News 12 Networks

Discussion in 'Station Chatter' started by Smitha A, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

Again I have only seen NEWS 12 one time how is the channel like is it like NY1

2. Williams1402

Williams1402 AM Anchor

I don’t watch News12, but it’s not like NY1 since that channel only broadcasts media to all boroughs of New York City (at least for those who have Time Warner Cable). News12 is more of a tri-state area news station.

3. Williams1402

Williams1402 AM Anchor

Not a lot of people in Staten Island that I know of really uses Charter (aside from their Spectrum cable boxes). Same for Manhattan and Queens. So it wouldn’t matter for the majority of those boroughs, but it wouldn’t be a good idea for a company like Altice.

4. NowBergen

NowBergen AM Anchor

Actually, the News 12 networks are hyper local. I can speak only for News 12 New Jersey and most of the news in NJ centric. Very little from LI, Bronx, Rockland/Westchester, or CT. They are regional, but not tri state, hyper regional in reality.

5. Williams1402

Williams1402 AM Anchor

Well, you're right. I'm from Staten Island and I don't even have News12 on my cable package. So it doesn't really cover all of the boroughs in NYC.

6. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

What you mean by this are you talking about those bootleg Analog boxes from the 90s that TWC cracked down and shut down back in 2013 my uncle had one of those

7. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

I think he meant that it could be tri state operation.News 12 is carried on TWC in Brooklyn also

8. Williams1402

Williams1402 AM Anchor

I mean that not a lot of people that I know had Charter before it had Time Warner Cable. I didn’t mention anything about bootleg cable boxes.

Yeah, I meant that it was a tri-state operation. However, it doesn’t carry every area of New York City (Staten Island and Queens) and most of upstate New York.

Osman likes this.
  9. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

I say Queens and Staten Island get underserved by the local Newscasts NY1 does a great job covering those areas for TV only way to get Queens or Staten Island News besides NY1 is the Staten Island Advance or Queens Tribune

10. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

I kinda wish Fios expanded their FIOS 1 operation to NYC but I doubt that would happen they expanded to Hudson Valley in 2014 besides Fios 1 is a partnership with WRNN TV

Williams1402 likes this.
  11. Williams1402

Williams1402 AM Anchor

Well, NY1 treats all boroughs of New York City. So it wouldn’t be like it’s a big deal for anybody outside of Brooklyn and Queens to get News12. Especially when a lot of Staten Islanders still get the Staten Island Advance.

12. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

NY1 feeds a Queens and Staten Island Newscast every half hour to Cable headends in Queens and Staten Island

13. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

FIOS 1 NYC could work on small budget I mean they running a tri state operation from WRNN TV in Westchester County

14. Williams1402

Williams1402 AM Anchor

Yeah. Considering they report on anything within the five boroughs.

15. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

They cover the Boroughs well

Williams1402 likes this.
  16. NowBergen

NowBergen AM Anchor

If Staten Island is not an Altice (Cablevision/Optimum) territory, there is no News12 Staten Island. The News12 stations were placed where the old Cablevision had their systems: Long Island, a good portion of NJ, Bronx, Rockland/Westchester and Connecticut. Altice has extensive coverage in NJ, and made deals for Comcast areas in Essex and Middlesex County and TimeWarner/Spectrum in eastern Bergen to carry News12NJ. No deals with Verizon or satellite. Optimum only just added NY1 to their lineup in NJ, and it is no where the quality of News12 plus only reports NYC news, which is not as important as having a NJ based broadcast.

17. Williams1402

Williams1402 AM Anchor

I'm probably not hoping that Verizon would bring in News12 for their NYC citizens, since the city already has too much local news stations within the area. All of which are covered by all 5 boroughs.

18. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

NY1 was in NJ for a while but in Bergen County and had a local NJ newscast until 2014

19. Osman

Osman Health Reporter

Doubtful tho I heard Fios 1 is carried in Brooklyn in areas served by Altice

20. Williams1402

Williams1402 AM Anchor

Just in Brooklyn within Altice areas? That seems very limited, especially for those who have FiOS outside of Brooklyn.