1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2017-18 Season Coverage

Discussion in 'Sport Center' started by rkolsen, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

2. Viper550

Viper550 News Director

3. Georgie56

Georgie56 Happy Warrior

4. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

The World Series isn't scheduled on Thursdays. They're only in trouble in the event of a rainout, which will probably happen this year just because.

Edit: they night not even carry TNF on the Fox Network those two weeks just to be safe. After all, they only would have 11 games in the network with this package.

24994J likes this.
  5. Georgie56

Georgie56 Happy Warrior

6. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

Wow, FIVE years. Certainly a surprise given the previous year-to-year contacts and the rumors that TNF could be phased out.

7. chris9277

chris9277 Assignment Editor

Didn't think the NFL would remove Thursday Night games completely, and for the length of tenure, it is in-line with the same contract expirations for Sunday afternoon/Sunday night/Monday night, so might be a slight surprise NFL committed to Thursday Night games for this long, people thought it would of been a shorter timeperiod, etc, however FOX wanted in on this a lot and NFL went with them for the right amount of money for a medium-long time instead of a shorter time and lesser money, which was what NBC/CBS were getting.

8. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Is there any reason why NBC is relegating the Super Bowl to NBC Universo in lieu of Telemundo? I mean Telemundo itself is airing the pregame from 2:30-6PM when the coverage moved to NBC Universo.

That being said NBC's SAP feed will be in Spanish for everything but the halftime portion. There's likely no need for it to carry descriptor audio due to commentary.

Per their guidance:

9. I was streaming WCAU's news this evening, and they're putting all of their postgame coverage on their Cozi channel; 10.1 is going right to This is Us right after the game. I could imagine the same in Boston as well.

10. WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10 Troglodyte Homunculus

Yeah I'm pretty sure that came down from corporate. With both markets having an NBC RSN, they probably want people to tune to them for post game coverage more than anything and have the broadcast stations handle the entertainment aspect of the night.

11. jerseyfla

jerseyfla Investigative Reporter

Well of course WCAU and WBTS will do that. The upcoming episode of This Is Us is almost the equivalent of Dallas’ “Who Shot J.R.?” with “How does Jack die?” it’s been a year and half cliffhanger question. My wife who is a die-hard Eagles fan is going to ride a real roller coaster of emotions tomorrow night if the Eagles win because TIU is one of our favorite shows.

12. rkolsen

Since the TIU episode is Super Bowl themed do you think they’d have time to cut in footage from tomorrow’s game and maybe some generic prerecorded comments about who won?

13. Viper550

Viper550 News Director

They ended up doing putting in actual footage from the game inside it, yes.

Also, one more tidbit to cap off the season; Good Morning Football is moving to Times Square at the NFL's new attraction there (which is at the new Edition hotel)

14. HowardSalwasser

HowardSalwasser Assignment Editor

#154 HowardSalwasser, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  15. Georgie56

Georgie56 Happy Warrior

I think this is to build more promotion for Thursday Night Football. I don’t think the NFL Draft would do well in ratings, especially with Big Bang on CBS and The Bachelor on ABC. It’s more of a cable event.

#155 Georgie56, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. mrschimpf

mrschimpf News Director

It's on purpose; Universo actually launched with the Super Bowl in 2015. NBC had tried to get SNF rights on Telemundo for years (they've been packaged with it since 2006) but the affiliates simply didn't want to pay the extra premium, along with league fears of split audiences if they didn't have broadcast ratings consolidated in one place.

Plus it's the NFL Network version; they have OK coverage but ESPN's equity is so overwhelming for that event.

17. rkolsen

That makes sense as stations pay for sports rights as “contributions”.

I didn’t realize the league didn’t want a seperate package of rights. I seem to remember a few years ago Telemundo aired a handful of SNF games.

18. CRThell

CRThell Primary Anchor

Having watched last year's draft, the NFL Network coverage is much more preferable over ESPN's coverage.

19. Georgie56

Georgie56 Happy Warrior

20. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

What's the current pecking order on which networks get to pick games first? This past season, I noticed that the 4:25 ET Fox and CBS games were the top matchups, followed by SNF, followed by either MNF or TNF depending on the week. Do the 4:25 ET games get priority over SNF now, or was that just bad luck with how the matchups turned out last year?

Part of the biggest issues with MNF and TNF is that they generally get some bad matchups. It's been worse these past few seasons since there haven't been as many top teams in the league. This past season, there were generally only one or two top matchups per week, and every other game was mediocre.

I actually feel like many weeks had better TNF games than MNF. Was MNF reduced to 4th in the pecking order?