeting/re-tweeting about social issues, attending political marches, and spreading some rather politically charged messages. Is that a problem? No, I guess not, considering it is a public, yet non-professional account. HOWEVER, appearing on-air might give some light to such divisive opinions. Displays of such statements and messages might also receive some criticism, considering that she's been a writer at FOX32 for almost a year.

Look, I believe that most sane people can put professionalism and fairness before their politics, but this it might be time to set that account to private, and start a new one for reporting, otherwise...FAKE NEWS! BIASED MEDIA!

bandicam 2017-07-06 00-33-21-711.png

Eat News likes this.
  7. Georgie56

Georgie56 Managing Editor

8. jase

jase AM Anchor

9. ChiCubsFan

ChiCubsFan Primary Anchor

Herndon is voluntarily out at the end of the month, per Feder.

10. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

Wow, just when there was some sign of possible stability at WFLD...

mposeymil likes this.
  11. 24994J

That's a shame. All the best to him and his family's situation. I think they could make a decent transition to Schneider, McPherrin, or even Weigel, because there doesn't appear to be such a high pressure around the place like with previous regimes. They've shown reasonable stability, improved their product, and the new set has shown that corporate is willing to invest. They may not build viewership, but I don't see them losing a ton like during previous transitions.

12. jase

jase AM Anchor

This had been rumored for awhile. He was going to step down last year I think, but decided to renew only for 1 year. The 5P/9P spot is likely going to be a choice between Scott and Rafer. They don't need to make any more changes (moving Corey) in the morning. Best to leave GDC as is for now to continue to build ratings and such.

mposeymil likes this.
  13. former newsboy

former newsboy AM Anchor

I bummed about this. Jeff's a good anchor, seems like the nicest guy too. He & dawn have a real chemistry, and as much as I don't care for Bill Bellis or Lou Canellis, all four of them worked well together.

But Rafer Weigel?! Talk about unlikable! Has NONE of his father's personality. But, lucky for him, he has his name! Oh this city!:smash:

14. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

Despite the program guide's claim of Fox 32 News following the late preseason Bears game, so dice. They went directly to Fox 32 Postgame Live. (Speaking of which, I'm surprised that CSN/NBC doesn't have a trademark on the Postgame Live name.)

15. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

I did a search for that trademark "Postgame Live"...

I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone who wants to search for themselves..

You can search trademarks here....Have fun!

http://www.trademarkia.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Trademark - USA&utm_term=+trademarks&utm_content=TM Head - BMM

16. Georgie56

Georgie56 Managing Editor

17. 24994J

I'm apparently one of the few people that actually likes Rafer, so I'll say good for him. That said, I'm curious as to what that means for Scott Schneider. I rarely saw, but I got the impression that he filled in on GDC during Corey's absence, and I'd imagine he's going to fill in for whichever one of the early morning Bobbsey twins is going on maternity leave soon. I thought he had the best chance to be named to weeknights, but not doing so tells me that they're either still debating internal candidates or looking elsewhere (which doesn't make sense since Weigel could've filled that qualification WITH name recognition).

18. jase

jase AM Anchor

Scott did filled in for Corey on GDC and may fill in for Kristen when she goes on leave in October. I want to say he has been reassigned to GDC given that Rafer is taking his spot on weekends, but who knows?? Rafer, Larry and Sylvia could help fill the void @ 5P & 9P until they find Jeff's successor (which could still be either Scott or Rafer). They may want to test things out before making a final decision between the two.

24994J likes this.
  19. Chicago News Boy

Chicago News Boy Assistant News Director

Could it be he'll be the new 9 pm weeknight anchor? Schneider meaning.

20. jase

jase AM Anchor

It's possible. Despite Corey being back, Scott remains on GDC (he was on today I believe), so it's unclear if he will stay there or take Jeff's spot. It's a key role that they have to fill for like the 4th time in 10 years, so I can understand them wanting to take some time to find the right person.