Nexstar...again

Discussion in 'Corporate Chat' started by tyrannical bastard, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Greggo

Greggo Primary Anchor

The whole "Focused on family and community" line is clunky as hell but if they're gonna stick with it they should have that in the show opens instead of making the anchors say it.

Myron Falwell likes this.
  2. MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie

Agreed.. They don't sound enthused about it... It's almost an afterthought the way the say it

Greggo likes this.
  3. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

The weird thing about those opens is that the photography in all of them is beautiful. Like, major market beautiful.

They could have worked around the graphic shortfalls by making all their opens in the vein of the Today one and it'd have been fine. I don't get it.

Myron Falwell likes this.
  4. HoosierNewsie

HoosierNewsie Weekend Anchor

I was half asleep when I viewed the opens this morning, so I didn't pay much attention to what they said. After re-watching, I totally agree. Not only is it completely unnecessary, it sounds so forced and unenthoused when they are saying it.

5. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

CajunFirst.com now redirects to KLFY (was KADN's old site), and FortWayneHomepage.net now redirects to WANE (was WFFT's old site), although the primary domains have not *yet* changed.

6. IndyNewsOpens

IndyNewsOpens AM Anchor

It's like they tried to combine WNBC's old open with WPVI's open, but failed miserably.

Myron Falwell and Emarsee like this.
  7. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

The 23rd GM change since the MG deal ended.

#927 CircleSeven, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  8. compubit

compubit Primary Anchor

Remember, this is also the market where KATC has its own musical opening...

9. J1975am

J1975am Assignment Editor

The posted opening from KATC is used for Good Morning Acadiana only; for their other newscasts, they use cuts from Gari Media's "The One and Only" package (which they've used since 1998)....

10. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

11. KevCor

KevCor A NexTegnaStar Station

I love how the news release lists the shell corporation station renewals, as if they are no longer attempting to maintain a modicum of separateness.

12. KevCor

According to our partners at FTVLive, the Richmond Nexstar outlet WRIC sold the rights to breaking news coverage to a Richmond area personal injury attorney. No, really. On screen elements for breaking news will now be showing the logo of the law firm.

Cue the TVNT breaking news memery in 3...2...

24994J, mposeymil and onthesea like this.
  13. padrechuck

padrechuck Reporter

The former West Virginia Media Holdings stations that are now owned by Nexstar have intro-ed all of their newscast even long before being owned by Nexstar as: "Live from the Frontier Communications Studio.... 7News (or 12News, 13News, 59News) begins "NOW"!!!!!!

14. NEOMatrix

NEOMatrix aka Raycom's God of Destruction

Not really surprising. Nexstar sell rights to tickers and to weather segments sometimes.

15. Ntropolis

Ntropolis News Director

The difference with WRIC is that this is sponsorship of the breaking news segment. As FTVLive points out, the law firm's name will be on coverage of "breaking news" which will sound pretty distasteful when it's a tragic event.

Raymie, tw-804, mposeymil and 4 others like this.
  16. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Q: Who does Nexstar have an obligation to serve first?

The Viewers...or the shareholders?

17. KevCor

By selling sponsorship to the "breaking news" coverage, it does a couple of things. One is the distaste factor, but the other is that they will now be WAY MORE likely to actually use the breaking news banner, if only because some sponsor is going to want their money's worth.

Ntropolis likes this.
  18. MidwestTV

MidwestTV Station Group CEO

Just imagine it.

OPEN: "From WRIC, this is Breaking News, sponsored by Tronfeld West & Durrett."
    ANCHOR: "Good evening everyone, we have a major breaking news story sponsored by Tronfeld West and Durrett. A school bus carrying 45 elementary school children has just driven into an incinerator and exploded at Nasty Filth garbage dump in Richmond. All lives have been lost. If you are a parent or guardian of one of the children on the bus, our breaking news sponsors at Tronfeld West & Durrett highly encourage you to contact them to discuss what actions you can take next."

cg41386, mposeymil and onthesea like this.
  19. tw-804

tw-804 Primary Anchor

I watch WRIC sometimes, but I'll say this: REALLY?! *facepalm* Will other Nexstar stations be next?

20. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Who do you think pays for this coverage...the news fairies?

I don't agree with this....I don't like it...but until SOMEBODY FUNDS decent non-baised news coverage, this is what you will get.

Do you want the government involved in your news gathering????

How about "single payer" news coverage?

We have a free market system that other countries have tried, fought and failed to become.

Show me a better system...a better way another free country does it.

Politics have corrupted the downstream media...bias ooze's from every single newsroom in this country in one form (left right) or another.

You want solid breaking news coverage???
    You have to PAY for it.
    You want expensive choppers... Sponsor them with PAID sponsors...or get donations from sympathetic donors.
    You want top reporters??? Pay them!

You think news coverage is a "right"?

Pay for it...or get donors to do so....like these fringe advocacy groups that will NEVER donate a single dime to support decent news coverage....but are happy to extort millions for their own political coffers.