Oldest news music still in use?

Discussion in 'News Music & Voiceovers' started by ColDayNews, Jan 6, 2017.

1. promoguy98

promoguy98 Primary Anchor

Oh yeah, I forgot about that close being used! And you're right, many of the older packages shared pollinated cuts with only the signatures being changed out and occasionally logo overlays over the music bed in places. It's my understanding that the beds were never market exclusive, but the signatures were. That's why you could have two different packages being used in the same market, that happened to share the same "music bed" portion of a theme cut. That Series 1 political cut you mentioned was also used in Great News, and at least 5 other packages. Five may be putting it mildly. That cut definitely got "around the block" if you know what I mean :D

#21 promoguy98, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    CircleSeven likes this.
  2. HoosierNewsie

HoosierNewsie Health Reporter

Speaking of newschannel, do you or does anyone here know which series of News channel WAFB used in the main open before the switch to CBS Local?

3. promoguy98

promoguy98 Primary Anchor

Huge edit: scratch everything I said if it went to your email as a notification.... I had WTOC on my mind when I posted and not WAFB! Not sure what they used, but I do know it was an updated series or New Generation cut. LoL

#23 promoguy98, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. HoosierNewsie

HoosierNewsie Health Reporter

Hahahaha!!! I've always been confused on that. It shares some series 5 beats but I also hear some new generation in it.

5. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

That teletype sounder has always been used as background noise for the legacy Group W all-news stations. KYW 1060 and 1010 WINS adopted it in 1965 and still use it; KFWB 980 adopted it in 1968 and used it until 2009, when it flipped to talk radio (after was ultimately placed into a dispersal trust).

plnewsfan likes this.
  6. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

Speaking of radio, I know that First News (the WDIV one) has been used by WCBS 880 for quite some time. Anybody know how long?

7. mposeymil

mposeymil Weekend Anchor

Since about 2005...

8. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

KTVU ran a teletype background up until the early 2000??? or later...
    Anyone actually know when KTVU ended it's TT sounder...after all some of the guys here might know the exact date it ended.

9. Charles

Charles Recovering Overnight Producer

Is this the headline bed that you're referring to when you say teletype? The music was swapped out in 2010 for something that sounded similar but was definitely more contemporary.

The bed heard at the beginning here actually (I don't think) was part of the original package. The headlines were read without any music until the late 90s.

10. ChesapeakeTV

ChesapeakeTV Covering North Georgia and The Tidewater

He's referring not to a headline bed, but an actual teletype sound effect that was run during studio shots. I know it was still in use in 1989, as seen here...

Charles and norcalTVfan like this.
  11. Ntropolis

Ntropolis News Director

WTOP was using First News a few years ago. Not sure if they are anymore.

12. Darius22

Darius22 Primary Anchor

all Univision Stations still uses a Package with the Turning Point Signature by Mark Haffner. the one they've used since 1997.

13. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

The signature might be the same (and actually it's slightly shorter now), but it's been recut at least twice.

AJClementeFan69 likes this.
  14. compubit

compubit Primary Anchor

They still are.

Jim

mposeymil and Ntropolis like this.
  15. lazynetjunkie

lazynetjunkie News Director

Even though WLS updated their music in 2013, they still use the same political cut they've been using since 1992..

24994J and speed053 like this.
  16. okcnewsman

okcnewsman Managing Editor

KFOR-TV Custom Music Package by Wow & Flutter (used since 1997)

17. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

That's definitely lasted a while. Heck, it's gone through two ownership changes.

I wanted to look up this company but got very few hits. It was the venture of Jerry Brunskill and Dale Goulett, who were in a band together called Limited Warranty. It was based in Minnesota until moving (at least partially) to Santa Monica in 2001.

They were still around in 2002 and making music aired on UPN, NBC and ABC. For UPN, they composed Turn it Up, the ID and image package that accompanied their logo change; other clients included the TV series She Spies (which lasted two seasons). Their work for ABC was the Movie of the Week open. By 2006, the theme for the syndicated Rachael Ray show was also in their portfolio.

In 2006/07, Wow+Flutter restructured as Gerald Brunskill Music (GBM), Wow and Flutter Post and Rellim Reeb Studios.

18. okcnewsman

Unfortunately that music won't survive a 3rd ownership change

19. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Yeah...then again, that's not something unique to Sinclair. It wouldn't survive most buyers these days.

20. okcnewsman

It probably wouldn't survive if KFOR were to be sold to Scripps or Raycom the only way how it survives is if Meredith gets KFOR