NBC's Storm Rangers and Weather Expanisions

Discussion in 'The Weather Lab' started by rkolsen, Jul 31, 2016.

1. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

They've been in parades and KNSD was training last month. I think some of the Telemundo O&Os are training.

Edit: Also the Rangers can only really work up to 65 knots (74.8MPH), they can handle 78 knot gusts (89.7MPH) and can survive (but I assume not operate) 130 knots (149.6 MPH). So they are probably being cautious and I guess will be place farther inland as it goes to a tropical storm.

EEC through Accelerated Media Technologies have made them as trailers and several have gone various militaries.

#101 rkolsen, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

There's a real mystery here.

I poked around some on Twitter. Apparently the west coast Storm Ranger arrived yesterday. I'm assuming it's the west coast one because the only station that mentioned it was KNTV, and they mentioned the @stormranger account which lists it's location as San Francisco. I thought that truck was based out of KNBC in LA, but it seems to spend a lot of time in SF based on the tweets from earlier this year.

However, that still makes one wonder what's up with the KXAS truck if they're having to send the west coast one there.

Telemundo Houston was training on the StormRanger in June, but again, it was the West Coast one (California plates).

KXAS' Ranger was supposed to be shared with Chicago, and I doubt they're using it right now.

You'd think with how much hype they gave these things, there'd be more than one tweet from a station in San Francisco about it. And you'd think if KXAS' was running, NBC O&O's would be going bonkers promoting that not one but two of their noisy toys were running around in the hurricane.

#102 Weeters, Aug 25, 2017
  3. rkolsen

If I remember correctly it did spend a ton of time up in San Francisco. They would park it up at their transmitter site and let it run. Jeff Raneiri seemed to be the one tweeting and instagramming the most about it.

San Francisco probably had the most difficult weather compared to San Diego. It's not really needed by LA as they have there own radars.

Also @Weeters check out my initial reply on why they may not be placed in the direct path. Which based on Jeff's tweet was proved false.

Edit: It appears that the data is being used on MSNBC.

#103 rkolsen, Aug 25, 2017
  4. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

I would have sent all 4 of those Storm Buggys to the hurricane. I would have parked them at FEMA and Red Cross command post...and made damn sure we got plenty of pics and video next to those FEMA sat units, and Red Cross ERV's.

"Oh Bluto...we can't do that because it cost money and overtime."

NBC us.

MidwestTV, rkolsen and Weeters like this.
  5. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

This is what got me. They essentially could have surrounded the thing as it moved on shore with their 3 or 4 wonderful, amazing, terrific mobile radars, far outside the high wind areas.

Eat News likes this.
  6. Eat News

Yup!

You are right. They could have "owned" the story...across "all platforms"...

NBC may have just had it's..

"Katrina Moment"

Weeters likes this.
  7. rkolsen

All I've seen is that they've been working on training people over the last few months.

One thing I'm thinking that may have made them reluctant to deploy them is that it's not a quick operation. Apparently to get the device setup and running takes several hours and likewise to breakdown.

8. rkolsen

One was deployed.

9. WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10 Troglodyte Homunculus

WCAU had their's out today on the Delaware Beach covering the tropical system that made its way up the east coast.

10. rkolsen

I was thinking that maybe the truck gets its branding group wide when live shots are being done. Data was definitely being transmitted from the one in Texas to NBC News.

11. MidwestTV

MidwestTV Station Group CEO

I still cannot fathom why LA, which only averages 15 inches of rain a year, has ANY need of a Storm Ranger, especially when they were in the midst of such a drought.

NBC dropped the ball on this. They had a perfect opportunity to have ALL of their trucks down there scanning the storm and providing valuable information not just to KXAS, KPRC, and KIII, but to the National Weather Service as well. To METEOROLOGY on a whole! They could have collected data that could have been studied for years down the road.

Instead they wasted it. As a scientist that really royally pisses me off.

12. rkolsen

From what I understand the station group and network can receive any Storm Ranger output. I'm sure the one that was down there's data has been collected.

13. Eat News

We all imagine NBC staffing these things with dedicated crews, a reporter...running and gunning ahead of the storm. Doing live hits every 30 mins...saving babies and wrangling gators and reporting looters.

Not so fast...
    NBC is not really interested in spending the money it takes to staff the Storm Buggy's. NBC would rather train and staff it with a single MMJ..,.on short local deployments. There is only half ass sharing and very little "coordination" between markets.

NBC would get better use out of the Buggy's if they just gut the radomes...and turn them into giant coffee urns.

14. WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10 Troglodyte Homunculus

This is correct. This is also includes the group's stationary Dopplers as well.

15. rkolsen

I watched an Instagram story from one of WBTS's photographers treks down to WCAU to pick up the Storm Ranger. The photog caught a flight this AM to Philly and drove the Storm Ranger the 320 some miles back to WBTS.

So be on the look out. I imagine it will be on display for the season opener where the Chiefs play the Patriots.

Edit: Whenever the last hurricane went up the eastern seaboard the Storm Ranger followed the storm up the coast to about Delaware but it didn't go any farther. Steve Sosna was the reporter for the various NBC stations and they used WRC's Storm Team 4x4 as part of their caravan.